Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a bike to commute

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Listen if you want vespa advice head over to the Vespa Club of Ireland, go for a px125 if you can and dont bother with a 50cc.

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Listen if you want vespa advice head over to the Vespa Club of Ireland, go for a px125 if you can and dont bother with a 50cc.

Where can I buy a Vespa LX 50 in dublin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/65/56561265.html

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1221835

Bit on the slow side for me. Would much prefer a 125, even for that extra bit of weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/65/56561265.html

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1221835

Bit on the slow side for me. Would much prefer a 125, even for that extra bit of weight.

place has a bad rep. I wouldn't be spending me dosh there - used to be motormax in churchtown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

BikeWorld on the Longmile road in Dublin sell new Vespas and LMLs. Though you will get a much cheaper new Vespa from www.Southsidescooters.com in Waterford (even including delivery to Dublin.)

Seriously go for a 125cc, if you drive a 50cc you will get passed by traffic at 30mph and always forced to the curb side which is more dangerous. A 125 will let you drive more safely in the middle of the lane in the "ommand position", and also gives you enough torque to pull away from the lights and get up the gears and ahead of traffic, much more sensible. Best advice I was ever given when I started to drive scooters. Just get you A licence and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

BikeWorld on the Longmile road in Dublin sell new Vespas and LMLs. Though you will get a much cheaper new Vespa from www.Southsidescooters.com in Waterford (even including delivery to Dublin.)

Seriously go for a 125cc, if you drive a 50cc you will get passed by traffic at 30mph and always forced to the curb side which is more dangerous. A 125 will let you drive more safely in the middle of the lane in the "ommand position", and also gives you enough torque to pull away from the lights and get up the gears and ahead of traffic, much more sensible. Best advice I was ever given when I started to drive scooters. Just get you A licence and be done with it.

+1

You'll get bored of a 50cc very quickly. Had one when I was 16 and entertained myself by seeing how long I could keep it on one wheel for :pac:

You're right, it's what I'm going to do. I spoke about with a mate last night and he said the same. Not that I didn't believe you, but I just get over enthusiastic about things and want it now now now. I'll take your advice on board and get it sorted.

Anyone know where I can buy the bike theory test CD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

As far as I know it's just the regular theory CD - it covers all the theory tests - there are the main questions that everyone has to know, and it also has sections for motorbike specific questions.
    Hair Ball wrote: »
    If I were you I would buy a big car maybe a Volvo ,if you check out the stats
    The changes are you won't see twenty six ,you will be road kill I'm sorry-ish
    To say :cool:

Why does someone feel the need to come into the motorbike forum and post crap like this? You might need a refresher on your Statistics PhD as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

once you pass the theory test and get your licence / insurance then you're good to go. I probably wouldn't bother with the A1 licence - as you WILL get bitten and will want to move up in size eventually. Get the A and you're sorted (although I think you would have to do your test on bike greater than 125cc ). I'd recommend a couple of hours rider training - they'll give you an assessment (ask for the axa one) and you can use it to get a large discount from the insurance company - mine worked out a €250 discount (quinn direct). When thinking about gear ask yourself what will happen to you body hitting tarmac at 50Kph + then go from there. I started out on a 125 burgeman, got good jacket with padding, good helmet, padded pants, gloves and a back protector. Put it to good use one day on a mucky road surface. Recently updated my gloves to armour plated fingers and knuckles as was unlucky enough to end up beside a biker in casualty recently (mine was non-bike related). His knuckles and fingers looked looked like raw chicken fillets - no skin whatsoever on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Tigger wrote: »
    i've couriered in two countries worked as a bike mechanic sold bikes for a living and ridden at least half a million miles. sure people should be careful but if its not fun:

you're doing it wrong

I've couriered in one country, worked a a bike mechanic, and ridden at least a 1/4 of a million miles .. which hasn't a whole to do with what I'm talking about :)

Getting good quality bike gear, a suitable-for-use bike and specific-to-use training has nothing to do with the fun that can be had motorcycling (although it arguably has something to do with ensuring you have sustainable fun motorcycling).

The OP can do as many of us did - rely on our luck/youthful ignorance & fearlessness. But given the potential consequences - especially for a green user taking on one of the more challenging aspects of motorcycling, in a traffic-era far removed from the one you or I learned in - it might be better to do it otherwise. A modern day approach to modern day riding in other words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've couriered in one country, worked a a bike mechanic, and ridden at least a 1/4 of a million miles .. which hasn't a whole to do with what I'm talking about :)
    :
    :
    :
    :
    A modern day approach to modern day riding in other words.

Well, I'm still learning and have no problem stating that fact, even though I have passed my DOE test and two RoSPA tests, and a couple of BikeSafe's for good measure and I think that your valued comments are skewed somewhat.

Reality should be that one never stops learning - changing conditions and adapting to those changes is what keeps us alive - not specifics for the easiest/simplest/closest match at the specific point in time at which we begin the journey.

I mean, I started out biking much more recently than you, so you have a wealth of experience more than me, however, I began to learn in the middle of this new "traffic era" as you put it, so why should my attitude deemed carefree in terms of your sensibleness?

I would be much happier for anyone starting out motorcycling (or driving for that matter) to apply the rigors of learning how to tackle traffic properly in general, as opposed to learning how to survive the commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

nereid wrote: »
    I mean, I started out biking much more recently than you, so you have a wealth of experience more than me, however, I began to learn in the middle of this new "traffic era" as you put it, so why should my attitude deemed carefree in terms of your sensibleness?

It's wasn't your attitude I was commenting on (which would be more in line with an attitude I'd applaud). It was the attitude of those who appear to baulk at my underscoring the risks associated with learner commuting that drew comment.

I would be much happier for anyone starting out motorcycling (or driving for that matter) to apply the rigors of learning how to tackle traffic properly in general, as opposed to learning how to survive the commute.

Indeed. And now that the essential nature of training has been highlighted by both you and me, perhaps you'd agree with my earlier comment that such training might also encompass some route-specific attention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I apologise if it came across wrong, but yes I agree with your comments above.

As regards route specific training, I would find it a good idea in combination with training in general. I am a big fan of "continuous" assessment (a la RoSPA ~ every 3 years) and I am also of the opinion that one should be able to pass one's test at any test centre as opposed to picking one with an easy route.

However, yes, I agree, training on a route is a good idea to highlight potential issues to people when starting out, particularly because that route will be practiced sufficiently to learn from.

Hey lads, does anyone know where I can get some bike training lessons on a 125cc scooter? Twist and go variety...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I've used Austin McDowell Bike School - found him pretty good. Patient and will explain everything to you. His number is 087 267 9194.

Advertisement