Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strikeforce Nashville

• 04-04-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, did a search there and didnt see any thread on this , how do you guys think its gonna play out?

Main card

Mw, Dan henderson vs Jake shields.

Lhw, Muhammad(king mo)lawal vs Gegard Mousasi.

Lw, Gilbert Melendez vs shinya aoki

the preliminary fights dont seem to have been confirmed as of yet(open to correction).

personally i think its gonna be Henderson and mousasi winning, and i hope Melendez pulls through, although id say shinya will probably win it.

your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hendo and Moussasi for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hendo,Mousasi and Aoki for me

Apparently Lashley is gonna be the 4th fight on the live card.Wonder who his opponent will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

cracking fights very hard to call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

A savage card indeed. The best Strikeforce one to date? Perhaps. At least they got something right-as opposed to Brett Rogers getting a shot at the heavyweight title '?' whats with that? I will go for 'Mousasi,Aoki and Hendo'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

yea its shaping up to be a nice card, as good as ufc 100 in my opinion, cant wait to see shields get KTFO

• Advertisement

Hendo,Mousasi and Aoki for me

Apparently Lashley is gonna be the 4th fight on the live card.Wonder who his opponent will be
    oO ,where did you hear this? i like watching him fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The deal with Lashley is that they'd like him on the show since he'd be the second biggest star behind Henderson. But with three title fights on the live show they can't guarantee that Lashley will make it onto tv, so they can't advertise him for the show. But they still haven't figured out an opponent for him yet, so I'd say it's unlikely at this stage

That's the tactic often taken by promoters with guys like Lashley though. They want him to win so they let him know when he's fighting but don't tell his opponent until a short time before the fight. The opponent will jump at the opportunity to fight a guy seen as a star even though he hasn't got enough time to prepare, usually leading to an easier fight for the guy that the promotion wants to win

Mousasi has never fought a wrestler at the level of King Mo. He should be able to handle him but I think that it's the most competitive fight for him since he fought Jacare

Henderson should really just be too big and powerful for Shields. The interesting thing is that Shields is out of contract after this fight so if he wins the UFC will probably jump at signing him given how many people are likely to watch this show

Melendez should beat Aoki too I think. He's got much more powerful striking and should be able to defend any Aoki takedown attempts

Anyone hear that ufc is re-airing ufc 110 on the same night as this ? seems they're getting a bit scared of the strikeforce popularity.

• Advertisement

Mayhem Miller vs Tim Stout added. Might be broadcast depending on time
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Mayhem-Stout-Bout-Added-to-April-17-Strikeforce-23673

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

"Bravo Sunday 18th at 10pm, on taped delay"

Is this a confirmed time?

Might bring all the mma club out to watch the event :D

Can't w8, should be a class event with good match ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Kerikosan wrote: »
    "Bravo Sunday 18th at 10pm, on taped delay"

Is this a confirmed time?

Might bring all the mma club out to watch the event :D

Can't w8, should be a class event with good match ups!

On there website it says its on at 10 all right.

2200 Strikeforce: Nashville

Explosive mixed martial arts action from the other side of the Atlantic featuring some of the most brutal fighters in the world. Three championship belts are up for grabs as the light heavyweight, middleweight and lightweight champs defend their titles.
    </H4>
    http://www.bravo.co.uk/tv-listings/?b_chnl=1&d=4&t=4

Looking forward to this one. I think Hendo will have too much for Shields and Mousassi will win his bout.

I was watching a rerun of Melendez vs Clay Guida and he looked very good in that fight even if it was nearly 4 years ago. Not sure how he will fair out against Aoiki but should be a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Is there any bookmakers doing this card, seems like paddy power have just UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

This is going to be such a great card. It's kind of strange that a big factor in the three main fights will be the takedowns - the success of Mousasi, Hendo and Melendez, in my opinion, all depend on whether they can keep it standing or not. Is Mousasi's TDD good enough to stop King Mo? I don't know, I don't know if anyone at 205 could stop all his shots for 25 minutes, he's probably the best wrestler in MMA at the moment. In saying that, I don't know if Mo is good enough to keep himself out of Mousasi's submission game. I can see Aoki getting Melendez down too with his judo. If he can't, well, I just don't see how he can win.

Should be a great card anyway, I'm backing Hendo, Mousasi and Aoki. They really could go either way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mcnallg

Anyone know where you can get a legit stream of this event live? Last time you could get it for $5 but that was a M1 Global co promotion so not sure if its the same story this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Jayo_M wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone at 205 could stop all his shots for 25 minutes, he's probably the best wrestler in MMA at the moment.

Until King Mo takes down some other quality opponents I would still consider GSP as having the best wrestling for MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Really Really excited about this card. All the top three fights are gona be serious. I have to admit aswell I'm a closet mayhem miller fan so looking forward to seeing that fight too.

Main fight im looking forward too is Aoike. I love the way Strikeforce are bringing over a Japanese fighter in his prime to fight. The formulae of burnt out fighter coming over and not being able to translate their dominance to the America seen is fast becoming jaded. Heres hoping he breaks another arm!!!lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's kind of strange that a big factor in the three main fights will be the takedowns - the success of Mousasi, Hendo and Melendez, in my opinion, all depend on whether they can keep it standing or not. .

I have a hunch Henderson will do ok if it goes to the ground.:D

Sorry, I meant King Mo is probably the best wrestler to crossover into MMA, not necessarily that he has the best MMA-style wrestling. Not yet anyway.

And I don't think Hendo can nullify Shield's BJJ - but knowing my luck on 'analysis', Hendo will probably win by RNC :-p

• Advertisement

I saw an interview with King Mo on youtube. He's bit of a character to say the least. He said something along the lines there isn't anyone in MMA with his level of wrestling. I know he was an olympic alternate and stuff but he didn't even mention any of the 'top wrestlers' in UFC. I think this strikeforce guard is going to be amazing can't wait. I thnk Mo is a legit top 10 guy but I think Mousassi is top 3.

I wouldn't put Mo in the top 10 considering his standard of opponents. I think a strong performance, even if he loses, against Mousasi could put him in the top 10.

And I don't think Hendo can nullify Shield's BJJ - but knowing my luck on 'analysis', Hendo will probably win by RNC :-p
    With that right hand he doesn't need to.He just needs to deal with Shields takedowns which I think he'll be more then comfortable with. Bisping Rd.2 anyone?

anyone have any idea where to get a stream of this btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Is it on t.v?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ceauke

Chillaxe wrote: »
    Is it on t.v?
    http://www.bravo.co.uk/tv-listings/?b_chnl=1&d=1&t=4
    Bravo will have it Sunday evening at 22:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Really Really excited about this card. All the top three fights are gona be serious. I have to admit aswell I'm a closet mayhem miller fan so looking forward to seeing that fight too.

Main fight im looking forward too is Aoike. I love the way Strikeforce are bringing over a Japanese fighter in his prime to fight. The formulae of burnt out fighter coming over and not being able to translate their dominance to the America seen is fast becoming jaded. Heres hoping he breaks another arm!!!lol

Yup, I'm looking forward to Aoki's fight for the same reason. He looks a tad smaller than Gilbert so wil be intersting to see if he can get it to the ground, If he can, and keep it there, I'm pretty sure he'll get a sub. I'm thinking heelhook like he did to Alverez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Hendo next champ!

cant see shields beating him.

start time?

• Advertisement

TechnoPool wrote: »
    start time?

2am our time I think

Mousasi doesn't even seem to care. Conspriacy theory: He's after leaving M1 and no Strikeforce champion clause? = UFC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

@ Ultimate Chin

Didn't he just sign a new 4 fight deal with Strikeforce?

Edit - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/16/1426850/mousasi-re-signs-2-year-deal-with

@ Ultimate Chin

Didn't he just sign a new 4 fight deal with Strikeforce?

Edit - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/16/1426850/mousasi-re-signs-2-year-deal-with

Didnt see that news.Hmmm...then ive no explanation

• Advertisement

dunno ****e fight, he just didnt seem bothered, had plenty of chances to get back up when mo had him down. Dunno what was going on.

he had no answer for the take down, but mo was hardly working hard to hold him down.

2 streams i had died, any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Any links anybody???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Did the Aoki / Melendez fight hit the ground at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I was expecting the badforthesport crowd on here to be all over this:
    http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/4/17/1428627/strike-force-special-ends-with

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Brawl was pretty crazy.No need for miller to get up in Jakes face but he feels hard done by and he should after his decision loss to Shields. Disgraceful the Diaz's getting involved though.Along with the whole of Shields camp. Kicking and punching Miller when on the ground. Plus Shields admitted he instigated it by pushing Miller. Hope doesn't have lasting affect on the promotion.

Otherwise I dunno for such a stacked card did it live up to the hype?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

rovert wrote: »
    I was expecting the badforthesport crowd on here to be all over this:
    http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/4/17/1428627/strike-force-special-ends-with

I really think MMA should stay clear of these pro wrestling stunts. Its sad when you see MMA promoters approaching State ACs about state sanctioning saying the fighters are well educated and gentleman and not beer drinking thugs that look and act like they should be in jail. Then stuff like this happens. Its lowbrow and turns people off seeing this.

Its a shame StrikeForce survived the ProElite disaster only to be done in with this kind stupidity and desperation. The same stupidity and desperation that led to ProElite's demise.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I really think MMA should stay clear of these pro wrestling stunts. Its sad when you see MMA promoters approaching State ACs about state sanctioning saying the fighters are well educated and gentleman and not beer drinking thugs that look and act like they should be in jail. Then stuff like this happens. Its lowbrow and turns people off seeing this.

Its a shame StrikeForce survived the ProElite disaster only to be done in with this kind stupidity and desperation. The same stupidity and desperation that led to ProElite's demise.

It is more of a boxing than a Pro Wrestling stunt in fairness.

I wonder if they will show it on the European boardcast tonight.

Reminds me of brawl outside a pub

Tbh, I don't really care about post-fight brawls, they're slightly entertaining. As I said to a buddy of mine, i'm not in the MMA pr business so i couldn't care less about what's bad for the sport.

Do strikeforce/cbs care? If they do they have to deduct (if legally possible) 10k from Gilbert's, Mayhems and possibly Shields' purse. Otherwise, they're condoning it.

DIaz brothers are little gangsters.

I'll leave the fight discussion out til after the european airing.

DUCK MAYHEM

T1_0417_shieldsmills.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Not the greatest show I have ever seen but that was really some bull**** at the end of the show.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Not the greatest show I have ever seen but that was really some bull**** at the end of the show.

It was some kind of boring alright. Given the low rating it drew in the States on CBS I think the Brawl actually did the show a favour. As it gave SOMETHING for people to talk about coming out of the show.

Dana has got to be loving everything what happened last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

rovert wrote: »
    It was some kind of boring alright. Given the low rating it drew in the States on CBS I think the Brawl actually did the show a favour. As it gave SOMETHING for people to talk about coming out of the show.

It now gives Strikeforce a reason and promotional angle to put on a Miller / Diaz fight at a catch weight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement