Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht rugby chat thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

R28 wrote: »
    Gutted I couldn't make it tonight. But great result! Well done Connacht!:D

One of the best games i have ever seen the fellas produce.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Great game, great atmosphere and obviously GREAT result. I think the crowd tonight may have been even bigger than the one at the Bourgion game. The team was just great in every way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How much was it in tonight as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

How many were at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

attendence was put at just under 3,500. There was more at the Bourgoin game.

Now, just remember to get your tickets now for the Toulon game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

John Muldoon is so much better than O'Callaghan it's not even funny. Fionn Carr was immense and Gavin Duffy was great.

THINGS ARE LOOKING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

fatguy2k1 wrote: »

Now, just remember to get your tickets now for the Toulon game!

Got my tickets the other day, can't wait. Connacht were great against Munster it was so close, unbelievable result against Leinster (discounting the penalty try shows just how badly their were beaten) and now playing Scarlets at the weekend the lads can't help believing they can win, would be epic if they finish above Ulster. Can't wait for Toulon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

When is the Toulon game?

Bank holiday weekend/Friday 30th iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

John Muldoon is so much better than O'Callaghan it's not even funny. Fionn Carr was immense and Gavin Duffy was great.

THINGS ARE LOOKING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donncha O'Callaghan? :confused: He's a second row, Muldoon's a backrow, completely different positions.
    Apart from that, yeah, he was brilliant last night, super win and great atmosphere. The Sportsground was rocking!

• Advertisement

We REALLY need to get a HUGE crowd in the Sportsground for the Toulon game, papers were saying they've 1500 coming over and it would do no harm at all to have the city decked out in Connacht flags.

These guys are the Chelsea of French rugby with the likes of Jonny Wilkenson (that alone should proberly bring a couple of hundred females:)), Feilpe Contempomi (former Leinster player), Tana UMAGA (infamous Kiwi who bounced BOD on his noggin down under on the Lions tour:mad:) and this speed merchant Pierre MIGNONI among others:eek:

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    it would do no harm at all to have the city decked out in Connacht flags.

CR would want to start selling decent size Connacht Flags too ( Irish Flag Size ) I for one would buy and fly from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

What exactly do Connacht have to do to qualify for for the HEC? If we beat Scarlets what is needed against Ulster? Have Ulster any chance of beating Edinburgh?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

darrenh wrote: »
    What exactly do Connacht have to do to qualify for for the HEC? If we beat Scarlets what is needed against Ulster? Have Ulster any chance of beating Edinburgh?

If we beat Scarlets, then all we need out of the Ulster game is a bonus point. Edinburgh are still in the running for the top 4 play, Scarlets are now on the bottom so nothing much to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

Steyr wrote: »
    CR would want to start selling decent size Connacht Flags too ( Irish Flag Size ) I for one would buy and fly from my house.

there are 5' x 3' foot flags availalbe from the Branch Office for €10 and car flags for €5.

Hennybug wrote: »
    If we beat Scarlets, then all we need out of the Ulster game is a bonus point. Edinburgh are still in the running for the top 4 play, Scarlets are now on the bottom so nothing much to play for.

That's assuming Ulster get nothing from their game in Edinburgh. Connacht have rested a lot of players for the Scarlets game, so its very possible we'll get nothing from that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Zzippy wrote: »
    That's assuming Ulster get nothing from their game in Edinburgh. Connacht have rested a lot of players for the Scarlets game, so its very possible we'll get nothing from that game.

I'm being optimistic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Folks just a wee observation...We've got a leinster and a munster team/talk/gossip thread on the rugby union forum, as yet no Connacht one...is there no red blooded connacht man/woman who will take up the challenge and launch the thread!!!!;)

Why are they resting players against Scarlets. Surely the time of targeting games should be over, as in, every game is a target. Surely the last two magners games are bigger than the game against Toulon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

the toulon game is a european semi final. ie a chance at winning some silverware. i know which game i'd be targeting and it ain't the one in parc y scarlets

• Advertisement

I know its a European semi final but surely qualifying for the HEC is priority? Beating Scarlets and getting a losing bonus point from Ulster would have bigger and better long term effects on Connacht rugby. Of course if they win the Amlin the reward is the same but I think the chance of doing it by beating Scarlets and getting a losing BP against Ulster is easier. Three games left (maybe four), Three/four finals in themselves. If Connacht cannot field their best teams for that there is something wrong.

Scarletts are bottom of the table and Connacht bet Leinster while still resting some players afaik. I think it would be ludicrous to put out a full strength team before playing Toulon, they need to give their best players as much rest as possible. Finishing 7th in the Magners league is not something you target when the alternative is a European final, whether you get a place in the Heineken cup or not is immaterial imo. The fact that you're predicting a losing bonus point against Ulster says a lot as well, not trying to be rude but that's the sort of losing attitude that's plagued Connacht for too long.

darrenh wrote: »
    I know its a European semi final but surely qualifying for the HEC is priority? Beating Scarlets and getting a losing bonus point from Ulster would have bigger and better long term effects on Connacht rugby. Of course if they win the Amlin the reward is the same but I think the chance of doing it by beating Scarlets and getting a losing BP against Ulster is easier. Three games left (maybe four), Three/four finals in themselves. If Connacht cannot field their best teams for that there is something wrong.

Connacht have a full time squad of 28 players, they simply cannot field a full strength team for 4 games in 13 days, injuries happen and you have to manage your resources. Its a simple choice of targeting the ML or the Amlin Cup, and Bradley obviously feels there's a better chance of winning the Amlin Cup or beating Ulster than playing a full strength team for the third time in 7 days
    Scarletts are bottom of the table and Connacht bet Leinster while still resting some players afaik. I think it would be ludicrous to put out a full strength team before playing Toulon, they need to give their best players as much rest as possible. Finishing 7th in the Magners league is not something you target when the alternative is a European final, whether you get a place in the Heineken cup or not is immaterial imo. The fact that you're predicting a losing bonus point against Ulster says a lot as well, not trying to be rude but that's the sort of losing attitude that's plagued Connacht for too long.

In fairness the last time Connacht won in Ravenhill was 1960 so a losing BP is probably realistic, but this is probably our best chance since then to go there and win. If we hadn't had such a good run lately, most Connacht supporters would have been happy with a bonus point away.

So we have a better chance of beating Toulon and then Blues/Wasps than beating scarlets away and Ulster away? Thats crazy. Even at full strength the Amlin is perhaps a step too far. The Magners is'nt.

Regardless, I dont care how they do it. The knock on affect would be huge if they got into the HEC. Thats the target.

Don't honestly know which side to favour in this but Toulon won today against Brive and have no worries now in the Top 14.......so they will proberly field their full strenght side next Friday which is going to be no easy task for us:(

HOWEVER, G'WAN CONNACHT

BELIEVE

I think they should be looking to beat bottom and 3rd bottom in the Magners then hoping to win 2/2 in the Euro Cup, No point saying ''what if.... get's injured'', it's too late in the day for that, and that's all circumstantial at any rate.

I'm not sure if people are aware but Toulon are TOP of the French league ahead of the likes of Toulouse, Biarritz who compete at the Business end of the Heineken cup year on year. IMO we should be trying to beat what's in front of us instead of hoping to win a one off game in that semi final... we have been here a few times before and fell every time we met the ''top'' english side

Connacht V Scarlets today at 2:05pm, on Setanta if anybody is wondering.

Game over with Ulster winning......... disgraceful getting beaten that heavily by the team bottom of the table, now they must beat two decent sides in a row.... looks unlikely now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Given the effort put in by Connacht last Wednesday following on from the game against Munster last Sunday no-one can seriously suggest that if we put our frontline players out there today we'd have won.

It is in some way concentrating on Toulon but moreso its that the players would have no more left in the tank for today, thats just the way the fixtures fell unfortunately and Ulster winning at Edinburgh was a result very few predicted.

I know you support Galway United Gilberto. They were very good against Bohs, dreadful Monday night and played fairly well again Friday, 3 games in a week is just too much to handle when your squad is as small as Connacht or Galway United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Game over with Ulster winning......... disgraceful getting beaten that heavily by the team bottom of the table, now they must beat two decent sides in a row.... looks unlikely now!

you seem to not have much of a clue man. regardless if scarlets are bottom or not, they are in fact a better team with better resources than us. the fact we had to play a C team against their full squad says it all really. you cannot play 3 top level rugby games in 7 days, you're body would simply break down.

Mods, can this thread get merged with the Connacht thread in rugby? No point posting in 2 different threads about pretty much the same thing.

Can't wait for the Toulon game. Note to self get a big flag

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement