Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depth of skin?

• 04-04-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

How deep is the flesh over the shin bone? Im asking because Im going to get a tattoo later this month, and am concerned. The needle from a tattoo machine penetrates the skin to roughly 1/8th of an inch. Is that deep enough to hit the bone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 samtastic

Don't worry it wont hit the bone lol, i've had tattoos over my shoulder blades and ankle where theres not much skin. You kinda just feel lots of pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Is there any tell tale sign to look for in the skin that would tell you that the artist did in fact hit the bone? I remember SERIOUSLY feeling it last year when the artist went over the point of my hip bone, but theres no difference in the ink compared to anywhere else on my body.

They just kinda know how deep to go to avoid hitting the bone. I felt it alot on certain parts of my leg and back that were closer to bone but it never hit it lol. Even behind my ear where theres probably less skin that your shin, it didnt go near bone. Don't worry :p

Cheers Sam, so onto my next.. curiosity. Shave my own leg? or have them do it for me, haha. Im thinkin do it myself, cos it could take up valuable inking time if I let them do it :P

Well I did it myself, but I'm a girl so i would anyway haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

The artist would generally shave it just before doing the tattoo, takes seconds.

Sofaspud wrote: »
    The artist would generally shave it just before doing the tattoo, takes seconds.

I duno man, we're talkin a whole shin here. Knee to ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

I duno man, we're talkin a whole shin here. Knee to ankle.

The artist will do it,i got my shin done just before christmas and mine went from my just below my knee to just above my ankle and its all black and gray so you wont have to shave your leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Yeah, I got my calf done recently with bits of shin, knee to ankle. The artist will spray it with shaving stuff and shave it off just before disinfecting the area. Even if you do it yourself, you're not guaranteed to get rid of everywhere they need shaved, it does take them seconds though.

Grand, cheers lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement