Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca -v- Arsenal, Champions League Q/Final 2nd Leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Pep against the Gunners in 99

gun__1270546787_barcelona1999_04.jpg?ic=67f860T

gun__1270546827_barcelona1999_08.jpg?ic=42f23eT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Campbell a doubt, Rosicky 50-50. Fúcks sake. Silvestre vs Messi, I want to cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

saw this on the Beeb. link.
    BARCA WITH / WITHOUT PUYOL

2008/2009 season
    played
    won
    76%
    win percentage
    67%
    goals conceded
    conceded per game

2009/2010 season
    played
    won
    76%
    win percentage
    67%
    goals conceded
    conceded per game----0.44

Odd the way even though everything else varies significantly across the two seasons the win percentages stays the same. Can't read into it too much, but it suggests that Puyol's leadership on the pitch is important imo. I think those stats are similarish to us without Cesc actually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

From arsenal.com
    This may be only the last eight of the Champions League but, for Arsène Wenger, Barcelona are very much the final hurdle.

Arsenal have spent the last decade visiting Europe's elite. In that time they have rattled up some famous wins on the road. Victories at Inter, Milan and Real Madrid represent arguably the Club's finest nights on the Continent. But Barcelona are the biggest scalp.

In the build-up to tonight's tie at the Nou Camp, Wenger admitted Pep Guardiola's side were the best team he had ever faced. After their first-half display at Emirates Stadium last week, it is an entirely understandable view.

The pass-masters were beaten at their own game on their own surface. Ironically both goals by Zlatan Ibrahimovic came from long-balls in the second half. And Arsenal's late comeback leaves them in touch in the tie so a philosophical Wenger sees tonight's tie as a telling stamp in his footballing passport.

"I think we have won away in Europe against all the big clubs and the only place we haven't done it is here," he said.

"But life is about grabbing your opportunities and this team can make history by grabbing the opportunity. I will be especially proud if they do it and I know they will fight for it.

"I have always supported this team even in weak periods of the season because I feel they have some exceptional mental strengths and, of course, they will be needed.

"At the moment Barcelona are the best team in Europe and we have to show that we can beat them. It's important we go there with the right attitude. We know that we have to turn up with 120 per cent commitment, but also intelligence."

Later in his pre-match media work Wenger was asked if like, Cesc Fabregas, he thought Barca were the best team he had faced.

"Yes," he replied, "because they play at a higher pace collectively. And I don't think we have ever been dominated so much at home. Certainly Cesc hasn't! He is used to having the ball.

"I think there was the psychological influence of us being so used to having the ball suddenly not to have the ball, certainly the impression was deeper on the players than it should have been."

Both sides suffered key casualties in last week's game and then were dealt another blow at the weekend. Arsenal lost Cesc Fabregas (cracked fibula), William Gallas and Andrey Arshavin (both calf) to injury on the night. Barcelona saw their two centre backs - Carlos Puyol and Gerard Pique - suspended. Ibrahimovic suffered a calf injury in the warm up to the game against Athletic Bilbao at the Nou Camp on Saturday evening. That came shortly after Alex Song had left Emirates Stadium hobbling. It transpires that the midfielder inflamed knee ligaments in the 1-0 win over Wolves.

Wenger is still sweating on Sol Campbell's hamstring and Tomas Rosicky's knee. But the manager's general demeanour suggested they would start. A late pull-out could be costly, Arsenal's bench is already short on experience and/or match sharpness. Remember, substitutions have been THE defining factor in those late, late wins recently.

"I've never had so many injuries before such a big game," said Wenger. "But that is why football is interesting. It's never boring.

"Also the quality of Barcelona gives me an extra excitement, because we all expect a good game. The first game was very promising and responded to people's expectations. People are waiting with excitement because they know they'll see another interesting game and I'm sure we will."

"Interesting" really does not do justice to tonight. Inspired, emotional or tortuously tense are better labels. Arsenal fans are over here in numbers drinking in the atmosphere.

Barcelona are clear favourites but the visitors have been pulling off the incredible on a weekly basis recently. This, however, would top the lot.

The pessimist can point to that first half when Xavi, Guardiola's little Napoleon, calculated and re-calculated Barca's attacks with frightening speed. Only Manuel Almunia really repelled his army.

The optimist can concentrate at the final 20 minutes when Barcelona were put on the back foot. They appeared to run out of steam and, had Arsenal not been forced to carry the injured Fabregas, they would have gone for the jugular.

"At 2-0 down I felt we needed a miracle," he said. "But I know this team will never give up and knew that when we managed to get through their passing we always looked dangerous. I knew of course we could concede a third or fourth goal against a team like that but I always had hope.

"Now I think the momentum is with us. Barcelona could be disappointed because they were 2-0 up in a Champions League game and when you are pulled back it is very difficult to swallow. If the game had carried on a little bit longer I think we would have won so the key tonight is to start strong."

And to do that you must make sure you are not beaten before you begin.

Barcelona were utterly awesome last week but they did not put Arsenal away. Ironically they can be tried for the same football crime that Wenger's side commit from time to time - playing a beautiful yet wasteful game.

The romance of Nou Camp makes for great copy and Guardiola's men are a wonderful side (getting this far in preview without mention Lionel Messi tells you something of their overall strength). But if Arsenal are to be beaten let it be on the pitch not in the tunnel beforehand.

The final 20 minutes on Wednesday proved the holders can be pressurised and if the visitors begin this game like they finished the last then they can impose themselves.

"I think we were a bit inhibited in the first part of the game and the second half was much more balanced, when we came out and played at our level." said Wenger. "We have to first take into account the psychological part and then get a bit tighter in our marking.

"It's more down to us to turn up and not consider them too much. If we expect them to play weaker, maybe we will have a bad surprise so let's make sure we play better than we did in that first half.

"Last week, we were a little bit victims of the reputation of Barcelona. They have done it, we have not done it so you always make them bigger in our heads and, yes, they were very big."

Tonight, Arsenal attempt to bring Barcelona down to size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I dunno what bet to make on this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

For some strange reason I think Arsenal will win it tonight. Don't ask me for my logic but I believe the will do the near impossible and win 1-2.

Barca lineup:
    VALDÉS; ALVES, MÁRQUEZ, MILITO, ABIDAL; BUSQUETS, XAVI, KEITA; MESSI, PEDRO, BOJAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Silvestre starts for Arsenal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gimmick wrote: »

It's going to be Messy(i)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm rounding my initial 3-0 prediction to 4-0 purely on this basis.

• Advertisement

We're dead. Full lineup anywhere?

79153752.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

redout wrote: »
    79153752.jpg

Where do you get that yoke??

oh dear.

<crosses fingers, toes, tongue, arms, anything he can>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Another 2-2 would be nice. Unlikely, but nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

good luck is all I can say ...

I'm praying here..

Cmon the Gunners

have 2 wee bets on, but theyre for heart over head

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Campbell on the bench and Silvestre starts.. Strange.
    And insanely worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ah fúck!!!

2uyn8k0.jpg + 1sbddf.jpg = 16glto9.jpg

Bench isn't exactly inspiring..
    Barcelona: Valdes, Dani Alves, Marquez, Milito, Abidal, Busquets, Xavi, Keita, Pedro, Bojan, Messi.
    Subs: Pinto, Iniesta, Henry, Maxwell, Toure Yaya, Fontas, Jeffren.
    Arsenal: Almunia, Sagna, Vermaelen, Silvestre, Clichy, Denilson, Diaby, Walcott, Nasri, Rosicky, Bendtner.
    Subs: Fabianski, Eduardo, Eboue, Traore, Campbell, Merida, Eastmond.
    Referee: Wolfgang Stark (Germany)

Silvestre...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Frisbee wrote: »
    Silvestre...
    Against messi, no amount of prayers will save us :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bad luck on the injury front for the Gunners, but the best of luck to them tonight, I'd love to see them go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

On the basis of the Arsenal fans trepidation on seeing Silvestre starting, I predict Silvestre to have the greatest game of his career.

My pessimism really is insufferable.....

I'm not normally particularly pessimistic but I'll be happy enough if we don't lose by more than 2 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

In Arsene we trust. Silvestre it is:o.....

Dunno what to say.

