Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strikeforce Nashville

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wow was not expecting any of the results on the main card, thank fook I had no money on those :eek:

Worst strike force I can remember? And that was strike force with it's biggest card to date. Even with the 'Phil Baroni' esq moment :D actually that was a hell of a lot worse than that :(

Edit: Actually looking at it again strikeforce themselves need to be held to account for that not just the fighters involved, much as I criticise UFC never do they allow that many in the cage post fight. And actually yes the cynic in my would call it a 'pro-wrestling/boxing' stunt. Actually no I'd call it an Elite XC stunt :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

calex71 wrote: »
    Wow was not expecting any of the results on the main card, thank fook I had no money on those :eek:

I didn't expect Henderson and Mousasi to lose. I picked Melendez to beat Aoki because Melendez's standup is very solid and the only way Aoki was going to win was to the fight to the ground which I figured would not happen.

unknown13 wrote: »
    I didn't expect Henderson and Mousasi to lose. I picked Melendez to beat Aoki because Melendez's standup is very solid and the only way Aoki was going to win was to the fight to the ground which I figured would not happen.

I really thought Aoki would have fared better than he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I really thought Aoki would have fared better than he did

I was surprised he didn't win a single round on the scorecards. I taught he might have won one or two on some cards. The big question now who is in the top 3 LW's in the World.

Probably a tad reactionary , but after that event rankings should not be effected. That really could have been called Elite XC Nashville :(

Edit: and after my many objections about some fighters moving to UFC in the past, I almost feel that some should jump ship asap before said ship sinks:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id still pick Aoki if they fight in Dream.The ring & japanese rules suit him much more

Id still pick Aoki if they fight in Dream.The ring & japanese rules suit him much more

How weird was it to see him fight in shorts and not full tights :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

How weird was it to see him fight in shorts and not full tights :eek:

Very!I missed the magic pants :(. Instead he wore Rich Franklins old hometown shorts :pac:. Weird seeing him not come out in a gi top too.
    Besides that being mushed into a cage on the ground instead of being reset to the middle didn't help him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

im surprised he didnt bring out the sotiropolous compression shorts and knee wrap combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Dissapointed with that card. Probably because my three picks in the main fights were wrong :cool:.Moussasi really pissed me off. He was able to get back to his feet in the first round after a Mo takedown but didn't even bother trying after that.

Aoki just doesn't seem to have any sort of standup game. This is MMA not grappling so he needs to get one fast.

When Sheilds mounted Hendo for the umptenth time in the last round I turned it off I was so sickened. Missed the brawl then of course, typical. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Wasn't really impressed with the show or Bravo's coverage at all:

I don't know what Moussasi was thinking, he had some great opportunities standing up and didn't seem bothered to get off his back!He basically threw the fight as far as I can see...

Hendo was terrible off his back, he basically lay there and let shields have his way with him. Not the kind of fight I would have expected from someone at Hendo's level.

As for the Bravo coverage, showing 2 fights in 2 hours, they could have at least shown some undercard fights!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ceauke

Yeah, I agree. Crazy amount of ads on bravo. Must be well worth the money for them.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

As for the Bravo coverage, showing 2 fights in 2 hours, they could have at least shown some undercard fights!

Maybe they didn't have undercard fights to show. They were most probably sent a feed from the states and that was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

its like the american version of cage rage, they let friends and family into the cage, which never ends up well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Thats the last time i watch Shields fight. He gets the mount all good and well, but what does he do with it? Scores points?!!? Not looking to finish the fight, boring as fook.

Supprised Mousassi lost, he didnt seem bothered to win and was gassing at the end of the second

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't have undercard fights to show. They were most probably sent a feed from the states and that was that.

I know, with some of the previous UFC shows, they split them in 2 and showed two 2-hour specials...
    Hopefully they'll do something like this as I didn't see the Aoki fight and would have liked so see some of the undercard fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

A guy called "King Mo" and a brawl at the end of the show. Are we sure Vince McMahon doesnt have a controlling interest in StrikeForce??

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    A guy called "King Mo" and a brawl at the end of the show. Are we sure Vince McMahon doesnt have a controlling interest in StrikeForce??

More like Don King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

It's not as if he's the first guy in MMA to take a moniker - Rampage Jackson anyone? And Peter P, that was his corner in the ring, happens in every promotion.

• Advertisement

Really bad card.... 3 fights of GnP.... or lack of it in the KingMo fight

I think the Mo/Mousassi fight is a prime example of why the scoring system needs to be looked at, how take-downs alone can win you a belt is beyond me, he did nothing from the top, was so tired he couldn't even throw anything.

That's not to say i was surprised, i knew he'd win, but the stats after made me feel as though i was right in my assessment, Mousassi landed a lot more shots in all positions, isn't that what it's all about?....

Why is so much credit given for taking somebody down?... at least GsP holds them there and pounds on them, but Mo wasn't able to do anything bar keep him down, it's like hitting from the bottom is a waste of time :rolleyes:.... sad state when you can win belts by having good takedowns.

The last time i remember two fighters gassing together was in TUF 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Really bad card.... 3 fights of GnP.... or lack of it in the KingMo fight

I think the Mo/Mousassi fight is a prime example of why the scoring system needs to be looked at, how take-downs alone can win you a belt is beyond me, he did nothing from the top, was so tired he couldn't even throw anything.

That's not to say i was surprised, i knew he'd win, but the stats after made me feel as though i was right in my assessment, Mousassi landed a lot more shots in all positions, isn't that what it's all about?....

Why is so much credit given for taking somebody down?... at least GsP holds them there and pounds on them, but Mo wasn't able to do anything bar keep him down, it's like hitting from the bottom is a waste of time :rolleyes:.... sad state when you can win belts by having good takedowns.

The last time i remember two fighters gassing together was in TUF 10.

As Goldberg says, Its all about the "Ock-ta-gonn kun-troll"

As Goldberg says, Its all about the "Ock-ta-gonn kun-troll"

As i said, i knew it would happen but it needs changing, these are fights after all, but holding people in certain positions seems to be more important.

Another good example was Vera/Randy, Vera KILLED him in the stand up, Randy would get him against the cage, throwing feck all shots and still managed to win.

But in the Mo/Mousassi fight apart from the takedowns, Mousassi actually hit him more times, even from the bottom, was some points where he was beating him back and forth with his right hand.... it's a joke really... Mousassi probably would have won anyway if he didn't gas so early himself, but the scoring system needs revaluing.... the stats at the end showed how the fight really went.

I ain't got a problem with GnP, it's giving rounds to someone who just takes somebody down and from there takes more shots and can't even pass..:mad:

Check out the front page:
    http://www.cbs.com/sports/

Hopefully they wont have changed it by the time you all read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

As i said, i knew it would happen but it needs changing, these are fights after all, but holding people in certain positions seems to be more important.

Another good example was Vera/Randy, Vera KILLED him in the stand up, Randy would get him against the cage, throwing feck all shots and still managed to win.

But in the Mo/Mousassi fight apart from the takedowns, Mousassi actually hit him more times, even from the bottom, was some points where he was beating him back and forth with his right hand.... it's a joke really... Mousassi probably would have won anyway if he didn't gas so early himself, but the scoring system needs revaluing.... the stats at the end showed how the fight really went.

I ain't got a problem with GnP, it's giving rounds to someone who just takes somebody down and from there takes more shots and can't even pass..:mad:

He did pass, several times. Mo dictated the fight and was clearly the winner, even under pride rules..

I expected alot better from mousassi tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

awful fights. poor quality. hendo must have had to cut too much weight. he was wrecked after the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Complete snorefest,the best part of the action was the brawl at the end

+1 when you consider he was on a 15 fight win streak, to give a half-assed performance like that just boggles the mind!
    To be honest I don't think it was an issue of gassing, more just not bothering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

To be honest I don't think it was an issue of gassing, more just not bothering.

+1 I expect to see him in the UFC soon

Killme00 wrote: »
    +1 I expect to see him in the UFC soon

I think someone mentioned on thread he'd just signed a 4-fight contract with Strikeforce, so that's what has me really confused...

• Advertisement

He did pass, several times. Mo dictated the fight and was clearly the winner, even under pride rules..

He didn't pass much, maybe 2/3 times... i can't remember him even getting into side control.

I didn't say i didn't think he'd win, i knew under the current structure that take downs and holding someone down was going to be enough.... what i said was i don't agree with it, it wasn't dominant GnP, in fact Mousasi landed more shots from the bottom.

Every factor needs to be taken into account, and just getting somebody down shouldn't be enough... it's meant to be a fight after all, not a wrestling match.

Here are the stats.....
    Mousasi - KingMo
      Total strikes landed/thrown: 177/250 - 93/238
    [LIST=2]Standing arm strikes: 42/66 - 21/59[/LIST]
    [LIST=3]Standing leg strikes: 8/12 - 0/0[/LIST]
    [LIST=4]Ground strikes: 127/172 - 72/179[/LIST]
    [LIST=5]Takedowns: 0/0 - 9/12[/LIST]
    [LIST=6]Submission attempts: 1 - 0[/LIST]
    [LIST=7]Dominant Positions: 1 - 3[/LIST]

So KingMo was out striked nearly 2-1 on the ground, successful GnP would result in that stat reversed in his favour,but he was gassed and spent most of the time resting at Mousasi's feet while Mousasi just punched him back and forth.

GnP is fine, i'm not against it, but i am against the scoring structure that awards the fight to the wrestler who couldnt do much more then complete the takedown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

King Mo should have gotten his arse handed to him as he can do nothing after taking someone down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

He didn't pass much, maybe 2/3 times... i can't remember him even getting into side control.

I didn't say i didn't think he'd win, i knew under the current structure that take downs and holding someone down was going to be enough.... what i said was i don't agree with it, it wasn't dominant GnP, in fact Mousasi landed more shots from the bottom.

Every factor needs to be taken into account, and just getting somebody down shouldn't be enough... it's meant to be a fight after all, not a wrestling match.

Here are the stats.....

So KingMo was out striked nearly 2-1 on the ground, successful GnP would result in that stat reversed in his favour,but he was gassed and spent most of the time resting at Mousasi's feet while Mousasi just punched him back and forth.

GnP is fine, i'm not against it, but i am against the scoring structure that awards the fight to the wrestler who couldnt do much more then complete the takedown

Alot of those strikes were pitter patter ones from moussasi's back. These dont carry a huge amount of value in the context of this fight imo.

Advertisement