Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any program to monitor internet connection?

• 04-04-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

I have permanet wireless broadband, and while for the last year or two it has been pretty rock solid, the last few weeks it has been dreadful. I am constantly getting disconnected, and at times it gets very slow (trying to watch a short youtube vid is painful).

Now i have run antivirus scan and adware scan, and have not found anything suspicious, and i have checked the modem, wires itself for bad connections etc.
    I am just wondering if anyone knows of any good program, that can be used to monitor the stability of the connection, i.e. record speed over time, and number of disconnects?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Pingplotter http://www.pingplotter.com/ can monitor disconnections but not speed. It basically pings a server every 15 seconds or so and graphs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Download pingplotter, set it to ping www.google.com at 1 second intervals, unlimited time and set samples to 10,let it run for a good hour and look back on it and see if there are any blocks of red on the graph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Thanks guys, just downloaded and running it now. Only been going last 5 mins, but atm, there is red block nearly every 30 secs, and lots of packet loss on the upper graph... gonna leave it run for a good bit.
    Heres a screenshot of what it looks like atm
    http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7898/pingv.jpg

Advertisement