Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca -v- Arsenal, Champions League Q/Final 2nd Leg

• 04-04-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

UEFA Champions League
    (2-2)
    th_1708-16.png34tai46.pngth_602-17.png
    Camp Nou
    Tuesday, 6 April 2010
    7:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Piqué, Puyol, Fàbregas, Gallas, Arshavin, Ibra and Iniesta will all be absent either through injury or suspension so its fair to say neither will be at full strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think out of the absentees on both sides, Arsenal are hit far worse than Barca.

Barca have tonnes of options at CB with Marquez, Abidal, Toure, Milito and Chry-whatsisname all available.

And judging by last nights display Bojan will fill in capably for Ibra.

Barca to win quite easily.

I'll go 3-0 because I'm feeling saucy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Will it be Bojan or Henry to start in Zlatan's place?

Sol played 90 minutes yesterday but I reckon he will start. Denilson impressed when he came on against Barca. I'd leave Walcott on the bench to come on and rape Maxwell like he did last week, maybe something like this:

Almunia
    Sagna Campbell Vermaelen Clichy
    Song
    Denilson Diaby
    Rosicky/Eboue Nasri
    Bendtner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

With Arsenal missing fabregas, arshavin and gallas, I can only see Barca going through tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    With Arsenal missing fabregas, arshavin and gallas, I can only see Barca going through tbh.

Even with these players it still would of been a walkover for Barca . . Arshavin tends to dissapear in important games . . Gallas is top quality , but no leader, which really just leaves fabrecas as the only reliable top quality player on the arsenal squad . .

This should be a comfi win for the spanish outfit as the 2-2 draw didnt even paper over the beating that Arsenal should of really gotten . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Going by the first leg I'd be inclined to drop Diaby and play Song, Nasri and Denilson in the middle. I'd also prefer to leave Walcott on the bench til the 60th minute cos I doubt he'll be as effective from the start.

Barca still clear favourites, unless of course Xavi and Messi get struck down with some mystery illness in the mean time.

Jigga wrote: »
    Will it be Bojan or Henry to start in Zlatan's place?

Sol played 90 minutes yesterday but I reckon he will start. Denilson impressed when he came on against Barca. I'd leave Walcott on the bench to come on and rape Maxwell like he did last week, maybe something like this:

Almunia
    Sagna Campbell Vermaelen Clichy
    Song
    Denilson Diaby
    Rosicky/Eboue Nasri
    Bendtner
    I'd say Bojan. he was very good last night.

Also Abidal is back so if he plays LB his pace will match up better to Walcott.

Barca team

Valdes

Alves
    Marquez
    Milito
    Abidal

Busquets

Keita
    Xavi

Messi
    Pedro

Henry

I am guessing Pep will favour Henry over Bojan - going for the experience in a Champions league quarter final. Pep prefers Busquets in the first place but Toure came off with a bruised knee last night so that wont help him. Flahavaj, Chyg is ineligible for the Champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

4-0 Barca.

redout wrote: »
    Barca team

Valdes

Alves
    Marquez
    Milito
    Abidal

Busquets

Keita
    Xavi

Messi
    Pedro

Henry

I am guessing Pep will favour Henry over Bojan - going for the experience in a Champions league quarter final. Pep prefers Busquets in the first place but Toure came off with a bruised knee last night so that wont help him. Flahavaj, Chyg is ineligible for the Champions league.

I really hope Henry stops with the moaning about playing against Arsenal.

We know you love Arsenal.

Now stop on about it, its beyond tedious and do your job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think out of the absentees on both sides, Arsenal are hit far worse than Barca.

Barca have tonnes of options at CB with Marquez, Abidal, Toure, Milito and Chry-whatsisname all available.

And judging by last nights display Bojan will fill in capably for Ibra.

Barca to win quite easily.

I'll go 3-0 because I'm feeling saucy.

Thing is Chygrynskiy is cup tied, so our options in defence are;

--Alves----Milito---Marquez---Abidal--
    --Alves----Milito---Abidal---Maxwell--
    --Alves----Toure---Milito---Abidal--

Personally I'd go for the third option, because Marquez has been a fcuking disaster the past 2 seasons, and Abidal is Barca's fastest player, so he can deal with Walcott.

I want to see;
    VV

-Alves----Milito---Toure---Abidal--

Busquets

Xavi
    Keita

---Messi
    Bojan
    Pedro

Although I can see Pep going;

VV

-Alves---Milito---Marquez--Abidal-

---Xavi
    Busquets---Maxwell---

---Messi
    Bojan
    Pedro----

I think Arsenal fans should be much much MUCH more confident about the return leg now that Zlatan is absent. Barca could quite easily be knocked out, there is no height anywhere in that team bar Abidal.

In fairness height is one of the things you don't really needs against Arsenal.

I wouldn't be too worried tbh, Barca will do them quite handily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ibrahimovic caused us a lot of problems the last day so, it's a big plus that he's out and hopefully whoever comes in won't have as much success. Messi wasn't his usual devastating self last week so, let's hope that continues.

I think we have a great chance of going through but, we really can't afford to play like we did in the first half or any more fúck ups from Almunia.

Roll on Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

3, 4, 5 nil to Barca.

Arsenal don't have much of a chance IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

2-0 Barcelona. I predict a more low key performance, a goal in each half.

This banner will be on show at Camp Nou on tuesday :D

25753_398279457248_683337248_3836629_7381978_n.jpg

Pep sign language, Tito is lost

352qfwl.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

flahavaj wrote: »
    Barca have tonnes of options at CB... Abidal

lol that people think this is a genuine option. Abidal has been an absolute disaster any time he's been played at CB. Madness not to play him at LB anyway seeing how easily Maxwell was targeted the last game.

Suspect Ibra and Iniesta will miraculously be fit in time myself.

oh and lol at the gif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

sure arsenal may as not turn up for this match..

its brilliant everyone is completely and utterly writing them off.

remember the last time bendtner got a last second goal in the Premiership before facing the current European Champions in their own pitch where no English side had beaten them before.........(the difference is Barca have lost to English teams in the Nou Camp!)
    :pac:

ah no in all seriousness its fair enough to say barca should win handily but the heart holds out for an Eboué and Bendtner double each so solidify a 4-1 hammering :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I cant believe how much Arsenal have been written off in this game, by everyone!! All the boardsies, every column you read in the newspapers, all the bookies have them at 7-1 and 8-1, i mean wtf?! Its not Barcelona vs Scunthorpe United.

Yes we are missing key players for the return leg but Barca are missing BOTH central defenders and ibra. People predicting 3,4,5-0 to Barcelona wtf, its like your saying Arsenal just stay at home, no point in turning up!! Im predicting another 2-2 draw myself, Arsenal will be very attack minded from the k.o. and we'll need a bit of luck to keep Barca out but **** it, you have to try!

Im actually gonna put a few pound on the Gooners to win, go to the local, have a few brewskies and enjoy another fantastic game of football.

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    I cant believe how much Arsenal have been written off in this game, by everyone!! All the boardsies, every column you read in the newspapers, all the bookies have them at 7-1 and 8-1, i mean wtf?! Its not Barcelona vs Scunthorpe United.

Yes we are missing key players for the return leg but Barca are missing BOTH central defenders and ibra. People predicting 3,4,5-0 to Barcelona wtf, its like your saying Arsenal just stay at home, no point in turning up!! Im predicting another 2-2 draw myself, Arsenal will be very attack minded from the k.o. and we'll need a bit of luck to keep Barca out but **** it, you have to try!

Im actually gonna put a few pound on the Gooners to win, go to the local, have a few brewskies and enjoy another fantastic game of football.

sssshhhh ;) *lulling them into a false sense of security*

No chance of Arsenal winning whatsoever...barca may as well play with two players, messi and xavi. And just messi for the second half. Sure aren't nasri and company just chancers at this stage, Liverpool should be in the quarters etc :pac: ............ odds on arsenal 8-1?? more likely barca 8-1 arsenal....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Kirnsy wrote: »
    sssshhhh ;) *lulling them into a false sense of security*

No chance of Arsenal winning whatsoever...barca may as well play with two players, messi and xavi. And just messi for the second half. Sure aren't nasri and company just chancers at this stage, Liverpool should be in the quarters etc :pac: ............ odds on arsenal 8-1?? more likely barca 8-1 arsenal....

Ronnie Whelan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

eZe^ wrote: »
    Although I can see Pep going;

VV

-Alves---Milito---Marquez--Abidal-

---Xavi
    Busquets---Maxwell---

---Messi
    Bojan
    Pedro----
    I'll be bleedin' chuffed if he does... Marquez has been poor when I've seen him this year and I'm not sure that Maxwell in midfield would really scare me that much either. He did alright there yesterday but I don't remember any terrifying moments of brilliance and I'd be happier with him than Toure, say.

