Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a bike to commute

• 04-04-2010 11:31pm

Hi guys,

I'm 25, looking to get a bike for commuting to work. I'm interested in max 125cc, I only want a bike to commute as it's quicker. I actually want a vespa (errr fag - yes i know) but it's what I want ! :)

My question is, what's the quickest way of getting one and being able to use it legally as in length of time before applying and riding it?

My commute is only 12k each way. Nothing major. I'm primarily a motorist, full licence.

If I pass the A1 theory test, can I get a 125cc and use it straight away or what else do I need to do?

I really won't ever want a bike above 125cc, it's just for commuting.

Any suggestions? Also, how much will insurance be for me roughly?

Thanks for the help...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Why are you limiting yourself to 125cc?

And the theory test is the same for A and A1, so get your A license in case you ever want more than 125cc in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

. I'm primarily a motorist, full licence.
    Ha and what are you going to be when your on 2 wheels?
    Lol.
    A little vespa be the right job.
    Insurance depends on your location. Wouldnt even hazard a guess to be honest. Ring up and you will know fairly quick. Should not be to bad at your age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would go with the Honda Innova ANF 125i
    It has huge pedigree (direct descendant of Honda 50-70-90)
    Awesome fuel efficiency, reliability and its a Honda.:D
    Seriously if all you want is an A-B commuter machine one would be perfect.
    120-150 MPG is not unusual.

Honestly, the reason I want to limit myself is so I don't get bitten by the bug.

Ok I'll do the A theory test instead.

Then what happens? Can I get a 125 cc bike then and use it legally? Oh and on a 125cc scooter, Do you really need full bike gear? Sorry, that could be a very stupid question...

I'm basically looking to get on the road as quickly as possible within the next 4 weeks I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭slapper2

Honestly, the reason I want to limit myself is so I don't get bitten by the bug.

Ok I'll do the A theory test instead.

Then what happens? Can I get a 125 cc bike then and use it legally? Oh and on a 125cc scooter, Do you really need full bike gear? Sorry, that could be a very stupid question...

I'm basically looking to get on the road as quickly as possible within the next 4 weeks I suppose

for get limiting yourself you safer on a bigger bike
    get a 125 or 250 to learn on then buy something like a deauville a good commuter and some power to get your self out of trouble
    but the main thing is how far are you commuting

• Advertisement

Just 12/13 k each way. Pretty much down the n11 to the quays

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭slapper2

ah right varadero 125 will take that kinda drive
    constant driving a small bike towards the topend aint good for it
    but if your going to do a test get a lend of a bigger bike for it dont sit your test on a 125 cause it will be harder to go up in size if you do it on a 125 you'll be starting from scratch again

So basically, once I apply for my A theory test and pass, I can then get insured to drive a 125cc bike unrestricted legally?

I'm looking at buying a black vespa lx125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

So basically, once I apply for my A theory test and pass, I can then get insured to drive a 125cc bike unrestricted legally?

I'm looking at buying a black vespa lx125

Yeah most 4 stroke 125cc bikes are way under the A permit 33Bhp restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Not being smart or anything, but would you consider cycling? For a 25km commute, it will probably take about the same lenght of time, cost a lot less, no need for a licence or insurance or any legalities. It seems unnecessarily complicated and almost wasteful to get a scooter/motorbike for just that wee short distance. Could you try out the cycling for a week or so first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

fiona-f wrote: »
    Not being smart or anything, but would you consider cycling? For a 25km commute, it will probably take about the same lenght of time, cost a lot less, no need for a licence or insurance or any legalities. It seems unnecessarily complicated and almost wasteful to get a scooter/motorbike for just that wee short distance. Could you try out the cycling for a week or so first?

I do 12km down the n11, in terms of time bike can't compare.

fiona-f wrote: »

You make a good point. I was considering it but in terms of time, I honestly think I'll be far quicker on a scooter.

Fitness isn't a problem as I'm quite fit as it is especially to cycle that distance but jst think a scooter will save me lots more time so I can make it to the gym and football etc after work because that's primariy what this is about anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

yes, once you pass the theory test all you need to do is apply for your provisional, find a bike, get insured and then drive away...

Just be careful with a vespa, make sure you get a good one, if you get a bad one you'll regret it for the rest of the time you have it...

Regarding gear... it's the same tarmac you hit regardless whether you're on a 125 or a 1000cc bike - so technically you should kit your self out just like the rest of us do, although most people that drive scooters don't because it's not cool - so there are other alternatives (jackets that look like casual gear but actually have padding etc.) Just make sure you get a good helmet, spend at least 150 quid on this. Good gloves are essential too - if you break a hand will you be still able to do your job?

As you said you're only going to be riding out of convenience, but you don't want to be dead because of a 12km commute, do research and do as much reading on safe riding as possible.

Keep it between the lines and rubber side down dude!

Thanks for the tips, would insurance for a 25 yr old male from dublin be expensive on a 125? (roughly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi guys,

I'm 25, looking to get a bike for commuting to work. I'm interested in max 125cc, I only want a bike to commute as it's quicker. I actually want a vespa (errr fag - yes i know) but it's what I want ! :)

My question is, what's the quickest way of getting one and being able to use it legally as in length of time before applying and riding it?

My commute is only 12k each way. Nothing major. I'm primarily a motorist, full licence.

If I pass the A1 theory test, can I get a 125cc and use it straight away or what else do I need to do?

I really won't ever want a bike above 125cc, it's just for commuting.

Any suggestions? Also, how much will insurance be for me roughly?

Thanks for the help...

A couple of points:

Although motorcycling can be described in various ways: thrilling, quick, efficient, cheap, convenient ... the thing to hold uppermost in your mind (although there is no reason to be crippled by it) is that it is a hazardous pursuit. Your commute route (12km of N11 to the quays) is about a hazardous a route as they come (although you are assisted by a buslane nigh on all the way in) and you need to hold this fact uppermost in your mind.

1) I'd be looking at a bike that is safest for the route. A Vespa scooter certainly wouldn't be it. You want something for which you can get good tyres, that has good lighting and brakes and which provides better handling than a Vespa can. Indeed, the front fork set up on a Vespa is precisely contra-in-design to that which is conducive to quick stopping. Personally I'd get something a little bigger than a 125 (a 125 can only accelerate as quickly as a car - which limits your options)

2) Bike gear shouldn't be ranked second priority: as someone has pointed out, the ground hurts as much whether falling from a 125 or a thou. Beware false sense of security provided by a jacket/pants with elbow/shoulder/knee armour - whose armour slides around all over the place.

3) Get training. Then get training that concentrates on your commute route. Have the trainer point out the specific pitfalls on your own route at the times you'll typically use it. I did Bray-Finglas through town every day for 6 years or so and lost count of the number of pranged motorcycles and scooters I saw dumped on the side of the road. A mate of mine took up motorcycling doing the same commute (to the canal then up to Rathmines). He'd three scrapes in a single year one of which put his shoulder out. He's figured it isn't worth the potential pitfalls. Granted he'd a horrible bike (a Virago 500 with ancient tyres), no training and Aldi motorcycle gear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I do 12km down the n11, in terms of time bike can't compare.

Likewise, motorbike is much quicker than a bicycle.

And as for your question about wearing gear, I'd recommend wearing full gear.

Road rash really hurts :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

I second everything antiskeptic said above. If you do go for the bike, go for the full A license (you can use a driving sschool bike for the test if necessary) get proper kit and get proper training. Doesn't matter what size/type bike you plan to get. Insurance will dictate that in a lot of cases anyway. If the insurance company offers a discount for passing an assessment, do their assessment. I know Aon do that for example.

25 y/o Dublin address, first time insurance on a bike (car history won't count) will be costly. Try Adelaide, Quinn, Carole Nash and Aon for quotes. Some may not quote first time provisional/permit though. Play them off against eachother.

Final thought, get a decent lock & chain for whatever bike you end up on.

Got a quote today for 260 third party or 460 fully comp on a vespa 50. Considering it. I have a full driving licence prior to 2006 so maybe that has something to do with it. And I only rang Aon also...

They wanted to know a fair bit about my driving for the bike quote, asked me how many points I had and if insurance was in my own name etc.

Got a quote today for 260 third party or 460 fully comp on a vespa 50. Considering it. I have a full driving licence prior to 2006 so maybe that has something to do with it. And I only rang Aon also...

They wanted to know a fair bit about my driving for the bike quote, asked me how many points I had and if insurance was in my own name etc.

260 was what I paid third party as a 21 yr old on a 200cc motorcycle ...in 1985! The times, they've changed.

Best of luck..

1) Stay in the buslane as much as possible and stay well left in the bus lane. Don't stay right and skim past car doors.

2) Driving between lines of stopped traffic is especially lethal - especially near lights, busstops (kids/passengers hopping out), fenderbenders. Watch the fools who whizz between stopped lines of traffic without a care in the world and say to yourself "Learner!". They gain little (you'll inevitably catch up with such fools withing a set of traffic lights or two)

3) Beware especially of Donnybrook: from the bus garage to Leeson St. Bridge. There's loads of junctions and activity.

4) Install a line of programming in your personal software : let the decision to go faster lag behind the confidence "this is easy - I can go faster" by 6 months.

5) If following advice in 4) above, take the time to take note of how many times per week you are glad you took it. Everytime you note such a time - add another month to point 4) above

6) If unsure of a situation - ease off on the speed. Slowness is your only trustworthy friend as a learner - and it'll become a lifelong one if life is in your plans: your swift progress whilst commuting isn't achieved by high over the ground speed (however "exhilarating"). It's achieved by your passing by stopped traffic seamlessly.

Forget the romance and get down to the serious business of survival. Consider what 24km per hour does to a 12km commute and build around that average. By all means increase for the quiet bits (Cabinteely bypass) but go tentitive for the heavy bits (Donnybrook)

260 was what I paid third party as a 21 yr old on a 200cc motorcycle ...in 1985! The times, they've changed.

Best of luck..

1) Stay in the buslane as much as possible and stay well left in the bus lane. Don't stay right and skim past car doors.

2) Driving between lines of stopped traffic is especially lethal - especially near lights, busstops (kids/passengers hopping out), fenderbenders. Watch the fools who whizz between stopped lines of traffic without a care in the world and say to yourself "Learner!". They gain little (you'll inevitably catch up with such fools withing a set of traffic lights or two)

3) Beware especially of Donnybrook: from the bus garage to Leeson St. Bridge. There's loads of junctions and activity.

4) Install a line of programming in your personal software : let the decision to go faster lag behind the confidence "this is easy - I can go faster" by 6 months.

5) If following advice in 4) above, take the time to take note of how many times per week you are glad you took it. Everytime you note such a time - add another month to point 4) above

6) If unsure of a situation - ease off on the speed. Slowness is your only trustworthy friend as a learner - and it'll become a lifelong one if life is in your plans: your swift progress whilst commuting isn't achieved by high over the ground speed (however "exhilarating"). It's achieved by your passing by stopped traffic seamlessly.

Forget the romance and get down to the serious business of survival. Consider what 24km per hour does to a 12km commute and build around that average. By all means increase for the quiet bits (Cabinteely bypass) but go tentitive for the heavy bits (Donnybrook)

I really appreciate your advice, I actually feel as if you're genuinely looking out for me which is very decent of you. I'm a little nervous about the whole thing but your pointers are definitely helping.

I'm not the guy who wants to prove anything to anyone on the road, I mean I'm going to be on the slowest bloody thing known to man in a 50cc scooter and all I want to do is get to work safely :) - this thing will only be used mornings (rush hour) and evenings (rush hour). I have a pretty decent car which unfortunately is absolutely useless to me at rush hour...so I hope motorists don't freak out at me because I'm on a bloody vespa, I'll be out of their way anyway.

I'm actually considering avoiding the N11 entirely and going the lower blackrock road instead, I can get to that from Cabinteely by going down Pottery road, still the same distance 12k commute...what do you think ?

Thanks by the way for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

6) your swift progress whilst commuting isn't achieved by high over the ground speed (however "exhilarating"). It's achieved by your passing by stopped traffic seamlessly.

Bit of a contradiction there.

P.C. wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there.

Not really when you think of it.

Passing by stopped traffic is inevitable as a motorcyclist (whether in buslane/through lanes of it/along the outside)

Passing through lines of stopped cars (by "through" I mean down the middle of lines of stopped traffic) is especially lethal. Which doesn't mean don't do it.

I really appreciate your advice, I actually feel as if you're genuinely looking out for me which is very decent of you. I'm a little nervous about the whole thing but your pointers are definitely helping.

I'm not the guy who wants to prove anything to anyone on the road, I mean I'm going to be on the slowest bloody thing known to man in a 50cc scooter and all I want to do is get to work safely :) - this thing will only be used mornings (rush hour) and evenings (rush hour). I have a pretty decent car which unfortunately is absolutely useless to me at rush hour...so I hope motorists don't freak out at me because I'm on a bloody vespa, I'll be out of their way anyway.

I'm actually considering avoiding the N11 entirely and going the lower blackrock road instead, I can get to that from Cabinteely by going down Pottery road, still the same distance 12k commute...what do you think ?

Go the n11. I picked up a 650cc last year, learned the basics of driving it, did a Aon/Quinn assesment with David Lyons which saved me a fortune this year and covered its costs last year and saved my life a few times. Well worth the 300+ it cost me.

I've been driving the road daily since jan 2009 to either Stephens Green or the IFSC. I have not had a single crash or off. I owe that to advanced rider training I received at the start. Not the crappy driving test I passed last Wednesday.

The N11 is grand to drive. Drive in the buslane(the cops leave you alone). Watch for cars coming into it around junctions, the driveways are far enough away for no surprises. The only scary place is coming up to Donneybrook Bus station heading northside in the morning. There is a U-turn that the school run mommy's take and they like to pull through two lanes of traffic right into the bus lane without looking. Can be a deathtrap if you don't expect it.

You might see me tearing by at some stage. :)

I've no desire to rain on anyones parade, but the consequences of motorcycling are potentially such that I feel compelled to point them out. I feel I've all the miles (and type of miles) it takes to be able to comment on it reasonably objectively.

It's not that motorcycling can't be enjoyed or that one shouldn't consider the practicalities of commuting per bike. But it's no free lunch: what you'll gain in freedom (time saved/enjoyment instead of boredom/park where you like - for free) will cost and constrain you equally elsewhere (having to concentrate after a long day/frights from which you learn - hopefully fast/driving almost blind in the pissing rain/cold seeping in/tension). You might even pay by way of light to very serious injury.

There are few town commuters in cars who end up eating from a straw.

I'm not the guy who wants to prove anything to anyone on the road

Good. An experience motorist of any type has a leap on an 18 year old bike enthusiast who knows nothing.
    I mean I'm going to be on the slowest bloody thing known to man in a 50cc scooter

Bad. There is no bike you wouldn't outrun in rush hour traffic - if your prepared to go for it on a 50cc. I drove a 600cc for 6 years down that route and would regularily get passed out by scooters. Not all the time mind - but mainly at the times when driving slowly was the best thing to be doing.

The main danger is feeling you know more than you actually do. You see, the dangers arise irregularily and relatively infrequently - like ships passing in the night. And so your confidence increases - simply because you aren't facing things to cause confidences to be checked in it's rise. And so you increase speed (it's exhilarating, it's faster - and you'll will sleep itout before an important meeting 3 months into motorcycling). And you get in to work fine that morning. And, tomorrow, next week, next month.

Then one day the ships don't pass. And it's wet. Then you find out how a Vespa stops in the rain on oil-laden buslanes from a mere 40 mph on a seeminly innocuous strip of duel carraigeway. Or how far a bike travels before your hand hits the brake. Or how the car driver that you assume must have seen you doesn't and says as so many have before him: "But I didn't see him.."

Then 20mph will seem as precious as the lotto compared to the 30mph you could otherwise have been doing.

and all I want to do is get to work safely :) - this thing will only be used mornings (rush hour) and evenings (rush hour).

Think of it as walking point duty in Vietnam. Then consider yourself arriving in country to do same. Seek training ... before you start.

[I'm actually considering avoiding the N11 entirely and going the lower blackrock road instead, I can get to that from Cabinteely by going down Pottery road, still the same distance 12k commute...what do you think ?

The N11 is better, probably. From Cabinteely you're dealing with relatively (and I say relatively) benign and consistant dual carraigeway until Donnybrook garage. There are hazards - more as you get nearer town - but in the main things are pretty stable given that you'll be driving in the buslane the whole way in. From Donnybrook to Leeson St you've got a right old mess of hazards. But it's a short enough stretch so a wind down in speed (say to 20mph) as a starting reply will reap reward. Depends on where you want to go after that to the quays.

The coast road strikes me as more hazardous over much more of the way in. Plus it seems to take you out of the way of the quays.

Glad to be of...

You are one very depressing poster.

You are one very depressing poster.

Something brought about by the ongoing stream of smashed up scooter parts that litter the bus lanes along the route in question.

You're welcome to the view that survival should occupy anything but prime position in your thinking when starting out in motorcycling. Concentrate on the "carefreeness" of it all perhaps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Something brought about by the ongoing stream of smashed up scooter parts that litter the bus lanes along the route in question.

You're welcome to the view that survival should occupy anything but prime position in your thinking when starting out in motorcycling. Concentrate on the "carefreeness" of it all perhaps..

There is a lot to be said for the warnings that you portray, but at a certain point in time you should realise that the people you are directing this at are adults (assuming A as opposed to A1 licences) and that overdoing the care this careful that, watchout for the other may have a negative impact on how that person reacts on initially getting onto their bike (if they ever convince themselves to).

What I mean is, fair enough, you have a lot of experience, which predominantly focuses on what can go wrong, but doesn't describe in as much detail how best to achieve success moreso describes how many failures there may be.

I know this is realism, and your point is valid, but you should be careful not to pigeon hole yourself into a "crank" begrudger or equivalent, when learners don't experience all the bad points that you describe (which is quite possible).

People need to cop on to what is right and wrong, sensible or stupid themselves and ask here for guidance on specific aspects as opposed to a carte blanch watch out for XYZ. You can't save everybody, you need to realise that it is better to convince people to be sensible than telling them to avoid all dangers

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Hair Ball

Thanks for the tips, would insurance for a 25 yr old male from dublin be expensive on a 125? (roughly)

If I were you I would buy a big car maybe a Volvo ,if you check out the stats
    The changes are you won't see twenty six ,you will be road kill I'm sorry-ish
    To say :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hair Ball wrote: »
    If I were you I would buy a big car maybe a Volvo ,if you check out the stats
    The changes are you won't see twenty six ,you will be road kill I'm sorry-ish
    To say :cool:

good one. sigh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i've couriered in two countries worked as a bike mechanic sold bikes for a living and ridden at least half a million miles

sure people should be careful but if its not fun:

you're doing it wrong

Advertisement