Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht rugby chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hmm, 4852 at the game, seems a bit off 5,000 tbh....

I've a season ticket but was out of the country, gave the ticket to a mate who usually goes but he got called out of town so that's one of the 148 no shows. I'm sure there are plenty of similar stories.
    To be fair to the branch, its a bit ridiculous asking for tickets to be on sale at the gate for games that are sold out before the day, no sport in the world does this. Better to have the money in the bank and satisfy demand than to rely on people who can't be bothered to buy tickets in advance and might not even show up. Plus having to abide by fire safety regulations in terms of numbers, stewarding and policing, etc. You should know by now that Munster and Leinster games are always sell-outs and you need to get your ticket in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It was about 4582 I think I typed that wrong last night. Tbh its annoying when you know a season or two it wouldn't have been an issue to get in on the day, plus with no seating the attendance capacity is pretty arbitrary.

It was about 4582 I think I typed that wrong last night. Tbh its annoying when you know a season or two it wouldn't have been an issue to get in on the day, plus with no seating the attendance capacity is pretty arbitrary.

Yep I suppose it could be annoying but its a sign of progress too if games are starting to sell out in advance, even if its just for the big teams. Now you know the story, get your Munster ticket in plenty of time for Dec 26th ;)

can i buy them online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yep I suppose it could be annoying but its a sign of progress too if games are starting to sell out in advance, even if its just for the big teams. Now you know the story, get your Munster ticket in plenty of time for Dec 26th ;)

I won't be anywhere near galway for that game but otherwise I will order tickets in advance when I can. Students income being what it is its a little harder to be able to buy online, I was able to but my friend wasn't until they were already sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

can i buy them online?

Yep.

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Does anybody know why Connacht don't share Terryland Park with Galway United? The SportsGround is fine but Terryland has their new stand and surely it would be cheaper for them to share the cost to maintain only one stadium. Or am I missing something. Does anybody know?

Thanks. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

ambid wrote: »
    Does anybody know why Connacht don't share Terryland Park with Galway United? The SportsGround is fine but Terryland has their new stand and surely it would be cheaper for them to share the cost to maintain only one stadium. Or am I missing something. Does anybody know?

Playing rugby in terryland would destroy the surface. Don't know if it would cope with the amount of games. As well as that their games are often on the same night

AFAIK The Sportsground can hold just slightly more than Terryland park, and as you say above the Sportsground is a fine location i think the pitch there is very good.

Also as mentioned the Games usually clash on the same day at the same times or an hour before or after each other.

The pitch in Terryland Park is too short for rugby, there would be no room for the in-goal area used in rugby (the space between the try line and the end line where players score a try). Even if they shortened the pitch slightly and had a very small in-goal area, the wall that is there now behind the goal would be too dangerous to have bordering a rugby pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Steyr wrote: »
    AFAIK The Sportsground can hold just slightly more than Terryland park, and as you say above the Sportsground is a fine location i think the pitch there is very good.

Also as mentioned the Games usually clash on the same day at the same times or an hour before or after each other.
    Agree that the Sportsground is a good spot. Great location. Wish Galway United were that close to town.

The Sportsgrounds can hold 8k with temporary seating can't it? It's something like 5,500 otherwise? We have a little shy of 3k seats and a capacity that is capped at 5k. We wouldn't be able to install temporary seating for a match, but we would never need it.

I grew up in GAA country 20 or 30 miles from the nearest rugby club, so I haven't much interest in rugby apart from getting on the bandwagon when the 6 nations or the WC swing around, but I have attended 1 or 2 Connacht matches... one against some hilariously out of their depth Italians and another team that annihilated Connacht for 80 mins.

Also Steyr, on the subject of clashes, the overlap between the seasons aren't that big but clashes do occur. It's my understanding that the FAI haven't been that helpful in terms of allowing matches be moved. I have heard of a lack of will on the Connacht side but not in the last couple of years.

The Galway United manager Sean Connor met with Eric Elwood recently to work out if they could do anything of mutual benefit.

Also, United have a huge game on Tuesday in Terryland. Most important game there in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 connachteagle

Just read this on facebook:

Connacht Rugby are delighted to announce the
    Connacht v Samoa Ticket Power Sale’.
    Between the hours of 10am and 4pm tomorrow, Wednesday 3rd of November, ALL tickets for this game will be only €10. This is a special offer, and is available online via Ticketmaster, or in the ticket office in the Sportsground.
    Come and support, YOUR PROVINCE, YOUR TEAM, as they take on the Pacific Islanders and their ‘Siva’ wardance in a warm-up for the Ireland v Samoa clash the following Saturday. This is a rare opportunity to see one of the most exciting international rugby teams play in the intimate setting of the Sportsground.
    Terms and Conditions apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

Anyone know what caused the injuries to Ofisa and T'auso?