If Toure's knock isn't too bad, I think Guardiola would be mad not to go with him at CB.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I agree with playa3. Nasri must start in central midfield. If we have a midfield trio of Song, Denilson and Diaby then we may as well stay at home.

Front 3 of Rosicky, Bendtner and Walcott. Campbell and Vermaelen at CB.

Though I fear Wenger may put Song at CB again. If that happens and either he or Diaby play like they did at Emirates, then the game is up.

I know Barca will be missing players too, but Arsenal without their 4 best players need something very, very special to progress here. My hopes would most lie in Nasri and maybe something from a set piece.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

For the first time in my life i think Denilson MUST play if we are to have any chance, as i said before his simplistic/negative passing will give us time and space in the middle of the field instead of what we were doing before he came on which was rushing the ball through midfield then losing it. He changed the game for us when he came on and bought us some time in midfield. As daft as this sounds, he's the key to success tomorrow night. If he doesn't play we'll lose. If he does we have a chance of a draw at least in my opinion.

He's an average player but he's exactly what we need tomorrow, like myself, he's a bit simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

This is an artical from the Guardian, before the first leg.
    How to beat Barcelona – three managers reveal their methods

Barcelona may be Champions League holders, but they are not unbeatable. Here Arsenal are told how to win against them

Kurban Berdyev
    Rubin Kazan

Beat Barcelona 2-1 on 20 October 2009

"I studied all Barcelona's games in the Spanish championship. The game against Valencia [a 0-0 draw] was the most helpful to understand them. I noticed that Xavi and Andrés Iniesta – key players in the team – almost never drop back to their own penalty box. This style of play in the midfield creates free space for shots from the middle range. Our midfielders were told to shoot on sight. It's also good to have a player in this area who constantly tries to hold the build-up of Barcelona's attack in the centre of the midfield. It was Alejandro Domínguez who was playing this role, always dropping from the forward's position to confront Yaya Touré. And Domínguez did a great job. I don't think we could have beaten Barça without him. Barcelona like to use the whole pitch. Their full-backs, Dani Alves and Eric Abidal, tend to play wide and leave some space in the centre. We were ready to organise our counter-attack through that area, so we waited for the right opportunity. That's how the second goal came in

This is something Bendtner failed to do in the 1st leg, he looked disinterested when barce had the ball. Does Bendtner have the ability/desire to press like this for the whole game? I'm not sure, but I think he has to play as Eduardo wouldn't be much better and probably does not offer as much in attack.
    Quique Sánchez Flores
    Atlético Madrid

Beat Barcelona 2-1 on 14 February 2010

"We had to try to keep our shape short and narrow to make it hard for Barcelona to find players between the lines, which is what they do so well and what most causes you trouble. We had to ensure there were not gaps there for them to exploit, in among us. We did that very well, we were focused and very intense, very effective. It's genuinely hard to minimise Barcelona's qualities because they are such a great team. But we did so and we even had moments where we were able to play some quite nice football although in the second half we lost control of the ball a bit, and in truth that wasn't the key to our approach. When we got the ball we were reasonably direct. Stopping Barcelona is really hard – they have good players and they are neat with the ball, so we were very pleased with what we were doing. José Reyes played very well, running at them constantly. The key though was to get it right collectively and deny them any room."

That was Arsenal's major problem in the first half, they allowed too much space between the defense and the midfield, this meant Xavi and Busquets had too much space to pick out passes. and they easily controlled the game.

Wenger obviously seen this and changed it at half time, he pushed the defense up and it worked well (to an extent) Barca found it hard to pass the ball with less space and as a result Arsenal seen more of the ball much higher up the field.

Although both goals (balls over the top) came as a result of the change, both were more down to indivdual mistakes (Alumnia and Vermalen).
    Manolo Jiménez
    Sevilla (until 24 March)

Beat Barcelona 2-1 on 5 January 2010

"The key idea we had was to pile the pressure on their defenders and not allow them to bring the ball out of the back. We wanted to make sure that they didn't get the ball to their playmakers – we tried to stop him receiving and playing. We played with great intensity and really went for them. We were close together in the middle but quick to get the ball wide when we attacked. You can never relax against Barcelona because they are the best side in the world. We showed courage, competitiveness and quality. You have to work very hard and not give up a single ball for lost. We conceded one goal because of a lapse of concentration but we were able to overcome that fortunately."

When Valdes has the ball both CBs usually spread out to the flanks and both full backs push forward, the DM will drop in as a 3rd CB this gives Valdes 3 easy passing options.

Pique made an astonishing 70 passes in the 1st leg and was vital in Barca building from the back. However Pique is suspended which is a huge plus for Arsenal imo, Arsenal need to press high up the field and force Valdes to give to ball to the weaker passing CB.

Denilson has to start imo, he finished the 1st leg with the more passes (33) than any other Arsenal player despite only playing 45mins, and whenever I see him play he rarely ever gives the ball away. I would go for Song, Denilson, and Nasri in midfield, with Eboue and Rosicky on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The stats don't give Arsenal much hope and neither do I.

In Barca's 14 games at home in La Liga they have won 13 and drawn 1 scoring 39 goals and letting in 8. They have the best clean sheet record in La Liga (55%). Messi's scored 11 goals in those 14 games.

Arsenal's away league record reads won 8, drawn 4, lost 4. Their leading scorers away from home have been Fabregas, Arshavin, Eduardo, Van Persie and Gallas. Not sure if any of them are playing?

Much has been made about Barca's central defensive pair but the best defence is a good offence and I'd say you could put McShane in there and he'd do grand.

Best chance Arsenal have is to score early and ensure they don't go in at H/T losing but I'd be very surprised if they manage that.

I think Barca by 3 goals.

In a game like this, Stats are about as useful as Stephen Hawking over hurdles.

Arsenal are of different class to everyone Barcelona face in Spain, bar Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

x PyRo wrote: »
    In a game like this, Stats are about as useful as Stephen Hawking over hurdles.

Arsenal are of different class to everyone Barcelona face in Spain, bar Real Madrid.

Stats shouldn't be treated as fortune telling but they are a useful guide to the nature of a team. Plus I think an Arsenal team without Fabregas, Arshavin, Gallas and Van Persie would get beaten by most top Spanish sides outside of Barca and Real Madrid. If this Arsenal team was playing Real Mallorca away I'd say they would struggle to come away with anything.

This Arsenal team laboured to a victory over Wolves and were beaten by Sunderland away earlier in the season. Now they are missing key players and going up against arguably the best side in the world. They need a miracle.

• Advertisement

In fairness Mallorca away would trouble any side, they're phenomenal at home.

The Wolves game looked like Arsenal struggled but in fairness we should of won by 3 at least if it wasn't for the keeper. Sunderland are also a brilliant team at home and anyone would struggle there. The team we'll have out should have a chance of putting it up to Barca at least, saying we need a miracle is way off the mark in my opinion.

Saying we'd lose by most of the top teams outside the top two in Spain isn't fair in fairness to the rest of the squad, i respect your opinion but that's way off the mark even without the main guys the following team would be more than capable of beating anyone from Valencia to Atletico.

This would be the team i'd like to start vs Barca also.

Almunia

Sagna--Song--Vermaelen--Clichy

Denilson--Diaby--Nasri

Rosicky
    Eboue

Bendtner

If that team was beaten by any of the teams from 3rd to 10th i'd be extremely surprised. Even without 4 of our main players that's a pretty solid team especially if Bendtner learned how to put away the many sitters he gets every game.

Oh and Eboue playing on the left wing rather than the right would be to try and stop Alves' runs down our left side. He's the only Arsenal player with the Speed, Stamina and Defensive Ability to do a job on him in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Barcelona tore us apart last time around and still didn't get a win so all this talk for 3,4,5 is rediculous i think. Its possible if they play the same way again but I doubt it. If their performace drops, I genuinely think Arsenal have a chance, such as in the last 30 minutes of the last game.

That said even if Barcelona do under-perform, I'm not sure Arsenal will play the way required with all the injuries. I think we have a better chance than people think though. Strange things sometimes happen on big European nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Really want to see Campbell in defence and Song in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't think it's going to be anywhere near as one sided as a lot of people are making out in this thread. If I have to put my chips on the table I'll go with Barcelona to progress, but not by a margin of more than one goal.
    Arsenal looked afraid of Barcelona for much of the first game. Only when they kopped onto themselves and went for it did they make a comeback. I anticipate them to approach the return leg with the same attitude that earned them the draw/comeback.
    With Barcelona missing Puyol and Pique and Arsenal missing Gallas at the back there are goals to be had for both teams. I'd expect Bendtner's sheer physical presence to give whoever is drafted in at CB for Barcelona a torrid time. The injury to Ibrahimovic is bad news for Barce as he was their main threat in the first leg. That said, Messi can potentially up his game and cause a major headache for Arsenal's defence.
    I'd say the game will be won/lost in midfield. If Arsenal let Barcelona get their passing mojo on like they did in the first leg then it's game over. The likes of Diaby and Denilson will have to battle for every loose ball and close down the Barcelona players quickly in order to stand a chance.

