Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start "beginner"

Options
  • 05-04-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I want to create my own web applications where would I start in terms of
    software. Complete beginner.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Trivarion

Want do you know so far?
    Visit http://w3schools.com/ for a start to learning languages. Begin with HTML and PHP. Then Javascript, SQL and JQuery.
    For a PHP development IDE try Netbeans.
    To start testing stuff I recommend installing WAMP (Apache server with a MySQL database) under Windows. There's a guide here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭copz

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

or you could use .Net or Java

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr_Wilson

I´m in a similar position..I.m looking to get into web development and am not sure where to start, I studied programming in college, mostly java but also a bit of php. That was 6 yrs ago though and I´ve forgotten a lot of it.

Which language would people recommend starting off with?? From what I´ve read php is the easiest and a lot of people recommend starting with this.

From a career perspective which language is the best to know if you were looking to work in web development??

What books or online material would you recommend studying??
    Any other tips for someone starting out??

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Iv only recently started studying myself and from what i gathered people tend to suggest starting off with HTML and CSS. They seem to me anyways to be the easiest places to start. And as far as im aware you can integrate PHP with your HTML sites when the time comes.

Oh and www.tizag.com is a great place to start. It was suggested to me by another boardsie and its one of the best sites iv visited for learning. Start with HTML and then move onto CSS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mr_Wilson wrote: »
    I´m in a similar position..I.m looking to get into web development and am not sure where to start, I studied programming in college, mostly java but also a bit of php. That was 6 yrs ago though and I´ve forgotten a lot of it.

Which language would people recommend starting off with?? From what I´ve read php is the easiest and a lot of people recommend starting with this.

From a career perspective which language is the best to know if you were looking to work in web development??

What books or online material would you recommend studying??
    Any other tips for someone starting out??

PHP & MySQL tbh. Easy to implement and powerful.

If rapid web development is your thing, you might take a look at Ruby on Rails. It's a really good web framework from what I've seen. Allows you to build dynamic driven sites very quickly with scaffolding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

In terms of software you need a webserver, if you're on windows WAMP server will be a good start (google it) or you could use windows own web server IIS.

Basically the way the web works is there is a server and a client, the client is your web browser, the server is where the website or web app files *live*. When you go to a webpage, your browser asks the server (a request) for those files, the server transfers those files to your browser (a response) which displays them to you. That's basically how the www works, although in practice it is a bit more complicated.

For an absolute beginner I would recommend learning HTML & CSS to begin with so you can put something half decent on the screen, which you'll find very satisfying.

Then learn HTML form processing,http://www.w3schools.com is a good place to start, and the different HTTP methods that are supported by HTML forms. Pay particular attention to POST and GET. This teaches you how to submit a form, which is the corner stone of web development. This allows you to submit data to a webserver, the webserver can do stuff with that data, and then return an appropriate response.

Take Google for example, you enter a search term and submit that term to Google, who then finds appropriate web sites for your search term and returns a list of those sites.

Once you know how to submit form data from the client look at a web development language like php, once again http://www.w3chools.com will help you with those first steps.

If you want to do this as anything that will actually earn you a living you'll need to invest is some formal education. But cover what I've listed here and you'll have a good idea if you actually want to pursue this as a career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Sirpineapple

I find the ineasysteps books are good. I bought a few of them on sale the other day.

Advertisement