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    Anyone know what caused the injuries to Ofisa and T'auso?

See here for the Official Press: http://www.connachtrugby.ie/2010103082333/treviso-16-10-connacht-half-time

"Ray Ofisa was stretchered off after 25 minutes after a bang to the head and Ezra Taylor came on to replace him."

Galway Indo: http://www.galwayindependent.com/sport/sport/double-injury-blow-as-ofisa-and-ta%26rsquo;auso-out-for-months/

Written by John Fallon

Connacht have suffered a huge double blow with Samoan pair Ray Ofisa and Niva Ta’auso ruled out until into the new year after picking up facial and head injuries in the 24-17 loss to Benetton Treviso on Saturday night. It is a big blow for Ofisa who could have put himself in the frame for a World Cup call-up when Samoa visit the Sportsground next Tuesday evening.

And Ta’auso, who was born in Apia in Samoa but was subsequently capped for the junior All-Blacks, has also been ruled out until January at the earliest. The 30-year old centre suffered a fracture to an eye socket on Saturday evening — having earlier scored his second Magners League try — and will not be able to resume contact training for about six to eight weeks.

He returned home with the Connacht squad on Sunday morning but flanker Ofisa, who is also 30, was detained in hospital in Italy having suffered a cheek fracture and a knock to the head.

Both players have been ever-present for Connacht this season in the Magners League — Ta’auso has played both Amlin Challenge Cup games, with Ofisa playing against Bayonne — and are key members of the side.

Coach Eric Elwood said the loss of the two central figures was a big blow. “The most important thing now is to make sure both players get the proper treatment and make a full recovery as quickly as possible. The emphasis will be on working to get the two lads back to fitness,” said Elwood.

Tickets still available for Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I presume tickets are available for Tuesday. There should be a good crowd but I don't think it'll be a sell out. Should be a good night hopefully and a chance for some of the fringe/young Connacht players to make a name for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

yeap, tickets stil available.

Well done Connacht, very proud of the lads tonight, brilliant win over Samoa. Ospreys next!! Fri 19th Nov @ 7pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It was a brilliant match alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Epic win! I only got to see the first half but my god what a fight! the most entertaining game and the best I've ever seen from Connacht!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

The performance was a real credit to Connacht - I hope the team know that there's a lot of us going around today feeling really proud of the effort and heart they put in.

I just read this online,

Connacht Rugby Italian Job Sale

To coincide with the end of Movember, Connacht Rugby are pleased to announce ‘THE ITALIAN JOB SALE’. Between the hours of 1pm and 5pm tomorrow 30th November, all tickets for this Friday’s Connacht v Aironi clash will be on sale for only €10. This offer will be available through Ticketmaster or by calling in to the Connacht Rugby office in the Sportsground. It is a limited offer available during the stated times only so fans are advised to act fast to secure their €10 ticket.
    For the last month, a number of Connacht players have been growing a ‘Mo’ for Movember. Movember is a foundation that challenges men worldwide to grow a moustache for the month of November while raising money for Action Prostate Cancer and the Irish Cancer Society. To date it has raised millions worldwide to support cancer research and Connacht Rugby are glad to be able to support. You can help raise funds by logging on to http://ie.movember.com/mospace/1201742/ and donating money to any of the Connacht players. For more information on the Italian Job Sale, log on to connachtrugby.ie.

Also found on the FB page:

'For our fans in the province, What is your impression of busses being organised to bring fans to Magners League games from the likesof Westport, Athlone, Castlebar etc. and stopping along the way? If you think you and your friends could get a gang goinf from the provincedrop an email to mfallon@cbirfu.com with your details and location.'

Connacht v aironi match called off due to frozen pitch.

BUMP

On Facebook! I will be there!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=127839000610751

Dáil Bar Connacht Rugby Supporters Night

Come meet the players and be in with a chance of winning signed jerseys and match tickets.
    YOUR PROVINCE, YOUR TEAM...........Your Night!

cool!

To our suprise there were some Aironi supporters wandering about the Sportsground at 9:30am this morning :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    To our suprise there were some Aironi supporters wandering about the Sportsground at 9:30am this morning :eek:
    Bring em to O'Connells anyway.

fatguy2k1 wrote: »

Seriously? :eek: :D:D

yeap! i guess they were in Galway anyway (stuck or otherwise)

expect the press release in the next half hour....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

unreal news! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement