Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The snow storms of March 30th 2010

Options
  • 04-04-2010 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭

I feel the snowstorms of last Tuesday got very little national coverage, mainly due to Dublin not being affected.
    Yesterday I listened to the farming program after the 8am news on radio 1 and they were talking to a farmer from Cavan.
    He said the snowstorms started around 9:30am and continued to 11:30pm. There was between 12 to 14 inches of snow and drifts upto 7 feet high.

The blizzards killed calves that were out, he said two smothered in the snow and there was roof collapses on some farm buildings in the county from the weight of the snow and in once case some cattle were killed.
    It was worse than the 1982 snow storm according to the farmer.

Here in North Kilkenny the snow started around 6:30pm and continued to near 1am. It was the worse snow I had ever seen, we got about a half foot of snow and drifts over 3 feet high, my road was ok in that it was not at the right angle for drifting snow but some roads nearby were impassable with a few feet of snow, local farmers cleared the roads.
    We still have snow here, its mostly in the ditches now, it was a high ground event as the lower land in Kilkenny got no lying snow.
    We are lucky this snow didn't fall in January, it was far worse than the January blizzard around here which in itself was bad enough.

It should have gotten far more coverage in the news but then Dublin was not under 3 to 7 feet of snow drifts - directed at the media.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I thought the snow we had here from that event on January the 13th was bad, but it seems what you had was even worse. it's a pity you dont have a video or photos of the snow storm.
    anyway it was a rude awakening to those who think such events can't happen once spring officially starts. it will be interesting to see just how long it takes for all the snow on the mountain tops in the east and south east to melt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

There was no snow on lower ground in south kilkenny, but up on saddle hill and coppenagh gap over near graignamanagh had similar conditions to North kilkenny, even after two mild days there were still drifts of 2+ feet.

I agree about lack of coverage, its disgraceful that anything outside of Dublin isn't reported on the news. They wouldn't even have mentioned the heavy midlands snow only that they were reporting about Quinn insurance from Cavan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Min wrote: »
    It should have gotten far more coverage in the news but then Dublin was not under 3 to 7 feet of snow drifts - directed at the media.....

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Thik this is what you ment to say:D

It would have gotten far more coverage in the news had Dublin been under 3 to 7 feetmillimetres of snow - directed at the media.....[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Not a great picture(hope i attached it correctly!), but this is about 1hr into the blizzards in the Midlands, so about 6.30pm in the evening. It continued on well into the early hours of the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

This is true the coverage from this area was very poor. The snow started here at around 9.30am it snowed the whole day, I went to bed just before 11pm at it was still snowing. We had around 6 to 10 inches of snow next morning and i live ASL it all depended if you were facing that severe N/NE wind.

I know of two sheds collapsing near my home with the weight of snow on the roof, also i was talking to a 85year old man who told me he cannot recall the last time it snowed for so long without stopping except for 1947.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Not a great picture(hope i attached it correctly!), but this is about 1hr into the blizzards in the Midlands, so about 6.30pm in the evening. It continued on well into the early hours of the morning.

That is no were near bad as here!:P Six foot drifts here... and its still up there at the top but its going quick now though drifts are lasting... temps of 15c wont help it at all... my cousin from ballymoney couldn't find her car and she is still out of power.. so theres something for you.. i also drove three quarters of the way up my road and the snow had covered the road upto car bonet from hedges right accross it wasnt even able to be snow plowed.. funny how nothing was lying down here! :mad:

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    This is true the coverage from this area was very poor. The snow started here at around 9.30am it snowed the whole day, I went to bed just before 11pm at it was still snowing. We had around 6 to 10 inches of snow next morning and i live ASL it all depended if you were facing that severe N/NE wind.

I know of two sheds collapsing near my home with the weight of snow on the roof, also i was talking to a 85year old man who told me he cannot recall the last time it snowed for so long without stopping except for 1947.

yes my dad said it was like the snow he had when he was a child.. but it wouldnt have been bad just a typical year.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

was up walking in sliabh beagh hills today and there are huge snow drifts. saw a gully that had about 8 foot of snow in it. this was prob one of the biggest snowstorms ever to hit these hills. will upload some pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

a few more pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Speak Now

owenc wrote: »
    That is no were near bad as here!:P Six foot drifts here... and its still up there at the top but its going quick now though drifts are lasting... temps of 15c wont help it at all... my cousin from ballymoney couldn't find her car and she is still out of power.. so theres something for you.. i also drove three quarters of the way up my road and the snow had covered the road upto car bonet from hedges right accross it wasnt even able to be snow plowed.. funny how nothing was lying down here! :mad:

So Min had it worse than you then :rolleyes:

So Min had it worse than you then :rolleyes:

no:rolleyes: are you just jealous cuz you live hundreds of miles away on the south coast... were it constantly rains!

no:rolleyes: are you just jealous cuz you live hundreds of miles away on the south coast... were it constantly rains!

Sunny south east FrostyJoe :pac:
    I'm sure i get less rain than you :p

Sunny south east FrostyJoe :pac:
    I'm sure i get less rain than you :p

yea right i live in the east (well north central tbh) and we get hardly any rain.. but in the west they get bucketful's... and you live near cork or somewhere..and they get tons and tons of rain.. sure just look at the radar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

yea right i live in the east (well north central tbh) and we get hardly any rain

Owen, are you talking about Ireland - or Cloud Cuckoo Land?

snow ghost wrote: »
    Owen, are you talking about Ireland - or Cloud Cuckoo Land?

compared to him in the west.

yea right i live in the east (well north central tbh) and we get hardly any rain.. but in the west they get bucketful's... and you live near cork or somewhere..and they get tons and tons of rain.. sure just look at the radar now.

:rolleyes:

I'm as near to cork as you'd be to Donegal town :o
    Do you see the difference:confused:

Check Met Eireann's rainfall map for Ireland out:

http://www.met.ie/climate/rainfall.asp

:rolleyes:

I'm as near to cork as you'd be to Donegal town :o
    Do you see the difference:confused:

oh ya but still you are miles down there so the climate will be totally different. so you will get loads of rain.. not that we dont...:rolleyes:

Check Met Eireann's rainfall map for Ireland out:

http://www.met.ie/climate/rainfall.asp

yes im in a very light area for rainfall..

• Advertisement

oh ya but still you are miles down there so the climate will be totally different. so you will get loads of rain.. not that we dont...:rolleyes:

I'm not miles down here, you're miles up there :pac:

I'm not miles down here, you're miles up there :pac:

idc your like 300 miles away im closer to aberdeen in scotland. actually im closer to scotland than most places over the border.

idc your like 300 miles away im closer to aberdeen in scotland. actually im closer to scotland than most places over the border.

Probably about 250 miles!
    So you're practically scottish then so i guess that makes me Welsh :D

Probably about 250 miles!
    So you're practically scottish then so i guess that makes me Welsh :D

oh yea... though your like 60 miles from wales?? and im like 10 miles from scotland... well 30 or 40 to mainland.

That makes me a yank! :eek: too ra loo la loo rah... too ra loo ra lay give me a pint of leprechaun juice and a turf burger you Patties.

Or maybe a Canadian Newfoundlander?

Owen, here on the West coast on a clear night you can see the lights of the Boston skyscrapers twinkling on the horizon.

That makes me a yank! :eek: too ra loo la loo rah... too ra loo ra lay give me a pint of leprechaun juice and a turf burger you Patties.

Or maybe a Canadian Newfoundlander?

Owen, here on the West coast on a clear night you can see the lights of the Boston skyscrapers twinkling on the horizon.

i dont think so somehow!:eek: but you can see the lights in scotland from here... and the cars through the day.. and im not joking. show me a pic of the boston skyline from the west coast of ireland then! Theres a pic but its not on a clear day.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/joysmith7mr/4462658655/

Wow thats's amazing :eek: I've heard some parts of Ireland can see the sun on a clear day even though it's 93 million miles away :D

i dont think so somehow!:eek: but you can see the lights in scotland from here... and the cars through the day.. and im not joking. show me a pic of the boston skyline from the west coast of ireland then! Theres a pic but its not on a clear day.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/joysmith7mr/4462658655/

That's pretty cool Owen. :cool:

Being able to see Boston only happens at certain times of year, when the curvature of the earth is at it minimum and there is a very low spring tide... you'd be looking out to sea next minute Boston pops up like Brigadoon and you can wave at the people working there. You should believe me I got thrown out fo geography class when I was at school for stating something similar in my homework.

I thought I saw the statue of liberty one day but on closer inspection with the binoclulars it was just someone on Clare island eating an icecream. :)

That's pretty cool Owen. :cool:

Being able to see Boston only happens at certain times of year, when the curvature of the earth is at it minimum and there is a very low spring tide... you'd be looking out to sea next minute Boston pops up like Brigadoon and you can wave at the people working there. You should believe me I got thrown out fo geography class when I was at school for stating something similar in my homework.

I thought I saw the statue of liberty one day but on closer inspection with the binoclulars it was just someone on Clare island eating an icecream. :)

LIER!! you cant see the us from there or anywhere else in the british isles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

LIER!! you cant see the us from there or anywhere else in the british isles!

Owen, turn on your sarcasm detector. Seriously he's joking. Even I can tell that, and I'm in wales. ( a.k.a. Kilkenny :D)

Advertisement