Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing Fire Preformers

• 05-04-2010 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

I'm shooting a friend of mine who is a fire performer and i was wondering what speed and aperture is good for photographing fire?
    It's new to me but i've seen some beautiful photographs of it and was wondering if anyone who has done it before could give me some tips!

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I had some fun taking fire shots in Thailand a while back. I only had my compact on me but anything around 2/3 seconds worked well for me. The performers were doing a lot of spinning so the pictures had a cool, fire trail effect in them. It took a lot of trial and error but I managed to get some nice shots. Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Lolnouska

Thanks a mill for the help guys, feeling less stressed about it now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

this sort of stuff is easy put the camera on a rock and let it off

195F8A8DC76443A58E7B584433D32777-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Depending on exposure and what you want, it can be easy or complex.

Here's some I took recently.

4457107812_4a36f15321.jpg

4457107670_a8c37c16e8.jpg

Exif available on Flickr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cantaloupe

Was at a house party a few months ago and happened to have my camera with me and got a few shots, nothing too spectacular but exif on Flickr..

4085346923_15f3f7dc86.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Tried this once. I'd say setup the tripod and alter the shutter speed until you get the length of "sweep" of the fire you want. Then change the aperture to change how "filled out" the fire is... a smaller aperture will give you more detail in the flame.

3352145429_ab9b8cc163.jpg

3352145609_7b28ea565b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Oh and use flash if you want to capture a still of the performer in the photo ... i never thought of that at the time! ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Xandra

If you like a slow capture technic like those of foto joe, you can try it at home by using a torch instead of a real fire.

Ask someone to move the torch around while you tried to capture the light from the torch. You can even do it alone by putting camera on tripod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Lolnouska

thanks for all the help!
    really appreciate it!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement