Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast/Odyssey safe?

Options
  • 04-04-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

:DThis is my first time posting on boards.ie so sorry if i make any mistakes :confused:!!sorry for the length of my post but heres my question:
    Im 16 and want to go to a westlife concert sometime in may this year!:Dwell im all for going but my mother is completely the opposite!:(:(were from Connacht in Ireland!My Mother thinks its too dangerous in Belfast!She still thinks it has major troubles:confused:?But i dont really know?Has it?is it safe to attend a concert up the north and be at the odyssey arena at night?:confused:?Iv read alot of posts both on here and on Yahoo answers and it seems its safe?:Dbut i just want to show my mother the responses to this post!!also we have a southern ireland reg on our car!can this cause any problems with people up the north?!I realise The north has come on alot in recent years but my mother has me terrified from stories shes telling me but then she was born in the 60`s so she has a pretty bad view of it!!:(so can i have your opinions please?:DThanks in advance:rolleyes::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've been up to Belfast quite a few times, i also drive a Dub reg car, as with all cities in the world there can be dangers, although i've never encountered any in Belfast and i've been to the Odyssey twice.
    I stay at The Stormont Hotel, great 4star hotel for a great price, park the car in the car park there (free) and get a cab to the odyssey.

You not thought about going to see Westlife at Croker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mary_

scudzilla wrote: »
    I've been up to Belfast quite a few times, i also drive a Dub reg car, as with all cities in the world there can be dangers, although i've never encountered any in Belfast and i've been to the Odyssey twice.
    I stay at The Stormont Hotel, great 4star hotel for a great price, park the car in the car park there (free) and get a cab to the odyssey.

You not thought about going to see Westlife at Croker?

Thanks for the really fast reply:D:Dthats brilliant makes me feel alot better about going:D:Dand looks like theres more hope of convincing my mother:rolleyes::p:Dwell yep im going to see them in croker too its just we have bad seats so im dissappointed with them:(and next year i have the leaving cert so i wont be able to go to any concert so im going to try make up for it this summer and in may hopefully:rolleyes::D....but thanks sooo much for the information,greatly appreciated:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

We are from Galway and we are moving to Belfast next week.....to work and live. We travelled up last week to have a look around and we had a great time. We stayed at the Hilton and while we were there we popped into the Waterfront Centre next door to have a quick peek. It was very busy.... with... I think... the 'Schools Choir' competition. Lots of teenagers in school uniforms at the intermission with their families ....full of chat and excitement. People having fun just like you would see in Town Hall Theatre here in Galway any night of the week. We found Belfast people to be friendly helpful and cheerful. The Belfast people are very proud of their city and so they should be... it is very beautiful. Your mum should not worry in fact she should look forward to having a really nice time. I would feel safer in Belfast than Dublin anyday....and I am from Dublin originally. By the way you can get the bus from Galway to Dublin and train from Dublin direct to Belfast. €10 one way for each.
    http://www.gobus.ie/
    http://www.translink.co.uk/future/ENT_5_I.asp

barefoot wrote: »
    We are from Galway and we are moving to Belfast next week.....to work and live. We travelled up last week to have a look around and we had a great time. We stayed at the Hilton and while we were there we popped into the Waterfront Centre next door to have a quick peek. It was very busy.... with... I think... the 'Schools Choir' competition. Lots of teenagers in school uniforms at the intermission with their families ....full of chat and excitement. People having fun just like you would see in Town Hall Theatre here in Galway any night of the week. We found Belfast people to be friendly helpful and cheerful. The Belfast people are very proud of their city and so they should be... it is very beautiful. Your mum should not worry in fact she should look forward to having a really nice time. I would feel safer in Belfast than Dublin anyday....and I am from Dublin originally. By the way you can get the bus from Galway to Dublin and train from Dublin direct to Belfast. €10 one way for each.
    http://www.gobus.ie/
    http://www.translink.co.uk/future/ENT_5_I.asp

thats really great:D:Dthings are really looking good:D:Dseems nothing bad to be said really:D:D:rolleyes:and its great to hear you were born in dublin and feel safer in Belfast:Dthat will definately sway my mothers opinion to Belfast....:D:rolleyes:i was actually thinking of staying at the hilton if i do get to go to the concert!!do you know if its close to Odyssey Arena?it says on the website ten minutes but they tend to exaggerate alot:P...thanks so much for the links:DYour response was great help:DThank You:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

mary_ wrote: »
    thats really great:D:Dthings are really looking good:D:Dseems nothing bad to be said really:D:D:rolleyes:and its great to hear you were born in dublin and feel safer in Belfast:Dthat will definately sway my mothers opinion to Belfast....:D:rolleyes:i was actually thinking of staying at the hilton if i do get to go to the concert!!do you know if its close to Odyssey Arena?it says on the website ten minutes but they tend to exaggerate alot:P...thanks so much for the links:DYour response was great help:DThank You:D

You said in an earlier post that you're driving up, be aware that the Hilton does NOT have a car park, they use a pay and display around the corner, that will add over 20 notes for a days stay, probably more.

That's one of the reasons i stay in the Stormont, free parking, at the moment they're charging £65 for a room (2 peeps) through bookings.com, and it's a nice 4 star hotel.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    You said in an earlier post that you're driving up, be aware that the Hilton does NOT have a car park, they use a pay and display around the corner, that will add over 20 notes for a days stay, probably more.

That's one of the reasons i stay in the Stormont, free parking, at the moment they're charging £65 for a room (2 peeps) through bookings.com, and it's a nice 4 star hotel.

Thanks again.:oi need to look up stormont hotel so:Dreally looking for cheapest i can find:Dit looks like wel be going by train or bus now!mams not the best driver and cant bare traffic:(but i dont mind how we get there as long as its cheap and as long as we get there:DThanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The Odyssey Arena is completely safe. It's all enclosed so you won't have scumbags inside and there is always security around.

:D:DThanks for your help everyone that replied:D:Dyou have all helped to convince my mother its really not that dangerous and now were going:D:DThanks again!!!:rolleyes::D

Advertisement