Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picatinny rail

Options
  • 04-04-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering what the advantages of a picatinny rail are. Hoping to change up shortly to a tikka and just wondering would it be worth spending a few quid extra.
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I would always use a picatinny rail where possible. They aid in giving extra range, if you use a 5/10/20/30/40 moa rail, and extra hold/stability with the Weaver style rings that come with aluminium cross saddle. (as below)

49144_00470.gif
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

A picatinny rail simply put is a weaver rail standardised and developed for the US forces at Pinatinny Arsenal NJ to mount accessories on anything that the rail is mount on.

advantages are that some weaver products will fit on a pic rail (depending on there spec)

pretty much evey manufacture in the western world produces there products for picatinny rails. Everything from scope mounts to laser sights

because of the standardisation of the rail and its mounts removing and refitting scopes allows them to retain next to near zero.

scope mounts are now available for most bolt guns that are either flat.... or have a cant to allow for long distange shooting (depending on application)

there are no disadvantages to picatinny rails where the weaver (and other) rails fall short. they are the only way to go !!

hope that helps !

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

They're 'tactical'. Always worth a few quid extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    They're 'tactical'. Always worth a few quid extra.

I believe the word you're looking for is "tacticool"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Jonty wrote: »
    I believe the word you're looking for is "tacticool"!

dam it .. beaten to it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I needed a change of mount and went with the picatinny rail for my CZ 527 varmint. The rail slides along the 16mm dovetail of the gun and is held in place by 8 grub screws, not that it needed it as i had to lightly hammer the rail onto the dovetail.
    Only a cheap set of rings fitted for now.

27032010121.jpg
    27032010118.jpg

Advertisement