Nervous as **** tho. Don't think we have much of a chance and neither does paddy power but its 90 minutes and god is good.

CMON GOOOOOOOOONERS

Playing football with a torn groin muscle tonight would have been more pleasurable than watching this game...

We're on TV3 too - Will the pain ever stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm looking forward to watching the game and hope Arsenal destroy them!

Playing football with a torn groin muscle tonight would have been more pleasurable than watching this game...

Just noticed. Aaaahhhhh. Not a good omen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Well at least Lou Macari is commentating on the CSKA v Inter game so I doubt he can make the Camp Nou in time
    Thank God for small mercies......

• Advertisement

On the basis of the Arsenal fans trepidation on seeing Silvestre starting, I predict Silvestre to have the greatest game of his career.

My pessimism really is insufferable.....

I've also considered the universe might play a massive cosmic joke and make him have a blinder so just threw the last €2.27 in my PP account on him to score @ 20/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Please Guardiola, you were my favourite player ever to play the beautiful game, you are fast becoming my favourite manager too. Please please please make Barca win this match. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

eZe^ wrote: »
    Please Guardiola, you were my favourite player ever to play the beautiful game, you are fast becoming my favourite manager too. Please please please make Barca win this match. :D

Computer says NO

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Computer says NO

Fine, 1-1 draw then. ;)

Iniesta on the bench isnt really a shock seeing as he only properly trained yesterday.

Va va voom I fear is Va va gone, au revoir brother, enjoy MLS.

Have to say, I'm a wee bit disappointed Eboué isn't starting.

• Advertisement

Have to say, I'm a wee bit disappointed Eboué isn't starting.

As am I.

Never thought I'd hear myself say that.

Disappointed Eboue isn't starting up front in a Champions League QF at the Nou Camp.

Just shows how far he's come on.

gallery-msg-1101031556-2.jpg

BELIEVE!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

At least Arsenal are fielding a fully fit team tonight. Bad and all Silvestre is he can't be any worse than Song did there last week or a half dead Gallas. Nasri and Rosicky will surely have more impact than a clearly unfit Cesc. Walcott can rape them for 90 minutes rather than 30. Denilson impressed last week and Diaby can't be any worse. Bendtner will be full of confidence after his crucial winner at the weekend.

So believe that they can do it!

Really hope Walcott isn't as wasteful as he was on Sat. He won't get as many opportunities as he did then so hopefully he'll use those he gets to good effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

3-3 Draw ftw!

• Advertisement

Jigga wrote: »
    At least Arsenal are fielding a fully fit team tonight. Bad and all Silvestre is he can't be any worse than Song did there last week or a half dead Gallas. Nasri and Rosicky will surely have more impact than a clearly unfit Cesc. Walcott can rape them for 90 minutes rather than 30. Denilson impressed last week and Diaby can't be any worse. Bendtner will be full of confidence after his crucial winner at the weekend.

So believe that they can do it!

Don't want to put a spanner in your works but Rosicky was only rated 50-50 yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eZe^ wrote: »
    gallery-msg-1101031556-2.jpg

BELIEVE!!!!!!!
    Pretty easy to believe in fairness. Barca are 1/7 to qualify! I'm a believer.

Can I just point out how terrible Emmerdale is.

Nice lil El Clasico build up there on Revista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

greendom wrote: »
    Don't want to put a spanner in your works but Rosicky was only rated 50-50 yesterday.
    Oh ya forgot that plus he is made of glass, Eboue can come on for him if he is struggling and put Nasri back into midfield.

I'm not an Arsenal fan just don't them all to be so pessimistic!

Pighead wrote: »
    Pretty easy to believe in fairness. Barca are 1/7 to qualify! I'm a believer.

SHHHH, you jinx us Pighead and I'll murder you. :p

The vicar rape story was pretty good tbh.

Nasri or Rosicky for the spare CM role? I reckon it'll be Nasri, Rosicky is is better defensively on the wings.

0-0 is 29/1 on betfair and 11/1 on PP :rolleyes:

Fcuking hate bookies.

Can't refuse them huge odds on betfair.

C'mon the bore draw !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I Lol'd

Have you quit your job as time keeper this week?

• Advertisement
Advertisement