Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hop up/ Tightbore on Sniper Rifles- necessary?

Options
  • 04-04-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I have a JG BAR 10 and Well L96.
    I am looking to purchase a tightbore barrel for them and I'm also wondering if a new hopup unit i really necessary?

So the questions im asking are:

Tightbore:
    That tightbore (with rifling on the inside) legnth and diameter would best suit a Well L96?

Hopup:
    Ok. Anyone who owns a Well L96 will know that the hopup on it is not the most easy to reach thing in the world- especially in the field, so I am wondering why bother?

With regards to the BAR 10, the hopup is much more practical for on the spot adjustments, so if needed, i would get the hopup unit for that. Which is the best unit to get for that?

A little help regerding prices of the pieces would also be appreciated.
    Preference is retailers close to home (Dublin) but im ok with sites that ship their stock.

Cheers,

Price

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

Well first off, there is no rifling in an airsoft barrel. The only spin on a BB is backwards spin from the hop up. JG BAR 10s can be easily upgraded using TM parts if you know what youre doing. I might recommend that you buy reinforced sears for the BAR 10 as I have run into trouble with the stock sears myself. And even if you have the best upgrades available in it, it's not worth the box it comes in if it has worn down sears. :(

But definitely a TM Hop up and barrel. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

MonkeyGuy wrote: »
    Well first off, there is no rifling in an airsoft barrel. The only spin on a BB is backwards spin from the hop up. JG BAR 10s can be easily upgraded using TM parts if you know what youre doing. I might recommend that you buy reinforced sears for the BAR 10 as I have run into trouble with the stock sears myself. And even if you have the best upgrades available in it, it's not worth the box it comes in if it has worn down sears. :(

You can get a Tanio Koba twist barrel for AEGs and I think some spring rifles, some people call it riffling

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CaptainPrice

MonkeyGuy wrote: »

Ok. Sears for the BAR 10, along with hopup unit and barrel. Gotcha
    But what length is advisable for the barrel, and what diameter (eg. 6.03)
    I think some actually do come with rifiling in them as i was in a game yesterday and this absolute legend on our team showed me the barrel off his M4 and there was the twisting stuff in it.
    What can i expect from the new hopup unit? Will bbs still fly upward, or will i see an increase in range?

And do you have any advice on upgrading my Well L96?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CaptainPrice

Ah yeah thats it, a "twist Barrel"
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

DeBurca wrote: »
    You can get a Tanio Koba twist barrel for AEGs and I think some spring rifles, some people call it riffling

Oh I getcha. It's those ones where it doesn't impart spin, it apparently created an air pocket between the BB and the internal barrel making it more accurate as it doesnt actually make contact with the barrel. I've heard some debate about them though...

And to answer Prices question, barrels are like many other things in life, the tighter, the better, so long as it's not too small that the... BB can't fit. :D If you get a very tight barrel, be careful what BBs you use. Eg. Don't get a 6.03 barrel and use 6mm BBs with a +/- of 0.05mm. I would advise a 6.03 barrel but like I said, be careful with what BBs you use. Only use high quality ones with the smallest variable possible.

As regards the L96, I have no clue. :confused: Personally, I would concentrate on upgrading one airsoft gun at a time. If you'd rather upgrade th L96 and nobody's posting advice here, have a look through some old adverts for upgraded L96s. I remember seeing one upgraded to the max not so long ago but I can't find it now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭RampantWolf

Try here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63113547

Tactical and Firekitten were discussing the merits of various upgrades for a Maruzen Type96, might find something of use in that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alan_murray

the WELL L96 is a good one i'd put a tightbore barrel on it but the hop up is fine it comes with the hop up perfectly designed for the rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

the WELL L96 is a good one i'd put a tightbore barrel on it but the hop up is fine it comes with the hop up perfectly designed for the rifle

Nice necro, this thread is like 7 months old. And the hop up chamber on the Well L96's is down right awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I like my Twist barrels....extremely accurate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

to necroclarify....

Tanoi koba barrels spin air around the bb, this creates stability that a tightbore alone cant, however, some tightbores (regular tightbores) are better at higher fps, its a personal experience thing really, I like TK barrels.

Is it a necessary idea to swap the hopunit and barrel? I say yes. Consistency, and performance alone dictate you replace them together. Awkward to reach in the field? my maruzen 96 has the same hopup 'access' as the well, and tbh, its no hastle. Once its set, by weight, I leave it alone. I get the trajectory I want, set it, leave it, zero my scope to my chosen point, and use it. I adapt with the trajectory, which is my preferred method for consistency. changing the hopup repeatedly can wear it, and throws off your knowlage of the trajectory, and sight zero.

Practice, Practice, Practice, and investment in the right upgrades. makes a sniper rifle, and you, hit targets consistently. Its a two way street, For accuracy's sake, yes, the hop and barrel are vital, both? yes. Not much else to say on it really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement