Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing a domain name.

Options
  • 04-04-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, iv an idea for a website that id like to tackle within the next year or so. My question is in relation to domain names. If i purchase the name is there anyway for someone else to take it during the time it takes to set up the site?

The name iv got in mind is directly linked to the idea behind the site also it ties into the logo and slogan for the site.

Its a domain i want to secure and keep for good, but iv read people can backorder your domain and purchase when it expires. Will i always have first preference over the name when it expires or is it anyones game?

Another thing is whether to buy both the .ie or .com version or should i get both? The website is something that can be used worldwide and is not specific to any one country.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

once you buy it, its yours until the allotted time is up.

As for the .ie and .com, .ie will have better results in Ireland. All depends on what your site is selling or is about. Good SEO work will help the .com address appear high in Ireland anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

once you buy it, its yours until the allotted time is up.

When this time is up will i get a option to renew my lease?

Heres something that is confusing me, initially the site will solely be focused on Ireland then branch out to other countries. So for this initial period should i use the .ie domain then use the.com domain if it is successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can register a .ie or a .com for up to 10 years.

Prior to the anniversary of the domain's registration you should renew the domain

As long as you do that nobody else will be able to use the domain name.

Just make sure that you keep the contact details up to date ie. if you are using a free email address at the moment and switch to using your domain for email, make sure you update the details with the domain registrar.

Most registrars send renewal notifications via email ONLY, so if you don't check your email you do risk missing the renewal notifications

Cheers lads, iv a few i want to park off. One i couldnt believe wasn't already taken!!

Also whats this i see about pre registering .co domains? this new?

Edit: 21.14pm Ok im about to purchase some domains im going with go daddy. This a wise choice?

steve_ wrote: »
    Cheers lads, iv a few i want to park off. One i couldnt believe wasn't already taken!!

Also whats this i see about pre registering .co domains? this new?

.co is the ccTLD for Colombia, a bit like .ie is the ccTLD for Ireland.

They're currently relaunching to target the global market.
    Edit: 21.14pm Ok im about to purchase some domains im going with go daddy. This a wise choice?
    My view on that would be very biased :)

• Advertisement

At least your honest :)

Is it as simple as just selecting my domain and adding it to my cart?

At least your honest :)

I don't hide who I am :)
    Is it as simple as just selecting my domain and adding it to my cart?

Pretty much

If you're registering .ie domains you'll need to provide extra documentation, but if you're only registering .com / net / org / info / biz / mobi you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh if there's one piece of advice i can give you - because i'm quite a novice in domains/hosting/etc. - is to buy local it will save you hassle in the long run if something goes awry.

Sorry im a complete novice to all this. Can you elaborate on that a little :o

Also do you guys see .co taking off?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i mean if you have an issue with whomever you buy the domain or hosting off that they are based in ireland. that way you can insure that you'll always have an irish person to talk to and also not have to rely on international time zones if you need to call for support (not to mention call cost savings).

• Advertisement

Interesting point there. I was going to register 4 domains for 41 euro with go daddy i wonder if i can get similar prices with an irish provider.

Whats the chances of securing a decent .co domain? how does one go about registering a .co domain?

Interesting point there. I was going to register 4 domains for 41 euro with go daddy i wonder if i can get similar prices with an irish provider.
    It depends on the domain extensions you're trying to register, but *probably*
    Whats the chances of securing a decent .co domain? how does one go about registering a .co domain?

.co isn't fully launched yet.
    Landrush will be in June, with general availability in July

Ok i havent made my purchase yet. Theres something about go daddy i just dont like i cant put my finger on it.

When i buy a domain, is it then mine and mine alone? If i choose to sell it does the group i purchased the domain through get a cut or what way does it work

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nehpets10

Godaddy's website leaves a lot to be desired but they are a popular company and I have used them before with no complaints.

As for .co taking off, my [I'm just some random guy] opinion is that it won't.

Ok i havent made my purchase yet. Theres something about go daddy i just dont like i cant put my finger on it.

Do don't buy from them.

There are about 600 ICANN accredited registrars . GoDaddy is the largest and is US based.

