Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to find out my skin type from a skin expert?

• 04-04-2010 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi girls!

I read somewhere that there are free skin health consultations in places like boots, mccabes pharmacy etc, where you can go in and the dermatologist tests your skin free of charge to see what your skin type is. then they see how old your skin is etc.
    can anyone tell me where i can get this done for free?
    has anybody got it done before? where do you go and is it only at certain dates or can you walk into any chemist/boots and ask them to do it?

I dont know whether i have dry,combination, sensitive, oily or normal skin.

thanks a lot for your help.

id like to find out asap so i can buy the right products thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

If you're located in Cork I know they do them in Yves Rocher on Oliver Plunkett St. for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

saraasull wrote: »

If you don't know if you have dry or oily skin, chances are you have combination skin. If you had dry skin you wouldn't wonder if it was oily and vice versa really.

as for sensitive, have you ever reacted to something you've put on your face? If yes, you have sensitive skin. If not... well you might still be sensitive to some things but you don't have to buy products specifically for sensitive skin until you find something that you react to, and then don't buy that again!

If you really want someone to test you out though, I'd say Clinique counters probably do it - since they have different ranges for different skin types. Also Vichy might be a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 saraasull

thank you both for your replies. i live in dublin, so any around dublin would be good. so if i went into dundrum town centre and went into boots, would someone in there test my skin for free? do i go to the vichy counter? what would i say? i want to make sure i dont have to pay as im broke
    many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BumbleBe

I've had a lot of skin problems lately.. went to the Berekly clinic in Walkinstown for a free skin consultation and they were really nice. They recommended some products that were suitable for my skin and informed me everything i was using was wrong ha
    They sent me to a salon in wicklow st that stocked the recommended skincare and they were great too.. Cant remember the name of the place but its the street at the side of Brown Thomas! Just off Grafton st across the road from the side of BT, right beside centra. You can just walk in and have a chat with em!

Hope this helps! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Hi girls!

I read somewhere that there are free skin health consultations in places like boots, mccabes pharmacy etc, where you can go in and the dermatologist tests your skin free of charge to see what your skin type is. then they see how old your skin is etc.
    can anyone tell me where i can get this done for free?
    has anybody got it done before? where do you go and is it only at certain dates or can you walk into any chemist/boots and ask them to do it?

thanks a lot for your help.

id like to find out asap so i can buy the right products thanks
    OP, if you're Irish then the chances are you have combination skin.

The problem with going anywhere other than a dermatologist for a skin diagnosis is that they will be pushing the products they endorse so they may or may not work for you.

Personally I find dermalogica very good and the dermalogica beauty salons are generally of a very high standard because they have to undergo a lot of training to use the products. I've had lots of facials done over the years and I've always noticed the best results from dermalogica salons.

Vichy and La Roche Posay are also excellent brands.

If I were in your position I'd start with dermalogica. Even if you find you don't like the products the skin diagnosis from the salons is excellent. Also, don't buy the products from the salon. Get a list of what they recommend for your skin and buy online; adonisgrooming.com is a great site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

+1 for dermalogica. If you go into a salon that stocks the range they will usually do a free skin mapping analysis for you and recommend suitable products. I have had it done and it was great. I buy the products online from the UK myself simply as its a lot cheaper than buying over here though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 saraasull

thank you all for your helpful replies.
    can i just ask you, WHERE exactly can i go to get this skin analysis done for free? like you say vichy dermologica etc? where abouts can i go though. i walked into a chemist today and asked if i could be tested to see what my skin type is and she looked at me blankly.
    im guessing dundrum is my best bet./... but have any of you girls ever gotten tested to see what type of skin you have in dundrum?
    in boots or what?
    i wanna get this test done asap. thanks

this is what i am talking about seeing...
    http://www.vichyconsult.ie/local/en-gb/sections/meet-vichy.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MissFitz

can i just ask you, WHERE exactly can i go to get this skin analysis done for free? like you say vichy dermologica etc? where abouts can i go though.

I'm not sure where you expect to get "tested" or what you mean by this? Generally, the only time your skin would be examined in any way would be if you paid to go and have a facial done. If you get a facial done, the therapist will have a look and recommend various products or at least tell you what types of products you need to use for your skin type. A normal shop assistant will not be able to magically know what type of skin you have.

Here is something you could try to get a broad idea: wash your face in the morning using whatever normal face wash you use. Dry your face but don't apply any moisturiser or other products. Wait a couple of hours. If your skin at this stage feels very tight and uncomfortable, it's pretty likely you have dry skin. If your skin looks shiny all over, it is likely you have oily skin. If it is oily in your T Zone (forehead, nose, chin), you are likely to have combination skin. If none of these, you probably have normal skin (whatever that is :p). If you have had reactions to products in the past, or if you regularly get blotchy/red/itchy you may have sensitive skin also.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BumbleBe

Urbana on wicklow st, just above centra (across from the side of Brown Thomas).. They do an analysis for free and recommend stuff to use! Only takes about 15mins

Advertisement