Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickens???

Options
  • 04-04-2010 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Im just finnishing building a chichen coop/run in my parents back garden as they want to get a few chickens.

Now they have a springer spaniel in a run in the garden also but its in bad condition and in a bad place so looks crap. They want me to build a new run for the springer next to the chichen coop/run to keep everything in the same area of the garden. I would be leaving about 1 meter between the coop & dog run so my parents can walk in between both runs.

Im not concerned about the dog getting at the chickens or anything like that but was thinking it might freek out the chickens. I read somewhere that if chickens are not happy they wont lay eggs and my parents want them to lay obviously.

Do you think its ok for the dog to be so close to the chickens??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

It all depends on how the dog is around chickens really. If it was me I would at least not have the chickens in the dogs view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My chicken are used to dogs but the dogs to not upset them. I would suggest that you put a barrier which prevents the dog from seeing the chicken and vice versa until they are used to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They do like to chase chickens, ok someone might disagree, but their bouncy nature means the chickens would get no peace.

Ensure the chicken run hasn't just got cheap chicken wire on it and that it's strong. Put a visual barrier between them, the less strees the chickens have the better.

There's a few people that rescue battery hens (they still lay well) could be an option.

Advertisement