Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Butchers in Waterford City?

• 04-04-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

hello all,

Recently moved to Waterford and im getting a bit sick of getting my meat in Tescos :o Just wondering what peoples opinion were on the Best butchers in the City was? is there one that slaughters their own meat? The best Value?

Thanks all!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

try Flynn butchers beside McDONALDS in John Roberts Sq -
    they supply a good few restaurants on the city -

also - the one in Michael st - cant remember the name -
    always have specials like 3 chicken pascal for €6 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

The one in Michael St is Widgers, great meat, two shops in the one street. Theres one in Ballytruckle near the Folly church, called Bobby's, great service nice lad behind the counter,
    olloys in Barrack st is good as well. Dont know how anyone could buy meat in Tesco, you never know how long its been hung and neither do the staff, Never Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

Try Bobby's butchers on Ballytruckle... Good quality meat and he's always helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

sarahn11 wrote: »
    hello all,

Recently moved to Waterford and im getting a bit sick of getting my meat in Tescos :o Just wondering what peoples opinion were on the Best butchers in the City was? is there one that slaughters their own meat? The best Value?

Thanks all!!

Kearney's, near to Ruby's.

They do their own killin!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I would say Superquinn backwall is very good too.

I worked there for a few years, sound bunch work there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

foxylad2 wrote: »
    try Flynn butchers beside McDONALDS in John Roberts Sq -
    they supply a good few restaurants on the city -

+1 From Me - AFAIK its all from their own farm and they do their own killing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like Superquinn's meat especially when it's on offer. I also like the meat in Ardkeen Quality Food Stores.

Recently someone recommended Dawn Meats at Carroll's Cross so I went there a couple of weeks ago. This is worth your while if you've got a car and room in your freezer. I got a lot of meat, everything that we've cooked so far has been excellent and cheaper than the supermarkets and butchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

definately bobbys butchers he very good and if he gets to know ya he,ll look after ya

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

dayshah wrote: »

+1, defiantely reccomend this place, we have friends up as far as meath who get their meat from here when possible, best steaks around aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Brilliant Guys, Thanks a mil for the Advice! Will be testing em out tomorrow when i do the weekly food shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

deisemum wrote: »
    IRecently someone recommended Dawn Meats at Carroll's Cross so I went there a couple of weeks ago. This is worth your while if you've got a car and room in your freezer. I got a lot of meat, everything that we've cooked so far has been excellent and cheaper than the supermarkets and butchers.

here's the link
    http://www.dawnmeats.com/index.php/factory-shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

dayshah wrote: »

Is that the place that has the Bridgestone plaque on the wall? If it is I've heard they have very good customer service and if you know what you want you can phone your order through and they'll have it ready for you and will bring it out to your car, very handy if you've got children and it saves you having to unload and load them into car seats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

deisemum wrote: »
    Is that the place that has the Bridgestone plaque on the wall? If it is I've heard they have very good customer service and if you know what you want you can phone your order through and they'll have it ready for you and will bring it out to your car, very handy if you've got children and it saves you having to unload and load them into car seats etc.

Here is a photo.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23296461@N04/3194318615/

I never phoned them, but they are very nice in there. They always know when I come home to my mothers because they basically have to wipe out a whole flock of sheep for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well I think O' Flynns and Kearneys are the only 2 places in town that have thier own farms and cattle etc.

and I should know :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

foxylad2 wrote: »
    also - the one in Michael st - cant remember the name -
    always have specials like 3 chicken pascal for €6 etc

That one's Kiely's - red building, always a fair few specials on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Jambo wrote: »
    +1 From Me - AFAIK its all from their own farm and they do their own killing too
    +2 on O' Flynns. Been buying there for 30 years and have never had reason to change

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Molloys on Barracks st, friendly and great meat,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Has anyone noticed how quickly the meat and Veg in Tesco goes off now?

only in the past few weeks this is. there was UK sterling prices on some of them aswell. Its as if they brought it all down after having it on shelves up the north. Never had to check the dates on meat before but had to for the past few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Just thought ide update: Went to Bobby Butchers on Ballytruckle today. Was in a hurry, and this was the only one i was 100% sure of the location! Plan on trying as many as i can in the coming weeks.
    So Bobbys, very Friendly fella behind the counter. Got a Generious pork belly ,Which he scored for me , 2 pork chops, 2 chicken fillets and 400gr Fresh mince beef for 10er! Nice one!

@tc2010 -about 2 weeks ago i bought a pack of sirloin steaks in tescos to have the next night. They werent on special or reduced. Opened the fridge the next day and they were Stinking! Yuck! Noticed it also with their fruit and veg. Although i normally buy my veg in Aldi now thanks to their super 6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I think the butchers in Ardkeen Superstores is the best (the one beside the post office). Very good quality and very appealing.

I would stay away from mass produced meat such as Dawn Meats and other such suppliers - freezing the meat is a waste of time and not worth the savings you might make.

• Advertisement
Advertisement