There is only 1 in Ireland.
    When i buy a domain, is it then mine and mine alone?
    As long as you keep paying the renewal fees - yes
    If i choose to sell it does the group i purchased the domain through get a cut or what way does it work
    That depends on how you sell it, but normally no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'm biased with who I'd pick now ... but I'd say to go with an Irish company

Depending on the domains you want it might work out quite cheap with the irish crowds as well

I've personally never liked the godaddy registration pages .. always seemed annoying to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I've registered domains with both Blacknight and GoDaddy. Whenever I buy anything online I look at a couple of main criteria on where to shop: Price, quality and good service. Domains are no different. And both companies have satisfied me in these areas on my experiences to date.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Also do you guys see .co taking off?
    I'm sure it'll be huge, in Columbia. Other than that there'll most likely just be a rush of people buying up the names they have already registered under every other TLD. Unless you want your name under every possible TLD, or .co would have some special meaning in conjunction with your name I don't see why it would be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

sorry to hijack the thread, but i have a related query.

i bought a domain two days ago. on a whim, i checked out a similar-ish domain, it was available. i decided not to bother taking it.

today, i checked again, to find it had been registered, two days ago. it's too unusual a name to be a coincidence, and in the back of my head i remember reading about companies that check availability of domains going and taking a name when someone checks up on it.

now that someone else has it, i really want it!! :D

is there anything that can be done? the dispute procedure with the domain registry people is expensive, and i can't be bothered putting any money into it, it's not that important to me...

just take the lesson and move on?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Would it have killed you to start a new thread?

• Advertisement

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Would it have killed you to start a new thread?

No, but I thought it might be useful to the op as a warning not to delay registering.

Thanks for your useful input.

Can you point out to me where exactly you were warning the op in your post? Seems to me you were hijacking a thread to ask your own questions. Why do I think that? Well ...
    07734 wrote:
    sorry to hijack the thread, but i have a related query...

Cheers for that.

I said "useful as a warning", smarty pants.

It amazes me how people think it's ok to be breathtakingly rude on the internet, in a way that they (hopefully) would never do in real life.

Anyway, if you can't or won't answer my question, that's fine. But why get all hot and bothered about it? Do you own boards?

Bye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

07734 wrote: »
    Cheers for that.

It amazes me how people think it's ok to be breathtakingly rude on the internet, in a way that they (hopefully) would never do in real life.

Anyway, if you can't or won't answer my question, that's fine. But why get all hot and bothered about it? Do you own boards?

Bye

Erm .. he's the forum mod .. and you just said above .. sorry for hijacking the thread and you're asking your own questions on someone elses thread .. this warrants its own thread as its not related to the original posters questions. You could give the warning here and start your own thread.

07734 wrote: »
    Cheers for that.

Bye

As fobairt has already said I'm one of the moderators of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

GoDaddy design is awful but if their price is OK for you, go with them. They offer pretty good perks and a lot of functionality in case you want to play not only with domains but also with full-featured Web sites.

Generally, I'd go with different Registrars for different domains. .eu, which wasn't mentioned here, can be normally best registered with Internet.bs. Actually, they now do .coms too. When I was registering .ie, Letshost.ie was the cheapest. With Windows hosting in mind, I'd choose Aruba.it or GoDaddy. With Linux hosting there's a huge choice so I won't even bother naming anything.
    tbh if there's one piece of advice i can give you - because i'm quite a novice in domains/hosting/etc. - is to buy local it will save you hassle in the long run if something goes awry.
    My advice would be the opposite - buy here only what you can't buy abroad. It'll save you money and hassle.
    irlrobins wrote: »
    Whenever I buy anything online I look at a couple of main criteria on where to shop: Price, quality and good service. Domains are no different.
    This is very right, follow this advice whenever possible:) Most online shops have no loyalty cards;)
    stevenmu wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll be huge, in Columbia. Other than that there'll most likely just be a rush of people buying up the names they have already registered under every other TLD. Unless you want your name under every possible TLD, or .co would have some special meaning in conjunction with your name I don't see why it would be of interest.
    Off the top of my head, I can only think of pepsi.co :P

p.s. Nothing personal but Mods are indeed sometimes unreasonably tough here on boards.

It's not like I banned him, it is considered rude and unhelpful to hijack another person's thread though. Anyway, if you don't like the moderation there are plenty of other development forums out there, I suggest you use them instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement