Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats or Kavanagh???..which is more likely to come up and why????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

Bit off topic but no points starting a new thread.I just wanted to ask how many poets poeple were doing? I'm about to start my seventh one and I think it's too much, seeing as only 4 come up! Anyone else doing this?

Five poets are enough - at least one will come up on the day. Pick the usual: Irish/Dead/Female/Male and one wildcard. Five poems are then enough from the prescribed poems (I know it says six, but five is enough...do six if you want to be really safe).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

damojag wrote: »
    Five poets are enough - at least one will come up on the day. Pick the usual: Irish/Dead/Female/Male and one wildcard. Five poems are then enough from the prescribed poems (I know it says six, but five is enough...do six if you want to be really safe).

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks. I havn't any choice in the matter as my teacher's doing it but I just think it's strange to spend so much time doing 7 poets when we only need 5/6.

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks. I havn't any choice in the matter as my teacher's doing it but I just think it's strange to spend so much time doing 7 poets when we only need 5/6.

Go with what your teacher is doing IN CLASS but in your own study focus on what you think needs attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CreamCrackers

Note-taking - have a page beside an essay you have written on a topic and take notes that shorten the essay. After three of four attempts you may be able to shorten these notes onto index cards. If you know what the poem is about you will be able to write anything on it - go here for more info (yes I am spamming my own blog)

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MCannon

Yeats fo sho!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Bit off topic but no points starting a new thread.I just wanted to ask how many poets poeple were doing? I'm about to start my seventh one and I think it's too much, seeing as only 4 come up! Anyone else doing this?

We're doing 8 in my class. That way we can decide which poets we'll study properly at home.

We're doing 8 in my class. That way we can decide which poets we'll study properly at home.

EIGHT?! Your teacher must have started this in 5th Year Day 1 - why 8?! That is WAY too many...is it just poetry you're doing for English? No comparative?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

I'm doing three; Boland, Rich and Yeats.

Im doin 5.. yeats, eliot, boland, kavannagh and longley

EIGHT?! Your teacher must have started this in 5th Year Day 1 - why 8?! That is WAY too many...is it just poetry you're doing for English? No comparative?

We're doing the full course. She admits that most teachers think it's a bit too much, doing 8 poets and all 3 modes for the comparative. At first I thought they were right, but she's definitely managed to pull it off. We're 2 poems away from finishing the full English course. We've done King Lear like twice already lol

• Advertisement

We're doing the full course. She admits that most teachers think it's a bit too much, doing 8 poets and all 3 modes for the comparative. At first I thought they were right, but she's definitely managed to pull it off. We're 2 poems away from finishing the full English course. We've done King Lear like twice already lol

my god! how? i didn't think that was possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Keats anyone?

I imagine that would make a lot of people rather mad.

I don't think they'll be looking to ruffle too many feathers after last year's fiasco, tbh.

MavisDavis wrote: »
    I don't think they'll be looking to ruffle too many feathers after last year's fiasco, tbh.

I agree. The likelihood of keats coming up is slim

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Last year's fiasco had nothing whatsoever to do with the people setting the exams, and I doubt very much whether it will influence their thinking in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Everyones betting on BOLAND! Lol and Kavanagh too - Plus they were on both of the mock papers

RoRoCullen wrote: »
    Everyones betting on BOLAND! Lol and Kavanagh too - Plus they were on both of the mock papers

I don't think Kavanagh was on the DEB paper. At least I don't remember him being on it at all. I might be wrong though, it's been so long lol

I really hope Yeats is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

We have all eight done as well. Finished around March. Have read all our comparative books twice as well as King Lear.

RedRebel92 wrote: »
    We have all eight done as well. Finished around March. Have read all our comparative books twice as well as King Lear.

Wow that's great, i'm no where near that :eek:
    I've only done 5 and a half poets, King Lear, a bit of General Vision and View Point and Culteral Context. I plan on doing the rest my self because it's getting a bit out of hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I've only done 5 and a half poets, King Lear, a bit of General Vision and View Point and Culteral Context. I plan on doing the rest my self because it's getting a bit out of hand!

You're grand. You don't need to do all eight poets and only need to cover two of the comparative modes anyway. There are still a few weeks left, but it sounds like you're pretty well set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Doing 8 is absolutely mental, 5 is fine. You only need 2 modes, why kill yourself studying 3? Don't start stressing because others have covered more (and they really are the exception), it's not a competition. At the end of the day, you only write 3 essays on paper II.

How on earth do teachers get paper one covered if they cover all 8 poets and the 3 modes? My timetable would need to be doubled to even contemplate this:eek:

• Advertisement

You're grand. You don't need to do all eight poets and only need to cover two of the comparative modes anyway. There are still a few weeks left, but it sounds like you're pretty well set.
    deemark wrote: »
    Doing 8 is absolutely mental, 5 is fine. You only need 2 modes, why kill yourself studying 3? Don't start stressing because others have covered more (and they really are the exception), it's not a competition. At the end of the day, you only write 3 essays on paper II.

Thanks : ) Yeah we have a good bit done done it just feels like there's a lot more to do. My teacher knows what she's doing though so I shouldn't be that worried, I just wish we were a little bit further on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bookmarked

well i know yeats, boland, keats, kavanagh and longley pretty well. our english teacher reckons we can get another poet done, so that's 6 poets. she's not going to do eliot with us which im a bit disappointed about because i think his poems are amazing. might learn him just by myself haha

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Im doing Boland,Rich, Yeats and Kavanagh, how does that sound..:S

Theres a girl in my class just doing the two women because of the 'one women always comes up' theory, but she more than likely knows all the rest anyways, would anyone else chance it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

A193 wrote: »
    Theres a girl in my class just doing the two women because of the 'one women always comes up' theory, but she more than likely knows all the rest anyways, would anyone else chance it?

Nope I wouldn't chance it at all. According to our teacher the 'one woman always has to come up' thing is only what has happened every year thus far but it's not written in stone. Apparently lots of people are expecting them to not put on a female poet sometime soon and this year is possible seeing as for next year's exam there's 3 female poets on the course.

So basically no I will not be risking it. I will be knowing Boland and Rich well but I'll also be knowing Kavanagh, Longley and Eliot very well too! (Well hopefully! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

I don't think Kavanagh was on the DEB paper. At least I don't remember him being on it at all. I might be wrong though, it's been so long lol

I really hope Yeats is on.

I know people who are only doing two and three poets. Im doing five and going over the sixth. They can take the woman off, so I dont know why people are depending on choosing three lol. Im doing Boland, Rich, Yeats, Keats, Longley and reading over Kavanagh. I HATE Kavanagh and Keats.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

DGRulz wrote: »
    Why is it everyone's teacher has deprived them of Eliot??
    we did eliot :L

bit iffy.

i didnt liek him, but when we did a question i did 7 and a half pages so now i dont know :L

i would love kavanagh, but i think he is on next year? so probably not that likely

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I only have essays on boland kav n longley done. I'm going to do Yeats but don't bank on him coming up just cus it's his anniversary or whatever... My teacher said everyone thought that wen she did tge LC n he didn't come up... Everyone was quite shocked.

My teacher is rubbish I really hate her. We have only started doing paper 1 n all she ever does is read notes she doesn't teach... It's sorta pathetic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Please god say Yeats Kavanagh and Boland...I would actually be so so happy!! :) I'd say those 3, Longley too and Im not sure who else!

Advertisement