Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats or Kavanagh???..which is more likely to come up and why????

Options
  • 04-04-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

So far i only have studied longley!!...was thinking then to do boland and yeats?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Boland and Yeats are both very likely to come up. Boland because it's been a while since she came up and Yeats because it was a celebration of his 80 year anniversary last year, but he didn't come up on the 2009 paper. It's only logical that he'd come up on this year's paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yeats but the general consensus is that both are possibly coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

My grinds teacher reckons it will be: Eliot, Boland, Yeats and Kavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

NufcNavan wrote: »
    My grinds teacher reckons it will be: Eliot, Boland, Yeats and Kavanagh.

that is three Irish poets there... fairly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

As long as Eliot or Yeats come up I could care less who else comes up but my money is on Boland, Longley Kavanagh or Keats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ger2

If you manage to get Boland out of the way you'll be grand:

1. She hasn't been up since 2006
    2. She falls in Irish poet category
    3. She falls in Female poet category

Stick with Longley aswel but try to get a bit in on Kavanagh...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

Or the people who set the english paper could pull a stunt like they did with the Irish HL paper last year(r.e. stair) and repeat a poet.

Keats anyone?

I imagine that would make a lot of people rather mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

repeat a poet.

Keats anyone?

possibly. Didn't he come up twice last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

I am hoping for Boland, Longely and Rich!! There the ones I really only know?

Any suggestions on the type of questions that could be asked ?

Why is it everyone's teacher has deprived them of Eliot??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

Yeah :P Our teacher didn't even look at or even mention Elliot to us??

It actualy makes me so sad that some teachers arn't doing Eliot regardless of weather they think he'll come up or not. W/ the possible exception of Yeats or Keats he's the best on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

My teacher reckons Eliot will be up this year!

I honestly hope he does just because of how easy it is to write about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I'd love to do Eliot, but our teacher is just so....(insert appropriate adjective here). Watching paint dry is more exciting than being in that class. Slightly tempted to go out on a limb and do Eliot myself instead of Boland or Rich. But I'm going to keep one of those on the basis of them being female.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

I reckon its going to be Boland, Kavanagh/Elliot, Longley and Yeats.

Dream Paper: Boland, Kavanagh, Longley and Rich.:D:D (only ones I'm studying!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

A female poet always comes up, or is that a myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

karlog wrote: »
    A female poet always comes up, or is that a myth?

A female poet has come up every year since the course was revised in 2002 but I have a sneaky feeling one won't come up this year because next year's course is half women.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CreamCrackers

My teacher is the head of the english department in Leinster and sets the contingency paper. Mum had him for the LC and she says he has a good idea of whats coming up. The girls was panicking lat year because of the mishap with paper 2 and they emailed him. He replied telling them not worry because the papers were similar. He said an Irish poet has to come up. We have studied peots in the following order 1. Boland 2. Longley 3 Kavannagh 4. Yeats and we are going to do Eliot. Particular emphaisis have gone on Boland, Longley, Kanannagh and Yeats. Likely candidates for this year but 4 Irish peots coming up... not sure that its likely to happen but one of them has to! My predictions are 1. BOLAND.. rich came up in 07 or 08 and is on next years course 2. LONGLEY.. not on next years course.. Kavannagh is and Longley didnt come up last year and he hasnt come up since 2006. 3. ELIOT... was on last years course and didnt come up. Hes not on next years course. 4. YEATS... hasnt come up since 2005. He was on the course in 2007 but didn't come up.

I am studying the poets my teacher did with us but ill be spending more time on Boland, Longley, Eliot and Yeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pmpmurphy

yeats probarly because hes deadly and hasn't come up since 2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I hope Elliot doesnt come up I can't stand him!!!I'm hoping for Boland,Kavanagh,Yeats and Longely.

gant0 wrote: »
    I hope Elliot doesnt come up I can't stand him!!!I'm hoping for Boland,Kavanagh,Yeats and Longely.

I really dont think Kavannagh will come up.. I would prefer him over Longley though! I could be wrong though. My friend is saying to expect the unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Dunno,if I had to put a bet on i'd bet on kavanagh coming up.Apparantly he hasn't been up in a while and is off the course soon.

gant0 wrote: »
    Dunno,if I had to put a bet on i'd bet on kavanagh coming up.Apparantly he hasn't been up in a while and is off the course soon.

He's on the course for next year though and Longley isnt which is why Id think Longley is more likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

Eliot ftw....his poems are so interesting...and thats coming from someone who doesnt like english!

Can someone tell me how to approach studying for english paper 2? Im particular the poetry! I intended on writing a 5 page essay for each and learning it off but my friend said doing that didnt work for her last year. I need to be able to learn things off otherwise I wont have a clue! English just doesnt come naturally to me lol. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

Can someone tell me how to approach studying for english paper 2? Im particular the poetry! I intended on writing a 5 page essay for each and learning it off but my friend said doing that didnt work for her last year. I need to be able to learn things off otherwise I wont have a clue! English just doesnt come naturally to me lol. Any advice?

You cant really learn things off? Learn the themes of all the poets, and some quotes. Know what the poems are about, and how to link them together when writing an essay is your best bet!

If you just regurgitate a learnt off essay the examiner will know straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

Note-taking - have a page beside an essay you have written on a topic and take notes that shorten the essay. After three of four attempts you may be able to shorten these notes onto index cards. If you know what the poem is about you will be able to write anything on it - go here for more info (yes I am spamming my own blog)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Bit off topic but no points starting a new thread.I just wanted to ask how many poets poeple were doing? I'm about to start my seventh one and I think it's too much, seeing as only 4 come up! Anyone else doing this?

Advertisement