Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot Hole /Small Bomb Crater

Options
  • 04-04-2010 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

After all the flooding and ice/snow has anybody managed to have pot hole repairs carried out properly & how. Have a hole 2ft long by 1ft wide & about 8 inches deep. Young lad from the council filled it with stones, poured cold tar over it & threw a few tiny stones over it (the kind that resemble small marbles that kill or injur bikers or destroy your car suspension) nice lad, grand job, just doing what he is told. Four day's later, bomb crater has returned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rip of Ireland

Well that went down well, i guess everyone must of had their hole's fixed. I guess constipation must be an awful problem now. So no one will be moaning & groaning at the next NCT because the arsehole on the other side of the window dared to fail their car for worn suspension due to the perfect roads. Now i wonder will the inspectors all have their holes fixed. Recession is over for me baby, i'm going to start a pre hole inspection, €1 a test, with the help of the local vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

Well that went down well, i guess everyone must of had their hole's fixed. I guess constipation must be an awful problem now. So no one will be moaning & groaning at the next NCT because the arsehole on the other side of the window dared to fail their car for worn suspension due to the perfect roads. Now i wonder will the inspectors all have their holes fixed. Recession is over for me baby, i'm going to start a pre hole inspection, €1 a test, with the help of the local vet.

i dont understand your last post but around my area they use tarmacadam to fill the potholes but new potholes appear in different spots after heavy rain.
    i think the hard frost we have had over the winter did a lot of damage to the minor roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Loughrea has more potholes than tarmac at this stage, and while I could tell you to get onto the council/your local TD/Joe Duffy, its probably more practical to learn where all of the potholes are, and drive around them :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rip of Ireland

To Hoody,

I'm with you on that one, the road that run's up the back of the main street toward's New Inn is like something from down town Bagdad. It's alright Joe Duffy naming & shaming. I'm just wondering who on the council think's these patch work quilt road's are acceptable. Sorry, i was being ironic in regards to holes, but i shouldn't have to spend my time avoiding pot-holes. If i take the bike out on a Sunday, i should be able to use the back roads aswell as the new good road's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

To Hoody,

I'm with you on that one, the road that run's up the back of the main street toward's New Inn is like something from down town Bagdad. It's alright Joe Duffy naming & shaming. I'm just wondering who on the council think's these patch work quilt road's are acceptable. Sorry, i was being ironic in regards to holes, but i shouldn't have to spend my time avoiding pot-holes. If i take the bike out on a Sunday, i should be able to use the back roads aswell as the new good road's.

While I couldnt agree more with you in hoping pot holes are filled soon, I also think that the rare hard winter that we had has destroyed half the road surfaces of Ireland and unfortunately there just isnt the resources to fill every pot hole. There is a finite amount of money councils have and I guess its a jugging act to keep things working and some things are going to suffer. If potholes are filled something else is going to have to suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Webbs wrote: »
    While I couldnt agree more with you in hoping pot holes are filled soon, I also think that the rare hard winter that we had has destroyed half the road surfaces of Ireland and unfortunately there just isnt the resources to fill every pot hole. There is a finite amount of money councils have and I guess its a jugging act to keep things working and some things are going to suffer. If potholes are filled something else is going to have to suffer.

What they could do is learn to do the job properly. I was in the city one day and met an English lad I know. He used to work on the council over there. Our council lads turned up while we were chatting and shoveled half the water out of a pothole before dumping tar and chips into it. My mate reckoned over there they would have to completely drain the pothole, cut the edges straight with a consaw, they'd then use some type of substance to paint the hole, then carefully layer fill it and seal the edges of the repair to join with the existing road.

Ward & Burke done a water job out this way, completely ripped up the roads. But, they fixed them properly, not even the bad weather had an effect on the repair they done, all constructed and sealed properly.

Council couldn't find their arse with both hands, never mind do a job right.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

johngalway wrote: »
    What they could do is learn to do the job properly. I was in the city one day and met an English lad I know. He used to work on the council over there. Our council lads turned up while we were chatting and shoveled half the water out of a pothole before dumping tar and chips into it. My mate reckoned over there they would have to completely drain the pothole, cut the edges straight with a consaw, they'd then use some type of substance to paint the hole, then carefully layer fill it and seal the edges of the repair to join with the existing road.

Ward & Burke done a water job out this way, completely ripped up the roads. But, they fixed them properly, not even the bad weather had an effect on the repair they done, all constructed and sealed properly.

Council couldn't find their arse with both hands, never mind do a job right.
    Completely agree with this, the standard of the work carried out is dreadful and is a greater contributor to the state of the roads than this so-called exceptional weather. I see parts of the N59 every day where the council have 'worked' on the road in the past 6 - 12 months and the condition of the road is worse than when they started. Quality workmanship doesn't cost extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

ciotog wrote: »
    Completely agree with this, the standard of the work carried out is dreadful and is a greater contributor to the state of the roads than this so-called exceptional weather. I see parts of the N59 every day where the council have 'worked' on the road in the past 6 - 12 months and the condition of the road is worse than when they started. Quality workmanship doesn't cost extra.

yes the standard of work the council do is terrible but it has not shown up as badly until this winter due to the hard frost which caused cracking between the layers of surfacing. with any heavy rain that comes the surface is just breaking up causing the potholes. the main problem is that the council always used layers of tar and chippings instead of proper tarmac for surfacing and with the state of the economy at the moment i cant see things improving for the future.

mossfort wrote: »
    yes the standard of work the council do is terrible but it has not shown up as badly until this winter due to the hard frost which caused cracking between the layers of surfacing. with any heavy rain that comes the surface is just breaking up causing the potholes. the main problem is that the council always used layers of tar and chippings instead of proper tarmac for surfacing and with the state of the economy at the moment i cant see things improving for the future.

Nor me. Pity all the good money they've thrown after bad already. Tourists are going to be horrified this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

Tourists? Sadly, I think most people are going to forget that Ireland was a big tourist destination in the recent past:(

I've been through a ball joint, a hub, and had to have the tracking redone 3 times this year, thanks to the horrid road. There is one "pot hole" near my house that extends across nearly the entire road, and it's a good 8 inches deep. And another spot where the road has sunk in an area with an 80km speed limit, but if you go faster than 40 you'll bottom out the car.

It's a good thing my car has an NCT for another year. Because I'm pretty much going to have to drive it and bin it by the end of the year. It will cost more to repair it thanks to the state of the roads, than it will to buy another car.

I sure wish we had some public transportation, but there is no such thing in my area:(

• Advertisement

Public transport :D Yeah. I saw one of the Green ministers on the Frontline I think it was the last night arguing that the alternatives to driving private cars (and thereby not getting hit by the carbon tax) was public transport and cycling... Sure Eamon, that's ever so practical. He's well familiar with my part of the world so I've little time for that nonsense.

A fella was telling me the last day you can actually bill the council for damage, but something on your car has to break when you hit a pothole, not (unfortunately) the immense damage caused by unnecessary wear and tear from day to day means driving across these river beds... sorry, roads. Suspension on my car is a mess I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Driving around parts of loughrea is almost suicidal at times. The "old main road" has been dug up over the last few months from the new hotel to the west bridge and it resembles something from a WII movie. A combination of the damage done by the extreme weather and the contractors digging up the road and laying temporary (i really hope it is templorary repairs) have turned the road into a terrible state. Also the road going from Pauls Garage behind the new shopping centre to the by pass is leathal, cars dodging pot holes (that had been filled in previously, but now are back) and getting in each others path.
    Just as well people are taking it handy enough, but its only a matter of time before there is a crash caused by a blowout or someone trying to dodge a pothole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Friend of mine came upon this a while back, let's get cataloguing them for Galway!
    http://www.potholes.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

johngalway wrote: »
    Public transport :D Yeah. I saw one of the Green ministers on the Frontline I think it was the last night arguing that the alternatives to driving private cars (and thereby not getting hit by the carbon tax) was public transport and cycling... Sure Eamon, that's ever so practical. He's well familiar with my part of the world so I've little time for that nonsense.

A fella was telling me the last day you can actually bill the council for damage, but something on your car has to break when you hit a pothole, not (unfortunately) the immense damage caused by unnecessary wear and tear from day to day means driving across these river beds... sorry, roads. Suspension on my car is a mess I have to say.

Yeah, I get mad every time I hear some politician saying "get out of your cars and take public transport". I commute an hour one way to work. To take public transport, I'd have to drive 20 minutes to the nearest bus, spend an hour on the bus, then take a taxi 10 miles to where I work(no public transport goes near it). So it would take me a bit more than two hours and 25 euro-one way! And the time schedule is wrong, I'd have to either be an hour late to work every day, or two hours early.

I drive a pony and cart locally, to the shop and bank. The only good thing about the potholes is, it slows the traffic down some which makes it a bit safer when I'm driving the pony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

spender.j wrote: »
    Friend of mine came upon this a while back, let's get cataloguing them for Galway!
    http://www.potholes.ie/
    That link isn't working for me, is it me or the link!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

it's working for me, maybe paste to your search bar...:)

Link works for me, also copied it to my sig.

Advertisement