Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet adhesive?

• 05-04-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I'm sure i know the answer, but i'll ask anyway. How do i remove carpet adhesive from a timber stairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

you could use thinners but this could take an age to break down the glue.best just get a decent sander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Should have said, theres a load of foam carpet backing stuck to it, you know the way it seperates when the carpet is being removed.

Sanding wont do it but regular application of thinners might just do it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lidl occasionally sell a universal thinners which is a mix of xylene, acetone and I think one other I forget.

Very, very useful stuff to have on hand.

(Please, no one try and tell me how nasty xylene is.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

How about a sharp blade, elbow grease and then a belt sander?

Where can you buy elbow grease!

• Advertisement

Here's some for you

Vintage+Sister+Elbow+Grease+6.jpg

But Seriously, its just an expression for Hard Bloody Work

Hard work, no thanks. Its for a friend of mine and I was looking for the least labour intensive option as i'll most likely end up doing the job. For nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

nice one fingers you just brightened my day

skingtile, thanks for the input. obviously the subtle humour in my post re elbow grease went over your head.

do you know anything about carpet adhesive?

wexfjord wrote: »
    Hard work, no thanks. Its for a friend of mine and I was looking for the least labour intensive option as i'll most likely end up doing the job. For nothing.

Maybe a belt sander with a helluva lot of rough abrasive sheets?

• Advertisement

Thanks Fingers. That looks to be the only option. I hoped the answer would lie in chemistry rather than physics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

no offense meant to op, just complimenting Fingers on his wit and a picture that i have never seen before.like to think not much goes over my head at this stage. the answer lies in chemistry, physics and the tin. you never stated the reason for removal hence what degree of perfection is required. recarpeting one degree, painting another, varnish and stain another. the more specific a post is the better the answer.

www.bathroombliss.info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

A good sharp blade to get the heavy stuff off, thinners and lots of elbow grease for the next stage and then a mighty good sanding for the final stage before applying any kind off finish e.g. varnish or paint. Thats what I would do for it

skingtile wrote: »
    no offense meant to op, just complimenting Fingers on his wit and a picture that i have never seen before.like to think not much goes over my head at this stage. the answer lies in chemistry, physics and the tin. you never stated the reason for removal hence what degree of perfection is required. recarpeting one degree, painting another, varnish and stain another. the more specific a post is the better the answer.

www.bathroombliss.info

touche!:rolleyes:

A good sharp blade to get the heavy stuff off, thinners and lots of elbow grease for the next stage and then a mighty good sanding for the final stage before applying any kind off finish e.g. varnish or paint. Thats what I would do for it

I'm trying to think of what will break down adhesive other than thinners... You can break down the adhesive and scrape it away but it'll most likely turn the stuff thats stuck into a sticky gloop.

Whatever way you tackle this, it'll be a bloody pig of a job. Best of luck OP.

Edit, check out this blog, might help

Advertisement