Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA CUP V PORTSMOUTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Ah f88k I will have to go and look at it again now. I seen it a few times yest and didnt think it was a pen.

Bear in mind itw as down the Pompey end when I saw it in real life, but the replays I saw this morning say it was a peno for me. It's not about getting the ball, it's the hands on contact that makes it a peno.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/5337613/

Dindane made the most of it though, but like Mascherano vs Valencia a couple of weeks back.

DAwson probably close enough to make it yellow only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Haven't seen a replay of the penalty decision, so can't say for sure whether it was nailed on or not.

The first goal was unfortunate as dawson slipped as the ball came across him... just wasn't to be ... as the game wore on it looked like it wasn't going to be and i'm glad the few pints in the Green man beforehand dulled the pain a little.

Anyway, i've put the dissapointment to bed, and looking forward to Wednesday. Can't get to the game myself so will have to make do with watching it on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

mickman wrote: »
    if he got a straight red, wud that have been just a 1 match suspension? if so, wilson should have given the ref a kick up the arse to get sent off :-)

we need to bounce back, a draw / win wed night and we are still in it.

ha, ha - be more like a one year ban for kicking the ref I'd say..

TBH I am glad we have the gooners on wed, what more could you want to motivate you than that. Yes Wilson is out but they are also missing some of their most influencial players so no excuses.. 3 points please...COYS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Bear in mind itw as down the Pompey end when I saw it in real life, but the replays I saw this morning say it was a peno for me. It's not about getting the ball, it's the hands on contact that makes it a peno.

Dindane made the most of it though, but like Mascherano vs Valencia a couple of weeks back.

ronan.i dont think it should have been given. just looked at it there and it just dosent look a peno to me. fair enough if u say putting his hands on him is a peno but its rarely given for just that little bit of contact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

It was a peno lads, and by the rules of the game he could have got a red.

Why was it a peno?

As I saw it , it wasn't a peno. He didn't come from behind, he didn't follow through with his other leg, his first touch got the ball and not the man and it wasn't cynical.

Now your explanation as to why you think it was a peno please! :)

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Why was it a peno?

As I saw it , it wasn't a peno. He didn't come from behind, he didn't follow through with his other leg, his first touch got the ball and not the man and it wasn't cynical.

Now your explanation as to why you think it was a peno please! :)

It's quite simple, he has his hands on the Pompey player who loses his balance, therefore Wiley has to give it. The fact he wins the ball is immaterial. Whether Dindane made the most of it is immaterial

We will have to disagree on this one Ro. Just looked at it again a few times and it looks even more like a dive to me. See what you are saying about the hand on contact - but I dont belive there was any pressure, his hand was on Dindane but he couldnt have got to the ball without being that close, Dindane just threw himself on the floor. Anyway its done now.

ronan.i dont think it should have been given. just looked at it there and it just dosent look a peno to me. fair enough if u say putting his hands on him is a peno but its rarely given for just that little bit of contact

The fact it is rarely given doesn't mean it shouldn't be given.

And to clarify, the cutoff for 10 yellows was 2nd April was it not? That means Wilson will be available Wednesday night?

It's quite simple, he has his hands on the Pompey player who loses his balance, therefore Wiley has to give it. The fact he wins the ball is immaterial. Whether Dindane made the most of it is immaterial

You see thats it I dont believe the Pompey player "lost his balance" I believe he threw himself on the ground. Suppose thats the way of the game these days and if we got it I wouldnt have complained..

And to clarify, the cutoff for 10 yellows was 2nd April was it not? That means Wilson will be available Wednesday night?

Think it was 12 Apr. Will check it out to be sure though.

• Advertisement

I thought the cut off was April 11th .... although i could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

There's no having to give it on him. Thats why peno decisions get waved away every weekend, because the ref doesn't fall for it. The ref called it wrong IMO, that combined with the disallowed goal and the fact the Brown was on the pitch just leaves a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

We should have won it ourselves on our own back and our failure to put the ball in the net has ultimately cost us. They were still poor calls by the ref though and you cant take that away either.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I'm absolutely sick but, you know what, I've been absolutely sick a hundred times before after Spurs games and I've recovered. The team that wanted it more won it and their supporters were outstanding. I have to agree with the majority here that it wasn't a penalty. However whan I saw it in real-time yesterday I thought that it was so I can't really blame the ref - FIFA should be using technology to decide these issues.

Are you right in saying that the cut-off for Wilson' nine yellows was April 2nd - I thought that it was after yesterday's game. I am fairly sure that the ITV commentators said that he was now suspended for two games......

cut off was midnight last night as far as i know. his name aint on the fa.com site yet but ssn say he is out.

if you look at the rules then we should also have had a peno from bales cross. finnan raised his arms and the ball hit one, thats a peno but didnt get it. i dont think the refs know all the rules at all tbh.

if wilson is gone wed night, who will play CM. hudd had ice on his ankle after being taken off yesterday and was off the pace a little anyway i thought. we could be really short in CM wed night.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    There's no having to give it on him. Thats why peno decisions get waved away every weekend, because the ref doesn't fall for it. The ref called it wrong IMO, that combined with the disallowed goal and the fact the Brown was on the pitch just leaves a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

Mate, once Palacios puts his arm on him there is a real chance a ref will give that. In real time it looks very much like he is pulled down, hence the decision. I know Dindane makes the most of it, I'd expect one of ours to do the same.

I've had a read of a number of match reports now and none of them dispute the peno, but all say the disallowed goal was a joke decision.

Mate, once Palacios puts his arm on him there is a real chance a ref will give that. In real time it looks very much like he is pulled down, hence the decision. I know Dindane makes the most of it, I'd expect one of ours to do the same.

I've had a read of a number of match reports now and none of them dispute the peno, but all say the disallowed goal was a joke decision.

did you see james reaction to the camera after our goal was disallowed. he was there with a big smile on his face saying "phew, what a let off". that said it all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree with it not being a peno. Dindane left his trailing leg behind and fell over but in fairness to Wiley in real-time it looked like a peno, and if it was the other way around we would've expected a peno too.

Outside this, Wiley had a shocker and I firmly believe that Wembley should not host another important match until they sort that pitch out as somebody could get seriously injured. Two yellow cards were given out (one to each team) due to players going in for a tackle and slipping on the surface, making it look all the worse and I've never seen so many players slip in one match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Palacios is listed as suspended on FA site now..

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/SuspensionLists

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I was worried before the match that Pompey would come with the gameplan that they did. That gameplan was to play with 11 men behind the ball, defend like hell and hit us on the break. They performed their plan to perfection and along with some big help from the ref ruined our day.

We weren't outplayed and the stats show we were the dominant team over the 120 minutes but sure that's football. A slip by Dawson on a crap pitch and a couple of dodgy decisions from the official and that's it.

Tottenham - Portsmouth
    • 0 Goals 2
    • 9 Shots on Target 7
    • 18 Shots off Target 6
    • 13 Blocked Shots 2
    • 20 Corners 7
    • 19 Fouls 17
    • 5 Offsides 0
    • 3 Yellow Cards 2
    • 80.8 Passing Success 66.7
    • 20 Tackles 27
    • 80 Tackles Success 74.1
    • 63.7 Possession 36.3
    • 60.6 Territorial Advantage 39.4
    I was gutted yesterday and still am but on reflection now, I look at it and think it just wasn't going to be our day. Everything pointed to a shock result. The media and every neutral football fan got what they wanted.

I just hope the extra time hasn't taken too much out of the players for Wednesday night as we need a morale boosting result more than ever now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Shame is the only word that sums it all up for me. The FA should be ashamed they let 4 teams play on that pitch this weekend, it directly contributed to the crucial first goal, 2 yellow cards and a leniency towards Michael Brown who should have been sent off long before. The football authorities should also be ashamed of the refereeing standard in the game, see Michael Brown point before we even get onto the penalty or the disallowed goal. I was livid watching but have calmed a good bit today.

A team down to bare bones who haven’t been paid twice this season still had higher motivation than some of the overpaid prima donnas in white yesterday, that the sad reality. Blaming refs and pitches whilst valid don't hide the fact we couldn’t score against a team on 14 points & with no squad morale [allegedly]. Without going into it in too much detail I’ve said before non manys a time we contribute to the dross we see at Spurs. We will hero worship some of these players whilst they take us for fools. The club from top to bottom does not foster a winning mentality we are happy being loved and getting pats on the back. I know this and still support Tottenham. I am never expecting them to win anything no matter who the manager is and no matter what players we have.

We blamed Lasagne in 2006, we can blame the pitch in 2010. We should only really be blaming ourselves, the sooner we do the closer some of the newer fans of the club will get the success they deserve.
    Forget about Wednesday and this season, its only window dressing. Any question I needed answering about this team came about in Anfield in January when they failed yet again when we expected them to deliver.

• Advertisement

dont think wed night will be classed as window dressing if we wine

im worried about it though, i think we could get creamed

dont see lennon being fit, hudd is a doubt after yesterday, wilson is out

our midfield could be

---bentley modric kaboul bale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

dont think wed night will be classed as window dressing if we wine

im worried about it though, i think we could get creamed

dont see lennon being fit, hudd is a doubt after yesterday, wilson is out

our midfield could be

---bentley modric kaboul bale

The only satisfaction I will derive from Wednesday is we might deny FC Taliban the title, as for us finishing 4th forget it.

if we have to go to Burnley to win on final day after beating City in Manchester we will find a way to screw it up and blame someone else.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Did you get sorted for Bolton game mate?

No mate - still hoping to get a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I thought we played well given the conditions certainly felt we played considerably better then they did but after dawsons slip and the goal dissalowed you knew it wouldn't be our day real kick in the teeth to have palacios banned the day before the ten card watershed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

It was a peno lads, and by the rules of the game he could have got a red.

Some of the reactions on here have been pretty embarressing tbh, I do wonder why some of you even bother "supporting" the team...

That's not aimed at mickman btw.

ill disagree wth u reckless in that i dont think it was a pen but once it was given i think he had to produce the red card. now thats just a difference of opinion. i can see why some would give it and some would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Lads, I find it laughable that all most people can do is make excuse after excuse. The ref, the peno, the pitch blah blah blah. The biggest problem was ourselves. We were very poor. Too many times we resorted to trying to hit Crouch and work off his knock ons, something which Grant appeared to probably expect from us.

Yes we made some decent chances, but we were bound to due to the talent throughout our side. But too many fellas didn't perform. Bale was excellent again, he was a constant threat and his deliveries were good, although not brilliant. At least he did his job, unlike our right winger who was invisible.

As for the peno, it was probably 50/50, but if it was the other way around, we would be screaming blue murder if it wasn't given, so I have no complaint with it.

Nobody to blame but ourselves.

And another thing, those of you who are/were embarrased to be a Spurs fan yesterday, dont support us if thats how you feel when we get beat. Do something else with your time/money.

No mate - still hoping to get a ticket

I'll keep my eyes open and text you if I can get one.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Lads, I find it laughable that all most people can do is make excuse after excuse. The ref, the peno, the pitch blah blah blah. The biggest problem was ourselves. We were very poor. Too many times we resorted to trying to hit Crouch and work off his knock ons, something which Grant appeared to probably expect from us.

Yes we made some decent chances, but we were bound to due to the talent throughout our side. But too many fellas didn't perform. Bale was excellent again, he was a constant threat and his deliveries were good, although not brilliant. At least he did his job, unlike our right winger who was invisible.

As for the peno, it was probably 50/50, but if it was the other way around, we would be screaming blue murder if it wasn't given, so I have no complaint with it.

Nobody to blame but ourselves.

And another thing, those of you who are/were embarrased to be a Spurs fan yesterday, dont support us if thats how you feel when we get beat. Do something else with your time/money.

agree with all this tbh. We had our chances and didnt take them.
    Never be embarassed to support the Spurs - I brought the youngfella training yesterday, wore the jersey and took the slaggings (as did he at 8 years old).Its part and parcel of following the spurs, its a rollercoaster. COYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Got back from the game yesterday and painfully watched a rerun..We were shocking from top to bottom, no drive no passion. We may have dominated possession but we rarely did owt with it. Bale and Modric were great but we need 11 players wanting to win

Ive never been a fan of harry but really getting pissed off with his predictability now. And why take off Defoe and leave that streak off piss crouch up front.

Was at Anfield when again we blew it and came to the conclusion that we will never be anything other than a run of the mill top six team at best.

Kinda hoping we dont qualify for champs league as getting knock out in the qualifiers for that would just be unbearable..

Not only do i think we'll lose tomorrow but i think we will be embarrassed by the gooners, their gonna stick the knife in and twist it good.1-3 loss i reckon. season over

• Advertisement

nah .. we'll stuff em 3-0 :D

Advertisement