Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build -Need YOUR advise

Options
  • 04-04-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I've been ducking in and out of here for a few weeks now and have just put together a computer. If you could take a minute or two to give me your thoughts on the build I would be much obliged!!!

What I need this computer for:
    1) Image/video editing
    2) Dvd/movies/media
    3) Games

I'm unsure of what graphics card to go for to be honest. I have it down to the Radeon HD 5770 1GB & GeForce 9800GTX 512mb but if you have better suggestions for <€200/230 I'm all ears!! Or if I could justify spending more..?

Here's the new build

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Looks good but you need 6gb of ram for a 1366 system and swap the Samsung F2 for a Samsung Spinpoint F3. The HX version of the psu you picked is modular so you get a neater case with better airflow :)

The 5770 is a good card but if you have the budget for a 5850 you should go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Brilliant thanks for taking the time to look it over!! Shall have a look into those drives and on the ram, I'm actually getting 3 of those, so 12Gb. Good call on the PSU, something I wouldn't have picked up on.

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Looks grand,except get a triple cahnnel ram kit,not dual like you have selected.

As far as graphics cards to, NVidia's CUDA will be a help to you by being able to use so called 'CUDA Cores' to use the GPU to encode. (Only works on certain programs)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=580635

MSI's Twin FROZR GTS250 is a great card for the job. They are cheap enough to add a second one in too , if you want the gaming performance

If your going to get the HAF, I would say to get an extra 120mm fan to mount on the bottom of the case, with my 922 (smaller brother of the 932) it helps the GPU temps alot. If you need more cooling then you can always put some fans in the side panel which will take up to 4x120mm fans.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=489858

The Akasa Apache is a good fan without being too loud.I'd go with that. Ryan from Komplett actually has these in his Corsair 800D case, I'm sure he will be able to tell you more (he is a regular of these forums)

I cant comment on the Apache from personal experience unforunatly, but anything ive read on them is great. (Nexus + Noctua provide the cooling in my rig)

Super stuff, thanks for taking the time Dean!!

I've spend a bit more time researching and this is the build now. Everything is in there bar a CPU cooler, I think that's good to go but if anybody has any modifications/suggestions I'd love to hear them!!

Any suggestions for a CPU cooler ~€35. Much benefit of forking out for the €45/55 fans?

Thanks a bunch!!

The Scythe Mugen II is a good cooler, cheap too

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=575732

Now, about your build above, I'd recommend only going for 6GB of ram, 12GB of ram isnt needed by most people. I'd still say go for the GTS250 over the 5770 because of CUDA and the fact that the 5xxx series are still WAY over priced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

kjt wrote: »
    Super stuff, thanks for taking the time Dean!!

I've spend a bit more time researching and this is the build now. Everything is in there bar a CPU cooler, I think that's good to go but if anybody has any modifications/suggestions I'd love to hear them!!

Any suggestions for a CPU cooler ~€35. Much benefit of forking out for the €45/55 fans?

Thanks a bunch!!

As Deano mention you not only dont need anything more than 6gb or ram and using 12gb might stop you using an after-market cpu cooler due to space constraints if you wish to overclock.

You have 2 Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5 TB 32MB 5400RPM SATA-300 drive listed which apart from being stupidly expensive are utter rubbish. If you need storage space get 2 1TB Spinpoint F3's which are the fastest non SSD drive going, quite and very cheep :)

Both the Akasa fans and mounting unit are not needed as the 932 has amazing airflow and cooling and built in HD bays so the Akasa mount might not fit so check the CM forums for info there.

You choice of cpu cooler depends if you want to overclock or not but a i7 920 overclocks like a dream so you should get to at least 3.8mhz with ease :) If you are going to OC then investing in a good cooler is worth the money and a fanir or megahelms is the way to go.

Venom wrote: »

You have 2 Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5 TB 32MB 5400RPM SATA-300 drive listed which apart from being stupidly expensive are utter rubbish. If you need storage space get 2 1TB Spinpoint F3's which are the fastest non SSD drive going, quite and very cheep :)

Both the Akasa fans and mounting unit are not needed as the 932 has amazing airflow and cooling and built in HD bays so the Akasa mount might not fit so check the CM forums for info there.

You choice of cpu cooler depends if you want to overclock or not but a i7 920 overclocks like a dream so you should get to at least 3.8mhz with ease :) If you are going to OC then investing in a good cooler is worth the money and a fanir or megahelms is the way to go.

The Mugen II will get an i7 to 4GHz :)

I do forget the 932 has bigger fans (all round) than the 922 so your are probably right about that, I think the mounting tray is for the SSD though.

Komplett dont seem to carry the 1TB F3's any more (they seem to be OOS), if the OP needs more storage, I think WD Blacks would be a good substiute

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Erm... the 932 has larger fan frames than the 922 but the impellers are the same diameter... IIRC the ones on the 932 are faster.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Erm... the 932 has larger fan frames than the 922 but the impellers are the same diameter... IIRC the ones on the 932 are faster.

So they are, now thats an interesting fact :D

It does have a bigger fan on the back though (140mm on the 932, 120mm on the 922)

Thanks for all the time lads, muchó appreciated!!

I would like to OC but nothing crazy, maybe up to 3.2/3.4. Having a look around I thnk the Prolimatech Megahalems or Thermalright Ultra-120 would do the trick + a 120mm fan. The Mega seems to be slightly ahead from reviews...

Re the Hd's, for some reason I read them as being F3's - my bad! I'll be getting two F3 1tb drives instead of those, I want to keep them in the list to give me an estimate on my total cost.

I've also changed the ram to Corsair and left it at 6gb.

Thanks again for all the advice and help!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the time lads, muchó appreciated!!

I would like to OC but nothing crazy, maybe up to 3.2/3.4. Having a look around I thnk the Prolimatech Megahalems or Thermalright Ultra-120 would do the trick + a 120mm fan. The Mega seems to be slightly ahead from reviews...

Re the Hd's, for some reason I read them as being F3's - my bad! I'll be getting two F3 1tb drives instead of those, I want to keep them in the list to give me an estimate on my total cost.

I've also changed the ram to Corsair and left it at 6gb.

Thanks again for all the advice and help!!

Trust me, keep the Mugen II I suggested above, for a mild overclock it will do the trick, and it comes with a fan :) Plus its about half the price of the TRUE 120

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Trust me, keep the Mugen II I suggested above, for a mild overclock it will do the trick, and it comes with a fan :) Plus its about half the price of the TRUE 120

Pricing them there's only a £6 difference Mugen 2 & Megahalem... although there's no fan with the mega...

Pricing them there's only a £6 difference Mugen 2 & Megahalem... although there's no fan with the mega...

Overclockers.co.uk have a bad reputation before, I dont know if that has changed recently. Just to let you know before you deal with them.

Cheers Dean, I bought my first build over 10years ago from overclockers.co.uk - The guys I mentioned above are overclocker.co.uk, Was it overclocker or overclockers you heard about? (just to clarify)

Cheers Dean, I bought my first build over 10years ago from overclockers.co.uk - The guys I mentioned above are overclocker.co.uk, Was it overclocker or overclockers you heard about? (just to clarify)

Overclockers, my bad. Ive heard nothing about overclocker.co.uk though

Thanks for all the help Dean, really appreciated.
    Ordered that badboy!

Advertisement