I anticipate a fast flowing great game of football with Barcelona to eventually come out 2-1 winners
    As an Arsenal fan I'm hoping I'm wrong, but if Arsenal can't have it I will wish Barcelona all the best luck in the rest of the competition. The thought of them lifting the European Cup in Real Mdrid's stadium has a certain ring to it...

Arsenal fans really shouldn't make it out that Arsenal are missing more valuable players tbh.

Barca are missing both 1st choice CBs in Puyol/ Pique, our best DMF and CB option in Toure, I don't even have to discuss why Iniesta will be missed, and our main forward (who has scored in almost every big game we've played this year) in Ibrahimovic.

The entire spine of the Barca first XI is decimated, just like Arsenal's (if anything Arsenal are only missing 1 first choice CB, MF, FW). No excuses though, when the chips were down Barca only have themselves to blame if they don't go through considering they only got a 2-2 draw last week.

I've no doubt we'll dominate possession, it doesn't matter what team we play, at the Camp Nou we always dominate possession, it's just whether the midgets can do anything with that possession against Sol/ Vermalaen. Arsenal will also have about 3 great chances to score, if they don't take at least one then it's curtains. Messi needs to step up now, very disappointing in the first leg, looked like he was conserving energy in the 2nd half, now him/ Alves/ Xavi are the experienced heads that the team will look to for a creative outlet, lets hope they can produce on the night. Set up to be a stellar evenly matched game tbh.

Prediction;

1-1 (Messi and Sol)

Didn't realise Iniesta was out. That's a Godsend for Arsenal.
    Ah to have both teams at full strenght.... *dreams*

edit:
    Arsenal missing Fabregas (captain), Gallas (CB), Arshavin (playmaker), van Persie (main striker)
    Barcelona missing Puyol (captain), Pique (CB), Iniesta (playmaker), Ibrahimovic (main striker)

I know I'm oversimplifying it, but that seems like a 'fair' balance of missing players. No excuses for anyone now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

gosplan wrote: »
    Really want to see Campbell in defence and Song in midfield.
    Campbell has a good reading of the game but has been known to lose the plot. Is he worth risking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Just seen from john cross on twitter that alex song isn't traveling. Merida and Eastmond in the 18 squad

Almunia, Fabianski, Bendtner, Eduardo, Diaby, Nasri, Denilson, Merida, Walcott, Eastmond, Rosicky, Traore, Eboue , Clichy, Sagna, Verm, Campbell , Silvestre

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Just seen from john cross on twitter that alex song isn't traveling. Merida and Eastmond in the 18 squad

Almunia, Fabianski, Bendtner, Eduardo, Diaby, Nasri, Denilson, Merida, Walcott, Eastmond, Rosicky, Traore, Eboue , Clichy, Sagna, Verm, Campbell , Silvestre

Whoa! That's an unsuspected bombshell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Strong fears that campbell won't play and tbh i think we should do a defence of

eboue sagna verm clichy.

because i would prefer silvestre in the barca match ahead of sol. But i would quicker opt for that make shift defence up there.

I like eastmond and i think this could be a great chance for him.

Not really, hurt his groin on Saturday and was always a doubt... media just didn't pick up on it for some reason.

• Advertisement

No Song guess that means.

Sagna--Campbell--Vermaelen--Clichy

Denilson---Diaby---

Walcott
    Nasri----Eboué

Bendtner

Galvasean wrote: »

Denilson---Diaby---

Walcott
    Nasri----Eboué

Bendtner

I'd be half tempted to put Rosicky on from the start, his experience could be useful in terms of weathering the storm. Then bring on Walcott on the hour when the legs begin to tire.

I'd be half tempted to put Rosicky on from the start, his experience could be useful in terms of weathering the storm. Then bring on Walcott on the hour when the legs begin to tire.

Agree, plus he is better defensively too. Eboue and Rosicky shuold start on the wings.

Arsenal fans really shouldn't make it out that Arsenal are missing more valuable players tbh.

Barca are missing both 1st choice CBs in Puyol/ Pique, our best DMF and CB option in Toure, I don't even have to discuss why Iniesta will be missed, and our main forward (who has scored in almost every big game we've played this year) in Ibrahimovic.

The entire spine of the Barca first XI is decimated, just like Arsenal's (if anything Arsenal are only missing 1 first choice CB, MF, FW). No excuses though, when the chips were down Barca only have themselves to blame if they don't go through considering they only got a 2-2 draw last week.

I've no doubt we'll dominate possession, it doesn't matter what team we play, at the Camp Nou we always dominate possession, it's just whether the midgets can do anything with that possession against Sol/ Vermalaen. Arsenal will also have about 3 great chances to score, if they don't take at least one then it's curtains. Messi needs to step up now, very disappointing in the first leg, looked like he was conserving energy in the 2nd half, now him/ Alves/ Xavi are the experienced heads that the team will look to for a creative outlet, lets hope they can produce on the night. Set up to be a stellar evenly matched game tbh.

Prediction;

1-1 (Messi and Sol)

Our squad depth compared to yours is a lot different IMO plus the amount of injuries we have. We've only ourselves to blame really.

A Arshavin
    C Fabregas
    A Ramsey
    W Gallas
    K Gibbs
    R Van Persie
    J Djourou
    A Song

Current injury list.
    Two of yours is through suspension (basically their own fault) as opposed all of ours is injury. (though fab would have been suspended anyway in fairness). Basically arsenal have been sickeningly unlucky this year with injuries. We are going to go to the nou camp with traore, merida and eastmond on the bench...absolutely crazy stuff.

To put it in perspective...imagine Utd going without Vidic, Fletcher, Rooney, Nani and Carrick or Chelsea without Essien,Terry,Drogba and Lampard and Mikel.

Its on a plate for Barca with their much stronger squad depth and home advantage. Plus their undoubted brilliance.

Seems Campbell may be a doubt too. It never rains.....

Its a real pity that both barca and arsenal are missing so many players. I'd love love to see iniesta ibrahimovic v van persie and a fully fit fabregas and gallas plus an interested Arshavin.

I agree with most of the rest of your post Eze other than the prediction that it will be an even game, i think that Barca will dominate and the only way that Arsenal will possibly win is through a mixture of luck and genius in the defense and a clinical side up front which unfortunetely for us we've only shown once this year.

Unfortunetely for you that one time was against Barca last week :)

3-0 Barca im afraid you'll get an early goal , heads will drop on this makeshift team and we'll gallantly get beaten by the better team.

or

2-0 Arsenal. Defying the odds we get an early goal (probably Nasri) and soak up wave after wave of pressure before counter attacking with walcott in the 83d minute crossing for diaby to knock home.

Guess which one id prefer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Might thriw a Euro or two on a CSKA+Arsenal double. Barca are missing some big players, I'm never too sure about their defence and with their main CB pairing out it's looking even ore dodgy at the back for Barca. I don't think Arshavin will be much of a loss for Arsenal, tbh, I'm still not convinced that he's the Messiah that everyone is making him out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can some one tell me how many shots did barca have on target and off target in the 1st leg please

Headshot wrote: »
    can some one tell me how many shots did barca have on target and off target in the 1st leg please

Barca shots: 22
    Goals: 2
    Shots on target: 11
    Shots wide: 6
    Blocked shots: 5

Arsenal shots: 6
    Shots on target: 3
    Shots wide: 3
    Blocked shots: 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Galvasean wrote: »

Denilson---Diaby---

Walcott
    Nasri----Eboué

Bendtner

Can't see past a 2 or 3 nil win for Barca if thats the team tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Barca shots: 22
    Shots on target: 11
    Shots wide: 6
    Blocked shots: 5

thanks mate

pp have a special atm about barca shot on and off target

gone for
    Arsenal v Barcelona Specials Number of Barcelona shots
    06-04-2010 19:45
    No. of Barcelona shots on goal
    26 or more shots @ 9/1

Headshot wrote: »
    thanks mate

pp have a special atm about barca shot on and off target

gone for
    Arsenal v Barcelona Specials Number of Barcelona shots
    06-04-2010 19:45
    No. of Barcelona shots on goal
    26 or more shots @ 9/1

I would be very surprised if Barca got 26 shots tomorrow night.

Thats a bad bet headshot, last week was a one off.

It wont be repeated tomorrow night.

Very confident in telling you that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement