Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dread and anger

Options
  • 05-04-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

does anyone else get an overwhelming sense of dread and anger when you are in sligo town , i find it totally depressing and have tried to avoid going to town for the last year. I would be interested to hear if you have had a similar reaction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

No.

Don't find it much different than any other town to be honest. Doesn't have the same "buzz" about it as say Galway or Dublin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I don't get into Sligo much these days because of college but I feel that since they re-opened O'Connell street to traffic its had a negative effect, the single lane traffic with the islands in the road just feel constrictive and grey, and obviously you don't have the same freedom to wander over and back, I think that was a very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

i agree, another step in the wrong direction ,was starting to improve,ie. cafe culture ect. dont think sligo ready for 21st centuary, mindset still in 19th centuary unfortunately.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

As long as some of the bigshots/busines"people" keep hindering the development of Sligo the town will be screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

i agree, another step in the wrong direction ,was starting to improve,ie. cafe culture ect. dont think sligo ready for 21st centuary, mindset still in 19th centuary unfortunately.:(

In so many ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

SO TRUE -SO TRUE :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

does anyone else get an overwhelming sense of dread and anger when you are in sligo town , i find it totally depressing and have tried to avoid going to town for the last year. I would be interested to hear if you have had a similar reaction

Er No!!!

if you are having that kind of reaction to undertake a pretty straightforward and mundane task then you may need to be on some sort of medication.

"dread and anger" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

CSC wrote: »
    No.

Don't find it much different than any other town to be honest. Doesn't have the same "buzz" about it as say Galway or Dublin though.

Well Sligo is a small town is comparison to the large cities of Dublin and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Right guys,

To everyone here stating Sligo is depressing and that business people are hindering the development of the town etc, well go do something about it. Dont just sit there and post on the internet, thats not gonna achieve anything. Get onto your coucillors, get invovled in community groups. If you dont like the ways things are being run, do something about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Right guys,

To everyone here stating Sligo is depressing and that business people are hindering the development of the town etc, well go do something about it. Dont just sit there and post on the internet, thats not gonna achieve anything. Get onto your coucillors, get invovled in community groups. If you dont like the ways things are being run, do something about it

Either that, or move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Right guys,

just in case you have not looked at any of the local papers in the last few years,the local councillors and the
    "business people" are all in the one circle!

bonzos wrote: »
    just in case you have not looked at any of the local papers in the last few years,the local councillors and the
    "business people" are all in the one circle!

Ya well as long as you keep posting stuff on the internet im sure it'll change. Stop complaining and do something about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well I got on to my local councillor about an issue in Ballymote. Reminded him that he had mad promises when he was knocking on my door during the elections.

I assumed he would fob me off with more promises. Last night I saw him driving through the town and 10 mins later he landed to my door to tell me that the issue should be solved this week.

Point is, push them and they sometimes do what you ask.

On topic, when the weather is nice on a day like today I love to wander through Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Are people afraid of change in sligo? It happens everywhere so why not there. When i was living in Malta i read an article on the sligo weekender online that the adelaide bar and the surrounding car park was to be demolished and replaced with a new state of the art car park which would servive the new shopping centre (which at that point was still under construction). Great idea in principal as it connected o'connell st and there was no traffic going through the street. A few years later, the shopping centre is there, surrounded by a hopeless car park and o'connell st is once again re-opened to traffic. It baffles belief.

Slidey wrote: »
    Well I got on to my local councillor about an issue in Ballymote. Reminded him that he had mad promises when he was knocking on my door during the elections.

I assumed he would fob me off with more promises. Last night I saw him driving through the town and 10 mins later he landed to my door to tell me that the issue should be solved this week.

Point is, push them and they sometimes do what you ask.

On topic, when the weather is nice on a day like today I love to wander through Sligo town.

Thats exactly how it should be done Slidey. Ya have to be persistent. Believe it or not these people are busy and if someone comes up to them saying "any chance ya could look into this when ya get a chance" they may forget it/not care about it. However if someone comes up to them and reminds them of their job and promises in a assertive way they will more than likely take action. Its not always easy approaching people to get work done but its the way its done

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

Thats exactly how it should be done Slidey. Ya have to be persistent. Believe it or not these people are busy and if someone comes up to them saying "any chance ya could look into this when ya get a chance" they may forget it/not care about it. However if someone comes up to them and reminds them of their job and promises in a assertive way they will more than likely take action. Its not always easy approaching people to get work done but its the way its done
    Isn't there something wrong with this, though? Why should we have to chase some local councillor to get something done which s/he promised to do in the heat of an election? Don't they have paper and pen to write down the things they promise, or do they try and keep it all in their heads? Seriously, that's how it should be done?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

You should get help from somebody more qualified than strangers on an internet forum. This sounds more like depression to me but then again I'm an unqualified stranger on an internet forum...:rolleyes:
    Well Sligo is a small town is comparison to the large cities of Dublin and Galway.

Galway? A large city? LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

high horse wrote: »
    You should get help from somebody more qualified than strangers on an internet forum. This sounds more like depression to me but then again I'm an unqualified stranger on an internet forum...:rolleyes:

Just because someone doesn't like Sligo it doesn't make them depressed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Town was lovely today especially with the stalls set up on Rockwood Parade, they are all there until Sunday.
    There was a great atmosphere around the area and it helped with the sun shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

genie wrote: »
    Just because someone doesn't like Sligo it doesn't make them depressed. :rolleyes:

Of course it doesn't but an "overwhelming sense of dread and anger" when entering a harmless town like Sligo is not a healthy mental state to be in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Town was lovely today especially with the stalls set up on Rockwood Parade, they are all there until Sunday.
    There was a great atmosphere around the area and it helped with the sun shining.

+1

I was in town today too and felt there was a good buzz around the place, the weather definitely helped. I bought a nutella and marshmallow crepe from one of the stalls, man it was sweet!:D

The.Q wrote: »
    Isn't there something wrong with this, though? Why should we have to chase some local councillor to get something done which s/he promised to do in the heat of an election? Don't they have paper and pen to write down the things they promise, or do they try and keep it all in their heads? Seriously, that's how it should be done?:confused:

Yes there is something wrong with this. I was mainly talking about reminding a councillor that they said they would work hard etc. Its goes without saying that if they promised on a particular issue it should be completed and they shouldn’t have to be chased. In a perfect world everything would be done right but unfortunately we dont live in a perfect world

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pagan ruins will do that to anyone sensitive.

I dislike Sligo intensely and always put it down to Carrowmore etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Graces7 wrote: »

Sensitive to what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Graces7 wrote: »

Oh FFS.

Such a crock. :faceplam:

Slidey wrote: »
    Oh FFS.

Such a crock. :faceplam:

That's nice. :rolleyes:

Good to see such tolerance of people's views and beliefs on here. :rolleyes:

That's nice. :rolleyes:

Good to see such tolerance of people's views and beliefs on here. :rolleyes:

Perhaps he's a pagan? You might experience a similar reaction if someone were to express comparable revulsion to your chosen place of worship!

Kepti wrote: »
    Perhaps he's a pagan? You might experience a similar reaction if someone were to express comparable revulsion to your chosen place of worship!

I took Slidey's response to mean that he is definitely not a Pagan.

Going very much off topic now. Back to whether Sligo brings out an "overwhelming sense of dread and anger" in us all or not. :)

I took his response to mean that he is definitely not a Pagan.

Well in that case he won't object to my proposal to bulldoze the tombs to erase both their physical presence, and their dark history from our proud county. Graces7 cannot be alone in her suffering. I estimate that tens of thousands of others share her vague feelings of intense dislike for these malevolent stone monstrosities. Removing this ugly barrier will prove a huge boon to tourism in the area.

Vote Kepti.

• Advertisement

As I was saying, going very much off topic now. Back to whether Sligo brings out an "overwhelming sense of dread and anger" in us all or not. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement