Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrot growing advice needed please

Options
  • 04-04-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I considered sowing carrots today but fear it's too cold yet plus there was a frost last night. (North east of Ireland).

The site is a raised bed which was covered in autumn leaves last October but they didn't rot down over winter so I removed them last week. The bed needed topping up so I put two bags of old peat free compost which I used to grow potatoes in last year. Should I fork this in or just sow directly in to the compost? The soil underneath is heavyish clay but not compacted from walking on as it's in a raised bed.

Also, I fancy having a go at growing long carrots in an old dustbin for a country show in August. Can anyone suggest how to go about this ie sowing rate and growing medium etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

Light sandy soil, no stones, sift it before you sow the carrots. It might also help if you plant a small bit of parsley and garlic in with the carrots to discourage pests.

johno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks. I have heavy clay soil unfortunately but they did alright in previous years. I'll be planting onion sets and garlic in the same bed.

Is the old compost alright to sow in to or should it be mixed in? At present it's in a layer about 3" thick on top of the soil. It looks very fine and neat but I'm concerned about it drying out as peat free compost is prone to. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

I planted my carrots and onions before the frost. Can anyone tell me if i need to start again? has it been a waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

you need to get most of not all of the stones out of the soil tbh. stones make the carrots split and grow all wonky. They also don't like too rich a soil either, so don't ver do it on the compost/manure mixes.

I have soil that is also quite heavy on the clay, and I had a great crop last year. Just watch out for the carrot fly, and the slugs, they love baby carrots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Stacey.x

lmfao
    My Auntie and Uncle grow carrots :)
    and all sorts of vegetables.

• Advertisement
Advertisement