Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Camera to buy?

• 04-04-2010 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My mother is looking for a camera,she's a bit of a novice when it comes to digital cameras so i need to help her
    She is a pretty good artist and mainly does landscape
    She wants to take photos including ocean and then draw from the picture
    Budget wouldn't be great,maybe up to €300
    Looking for something with a really good zoom
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If she's not looking to do really artsy photography with it.. but instead to take photos to inspire her art.. most any point & shoot over €100 is probably fine for her needs.

If she does want to do some fancy stuff, many "bridge" cameras should be fine, and should fall within her price range.

If she likes landscapes, there are some cameras out there with seriously wide wide-angle lenses. This would likely be the most important feature to make sure she gets. The "Intelligent Auto" mode on my Panasonic Lumix camera does a good job.. and the Pentax M50 that I had until someone stole it around Christmas also did a good job. You can't go wrong with Canon nor Nikon really either. (Sorry I can't narrow it down much.) If you, or she, has a brand preference, look at that line.

If she's really non-technical, there are cameras out there made by non-camera companies (like my previously-mentioned Lumix) which are really geared for non-photographers. (Casio also makes some, and I'm sure many other brands do.. but at least look at things you've heard of... don't get a cheapo-brand-X)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

If she wants something just to take a good picture, to draw from, any of the top model point and shoot cam's will do under that price. If she would also like to delve a little more into photography, and have a well rounded, versatile cam that delivers images with punch, the something like a canon G9/10 - but unless you can find one used, they are a bit pricey - heading into dslr price range.

A nice bridge cam like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ38EB-K-Digital-Camera/dp/B002KHMJ78/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270412967&sr=1-5

Will not only give you great zoom, but good Image quality too. And if she's not bothered about learning manual settings, Aperture priority or one of the many other auto modes would suffice for her needs. It's within her budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

thanks a mill,
    she wants it mainly for landscape
    would this do the job
    Panasonic ZS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The reviews of that camera are all good. Nice handy size and will suit your Mum very well for what she needs in a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yup, but no offence, the one I linked is better value. Even has HD [720p] video recording, she might find that useful at some point, may as well have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Yup, but no offence, the one I linked is better value. Even has HD [720p] video recording, she might find that useful at some point, may as well have it.

nice 1,will investigate b4 buying,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 piccatcher

Cameras of Nikon are good, buy some good camera that satisfy your needs according to cost and all, one of my friend he is a photographer and using Nikon and the quality of photos are perfect.
    :pac:
    :pac:
    Cork Photography
    Wedding photographer cork

Advertisement