Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recomened Polish and wax

• 04-04-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi
    I want to polish and wax my Black Toyota Avensis
    What are the best products to use for this
    There are some light scratches and the colour is starting to fade a bit and i want to restore it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

I'd clay it then use the Megs step 2 and 3 wax, polish thing, no need for step 1 if you clay it. If you don't feel like claying it use all three steps, cleaner, polish, wax :)

Megs is great stuff, no powdery residue. Wouldn't wax or poish a car in these low temps though to be honest. Here's a before and after of a then 12 year old car ........

2007_0410celica0008.jpg

2007_0414celica0008.jpg

2007_0610Celica_claybarred0010.jpg

2007_0610Celica_claybarred0008.jpg

2007_0610Celica_claybarred0004.jpg

You may find that swirl marks are the enemy with a black car, use plenty of terry cloth and turn , replace it frequently to reduce the swirls, you will get them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

not an expert by any means, but I always use T-Cut in small sections, and then polish up with Autoglym resin polish, and then the Autoglym high gloss as a finish - always brings any car up a treat. I always use the Meguiars tyre dressing (the one in the purple bottle).

The autoglym high gloss is marvellous tack too, I would sometimes out that on over the Autoglym, 'tis like water to apply, need to leave it dry for a good while though :) I used to be a big fan of the SRP but the powder irked me.

RoverJames wrote: »
    'tis like water to apply, need to leave it dry for a good while though :)

I know! must be the easiest thing to apply on the planet! :D

Anyone use a proper carnuba wax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sudo911 wrote: »
    Anyone use a proper carnuba wax?

Me.. :D

Black car

Polish with Autoglym SRP
    Wax with Harly Wax
    Awesome depth in the finish
    Looks wet all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

You may find that swirl marks are the enemy with a black car, use plenty of terry cloth and turn , replace it frequently to reduce the swirls, you will get them though.

If you use the right applicators and microfiber towels it'd be very unlikely you'd marr the paint.

See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

The autoglym high gloss is marvellous tack too, I would sometimes out that on over the Autoglym, 'tis like water to apply, need to leave it dry for a good while though :) I used to be a big fan of the SRP but the powder irked me.

I hate the powder marks with Autoglym too, I always end up missing a few of them no matter how many times I walk around the car looking for them. Only reason I use Autoglym is because I got a set of it with the wife's car last year.

vectra wrote: »
    Me.. :D

Black car

Polish with Autoglym SRP
    Wax with Harly Wax
    Awesome depth in the finish
    Looks wet all the time

Never used it before, how easy is it to put on or take off? Last time I used a proper wax, I think I lost 2 stone after the amount of elbow grease required!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

As RoverJames said, Meguiars all the way!

Seperate does this kind of thing professionally for a living so it'd be good to listen to him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Never used it before, how easy is it to put on or take off? Last time I used a proper wax, I think I lost 2 stone after the amount of elbow grease required!! :P

The newer Carnauba waxes are fine to take off. Trick is to just do one panel at a time, don't wax the whole car and then buff off. Some waxes need time cure, but most can be buffed off almost straight away now.

I've never used Harly wax before. Meguiar's #16 in the link above is a good wax for the money. It last reasonably long, and gives a great warm shine on well prepared paint.

• Advertisement

Seperate wrote: »
    If you use the right applicators and microfiber towels it'd be very unlikely you'd marr the paint.

See here.

Many thanks for that :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Some one that works in one of the bodyshops in dublin posted about some autoglym stuff. I remember he polished a red 5 series and it came up savage.
    Roverjames can you stop putting pics of that celica up as i have already destroyed a laptop from drulling and foaming from the mouth:D

The newer Carnauba waxes are fine to take off. Trick is to just do one panel at a time, don't wax the whole car and then buff off. Some waxes need time cure, but most can be buffed off almost straight away now.

I've never used Harly wax before. Meguiar's #16 in the link above is a good wax for the money. It last reasonably long, and gives a great warm shine on well prepared paint.

I use the autosmart canuabra wax with a machine but i use the compound head to polish it off. Am i doing it wrong as the lads said your the expert:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

You only really use high speeds with a polisher when using abrasive compounds and polishes, as the abrasives have to be broken down fully to do the job properly. If they are not broken down fully you get swirls marks a plenty. When waxing there are no abrasives to be broken down, so slower speeds are the way to go. Polishing pads will also be firmer to help cut the paint, where as waxing pads are softer so as to be gentle on it. Also you use some downward pressure when polishing but none when waxing.

It is ok to wax by machine so long as you use a soft foam pad with an orbital polisher, not a rotary one and at a slow speed with no real pressure. If you dampen the pad first, wax spreads that little bit better. You just want to apply a really thin coat, not a thick one. A machine polisher will spread out the wax more evenly, but waxing by hand is sort of therapeutic. The residue you remove afterwards is effectively wastage, so the thinner you apply the wax without letting it dry too long, where it hardens, the easier it will be to buff off. You can also use a quick detailer to help remove the residue if it becomes difficult to remove. Something that is more likely to happen in the case of paste waxes as they are more concentrated. It is much safer to buff by hand with soft microfibre cloths, than a machine fitted with the wrong or generic bonnets, to minimise the risk of marking paintwork.

Thanks for that. I was doing the complete opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Applicator ab=nd nothing other than decent microfibre cloths.

Once the paint is properly cleaned prior to using it, Harly Wax goes on like butter. Comes off nice and easy as well.
    My car is over 2 years old. Very VERY few swirl marks visible to the naked eye.

Harley wax purchased from this very relaible seller ==Woods Automotive << The one here includes 4 very good microfibre cloths and he normally includes a good quality applicator.

Wax67-500.jpg

Advertisement