Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Splash cover for D90

• 04-04-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Going to be shooting the ISA youth nationals down in schull, that's a sailing event for all you uneducated folk :p

Hoping to get some for of cover for my D90 to protect from splashes etc.. Any ideas? I need to be able to get it in dublin or cork, ie internet is no good. not hoping to spend a whole load of money on it. any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

just saw something in adverts, armour for a d90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

any chance of a link? not seeing it on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Rubber band and a heavy clear plastic bag.

sorry, I found it, its more for shock than splashes?

thats actually probably the best bet at short notice, was hoping for something specific though, will definitely be a backup option.

• Advertisement

These are a reasonable cheap option, I just have no idea who stocks them in Dublin or Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That's great advice! Especially if you're only going to need it the once. Fit it tightly before you get there, so you can work around the viewfinder, and make sure you can see the previews of your images through the plastic.

if you don't find a proper cover that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

just saw something in adverts, armour for a d90

I in fact own 2 of these, they have nothing to do with water and are in fact useless...

yet you have 2 of them?

I don't get this whole cover fuss anyway. Unless the camera gets dropped into the water, which would mean it is most likely f***ed anyway, what are the chances of an LCD screen getting damaged by taking a few shots very near sea water?

Just wipe the damn thing with your sleeve! :D

yet you have 2 of them?

:D

I am lost what you are asking, I own 2 of them for the D90 and have 2 of them for my other camera also thats 4 of them in total, they are useless..

• Advertisement

Um, not to sound smart or anything but ... you say they're useless, yet you own 4 of them. Why? if they're useless, why have them? Unless you got them for free?

Don't understand the confusion.

I bought them all together, they come in Camo and black ! hence the 4..
    and to add to it I also own the power drive version of the same thing..

they are crap..

Ok, sound.

I wouldn't personally buy one, tbh, I'd just wipe the screen with my sleeve as I go, but I'm a dirty bastard ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

These are a reasonable cheap option, I just have no idea who stocks them in Dublin or Cork.
    Could have used these on Saturday when I was out in the rain at the rally.
    Might get some for again though.

Ok, sound.

I wouldn't personally buy one, tbh, I'd just wipe the screen with my sleeve as I go, but I'm a dirty bastard ...

I'm not concerned about the screen...

Depending on the weather, there could be a fair amount of splashing going on, this could potentially lead to the camera getting, throughout the course of 3 days, getting a fair amount of water on it, now if there was the occasional small splash it should be fine, but we're not talking about that, if the weather is bad, waves can break over the front of the boat (the boats are small enough) and some of that water could very easily hit the camera. Although the water may not do much damage if it doesn't get in any openings (card door etc), the salt will wreak havoc with buttons etc, making them grind and potentially become almost unusable. It wouldn't take much water for this to happen, once it dries, the salt will be left, and it only takes a few grains in the wrong place to mess it all up, hence the desire for a cover :)

Cosmo K wrote: »

looks very good, right price etc etc.. but...
    alexlyons wrote: »
    I need to be able to get it in dublin or cork, ie internet is no good.

this is the best idea for now !

I'm inclined to agree, the plastic bag seems to be what I'll do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

yet you have 2 of them?

I don't get this whole cover fuss anyway. Unless the camera gets dropped into the water, which would mean it is most likely f***ed anyway, what are the chances of an LCD screen getting damaged by taking a few shots very near sea water?

Just wipe the damn thing with your sleeve! :D

Even if the camera doesn't get dropped in the water, the least bit of water ingress can fry the internal electronics. Been there done that and bought the replacement camera at a cost of 750E. OP should at least have cling film covering contact points of the lens.

If you're using a fixed focal lens it is possible that an Aquapac SLR case will be adequate. I think a decent sailing shop might have them - Union Chandelry possibly. Not sure for Cork tbh.

• Advertisement

alexlyons wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree, the plastic bag seems to be what I'll do!

I find helps to put a wider rubber band under the plastic where you are going to put the other rubber band, I like to do this on the lens hood. It helps with slippage of the plastic.

Advertisement