Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Cracks above Windows

Options
  • 04-04-2010 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I was looking to purchase this house, however cracks have developed on one side of the house above windows and doors. Cracks were not there before Christmas. (House almost 2 years old) Any ideas on how serious / not serious an issue this is? Scaffolding suggests its serious enough to me. I've attached 2 pics of the back of house. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hard to tell from just a pick but it could be severe loadings within the lintel support area from perhaps a concrete first floor. The prestressed lintels need to form a composite structure meaning that the strength is only obtained when adequate depth of blockwork is constructed overhead. The lintel has zero strength on its own.
    It could also be down to the use of doubled up lintels used in a misguided attempt to strengthen the structure. Ive seen cracks occur betwwen lintels when used like this.
    I have also seen dpc build in incorrectly at that location. If that was allowed to remain there, it would create problems due to the composite requirement of the structure. Im guessing that 65mm prestressed lintels were used due to the height of the cracks above window.
    If you are buying this, get a qualified Engineer to thoroughly inspect the construction & get a certain cause of the problem, csot to remedy etc or if current owner is fixing the problem, be sure that a proper fix has been carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

whatsup wrote: »
    I was looking to purchase this house, however cracks have developed on one side of the house above windows and doors. Cracks were not there before Christmas. (House almost 2 years old) Any ideas on how serious / not serious an issue this is? Scaffolding suggests its serious enough to me. I've attached 2 pics of the back of house. Thanks

it might be something as simple as the house not being scudded before plastering and the plaster not bonding to the lintel because of the smooth finish of the lintel. with the weather we have had over the winter moisture could have gotten in behind the plaster and the hard frost could have caused it to expand and fall off.or it could be more serious as in incorrect size lintels used as mickdw said so best to get your engineer to look it over before you make your decision about purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whatsup

Thanks a lot for your input guys. I will do a bit of homework on the issue and let you know the results. Thanks again.

Advertisement