Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca -v- Arsenal, Champions League Q/Final 2nd Leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

magma69 wrote: »
    Arsenal are a shambles at the back. The massive pitch is doing them no favours.

Sky said pitch is same size as at the Emirates, Wikipedia says the Emirates is actually bigger.

Arsenal heads are well down. I may be in the minority, but I genuinely don't think this one is quite over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

21 min hat-trick FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Headshot wrote: »
    na

Ill go watch live curling world championships
    ;-)

Eurosport always deliver!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What a player... lovely stuff

Only hope for Arsenal is that Barca do a repeat of the first leg and take the foot off the gas.
    redout wrote: »
    If I was Pep Messi would be off at half-time to be wrapped in wool for El Clasico on saturday.

Sounds good to me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

redout anychance you may supply me with shots on and off target (only) for barca please

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

amacachi wrote: »
    I may be in the minority, but I genuinely don't think this one is quite over.

An early second half goal could make things interesting but:

(1) Can't see Barca not scoring again

(2) Can't see us finishing with eleven men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Arsenal could still sneak 2 goals and go through. Highly unlikely though. Messi is just amazing tonight. I expect Barcelona to go for one more and then take players off so they'll be fresh for the weekend. Referee is doing no favours though. Almsot everytime a Barcelona player dives they go down and the crowd get on his back. Arsenal are being fouled a lot and no frees for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

In case there were doubts it appears we are watching the player of this generation.

Sublime

Sky said pitch is same size as at the Emirates, Wikipedia says the Emirates is actually bigger.

Arsenal heads are well down. I may be in the minority, but I genuinely don't think this one is quite over.

I'd admire your belief, but there is no hope whatsoever that they will score 2 without Barca scoring.
    Reckon 3-1 will be final score actually. Barca will relax a bit, but sadly Arsenal are missing too many good players to take advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

One man team indeed ;)
    If I was Pep Messi would be off at half-time to be wrapped in wool for El Clasico on saturday.

Ludicrous. Pep made a poor sub last week taking off Ibra and that badly backfired. Maybe if the scoreline is still the same at 75, not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What can you say about that ? Feel bad for Arsenal though because after being outclassed in the first 10 minutes or so they were fighting their way back into the game. Diaby has been playing very well and Bendtner has been working hard. If Arsenal can get a goal early in the second half its game on. Difficult to imagine Barca not scoring more though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Messi is a freak show. He should go on tour with the circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The emirates is bigger than the Camp Nou in both length and width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

redout anychance you may supply me with shots on and off target (only) for barca please

Barca

Shots on - 4

Shots wide - 5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Stevecw wrote: »
    I'd admire your belief, but there is no hope whatsoever that they will score 2 without Barca scoring.
    Reckon 3-1 will be final score actually. Barca will relax a bit, but sadly Arsenal are missing too many good players to take advantage.
    They done it once and can do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Think we can nick this still. 3-3 but it's going to involve us breaking messi's legs :P :P. Barca look weak at the back and the ref is infact having a shocker. Barca play acting too but messi is amazing. Really really amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Looking good for Messilona. But Arsenal not doing themselves any favours. Defending has let them down on two occassions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Barca

Shots on - 4

Shots wide - 5

so 17 more to go :pac:

to bad ibra isnt playing the shots off wide would be more
    (yes I joke eze :-D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Did you do that bet in the end?

Edit: ^^^^

I think you will be very lucky if they manage 17 more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

magma69 wrote: »
    "I'm German, I'm in charge"

What exactly did Lawrenson mean by that! :eek:

Couldn't believe it when lawrenson said that i mean what's him being german got to do with anything. Tw*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I reckon the only thing to do now is to help the sun with there headline for tomorrow because I can't see Barca not scoring again.
    i'll go for

Arsne' Arsenal Abolished by Messi' Messmerising Magic :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Once again we've had no luck. Diaby missed the opportunity to play Walcott through one on one, Bendtner was wrongly flagged for offside the time he got one on one with Valdez and Barca are living dangerously at the back, Milito, Busquets and Alves are living dangerously with the amount of cynical fouls they are making. A stronger ref would have given them each a card imo, whereas he's calling Bentner and Rosicky up for the smallest bit of physicality, but then again this is Camp Nou.

Still, Messi, it's just not ****ing fair. Arsenal have done a decent job keeping the others at bay, but **** sake, they just can't get near Messi.

Anyway, this isn't over yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Messi has been brilliant tonight. He has single-handedly knocked Arsenal out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It's another case of what Zaragoza's manager said a couple weeks ago.

“Tonight, I saw Diego Maradona, but at more revs per minute. There are no words left to describe him – he is interplanetary. We could have beaten Barcelona tonight, but we could never have beaten Leo Messi.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

TV3 STFU!!! Mentioning Rooney in the same breath as Messi!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Diaby and Nasri have been able to run through the midfield fairly easy at times. Walcot totally has the beating of Abidal. If Arsenal can just find the passes to link up those two aspects of their attack I could definitely see them getting some goals.

Barcelona have been glorious going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

gimmick wrote: »
    Ludicrous. Pep made a poor sub last week taking off Ibra and that badly backfired. Maybe if the scoreline is still the same at 75, not now.

I reckon the damage is done. Arsenal wont score two goals imo and if they did I reckon Barca could score again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Anyway, this isn't over yet.

Yeah, Messi still has to complete his double hat-trick

Yes Messi a joy to watch at the moment. Really looking to seeing him in World Cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I reckon the damage is done. Arsenal wont score two goals imo and if they did I reckon Messi could score again.
    FYP ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I reckon the only thing to do now is to help the sun with there headline for tomorrow because I can't see Barca not scoring again.
    i'll go for

Arsne' Arsenal Abolished by Messi' Messmerising Magic :cool:

I know it's a shît paper but I can't see them making that many grammatical and spelling errors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

eZe^ won't like your ignoring of Ibrahimovic's contribution:)

No way is this game over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Really looking to seeing him in World Cup

Id say he will be picked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Btw, initially I thought Diaby actually fouled Busquets when getting the ball off him to set up Walcott on the first goal. I haven't seen the replay, but I expected the foul to be called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Quazzie wrote: »
    I know it's a shît paper but I can't see them making that many grammatical and spelling errors.
    It's ok I'm Dyslexic :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

yeah, at this level that should just not happen. Its a mark of the quality of the player. Every generation has one outstanding player - Messi is definitely the one for this generation. superb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Bring on Eboue for Rosicky.

All seems futile when up against a team with Messi in it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anybody who thinks arsenal are still in with a chance is living in cuckoo land. They might have done it at the emirates but this is Camp Nou and this is messi at his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I reckon the damage is done. Arsenal wont score two goals imo and if they did I reckon Barca could score again.

Outside of Messi Barca have actually been a bit disappointing, had lots of the ball but not using it well, Bojan and Pedro are anonymous, Abidal and Alves are fluffing crosses and Busquets is lucky to still be one with the fouls he's gotten away with. If he leaves the pitch the defence can push up even further and get Nasri, Walcott and Rosicky on the ball in the areas where they are doing damage. Don't be fooled by the scoreline tbh, he's the only reason ye are winning this match. Madness to take him off.

• Advertisement

What odds were bookies offering on Messi hat trick tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

eZe^ wrote: »
    Btw, initially I thought Diaby actually fouled Busquets when getting the ball off him to set up Walcott on the first goal. I haven't seen the replay, but I expected the foul to be called.

So did I, but it was a fair challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Two goals arsenal, COME ON!!!!

Sure why not dream

Redzer7 wrote: »
    They done it once and can do it again.

Hope you are right, but with who they have on the team & especially on bench I can't see it! Hope I am proven 100% wrong in an hour or so!!

Eboue for Rosicky at some stage in the next 20 minutes I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eZe^ wrote: »

Looked a foul to me but, Barca have gotten away with plenty of them tonight and we've been called up undeservedly on some tonight too, not to mention calling Bendtner offside!

There's a hatred building up inside of me for Busquets, constantly (over both legs) conning the ref to award free kicks while getting away with his own fouls!

Great stuff from Messi, Peanuthead has to be at fault for the equaliser though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

er, whats the story with the sky stream? can everyone hear their producers talking **** in the background now and then or is it just the stream i have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I can't bear to watch the rest.

jasonorr wrote: »
    There's a hatred building up inside of me for Busquets, constantly (over both legs) conning the ref to award free kicks while getting away with his own fouls!

+1

He's well able to dish it out but can't take it himself.

• Advertisement

Could do with Eboue.
    Barring some Red Bull for the Arsenal players I can't see much happening, Arsenal slow getting forward and somehow still leaving big gaps at the back.

Advertisement