Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore Leg - Cairn Terrier X

Options
  • 05-04-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Honey, my 7 year old Cairn Terrier X, started 'protecting' her left hind leg on Friday evening. I thought maybe she had strained a muscle after a long car journey in her new harness... I thought maybe I hadn't sized it right and she had too much wriggle room. Saturday morning she was again slow on climbing the stairs and slow to jump onto chairs etc. Took her for a walk and she seemed in her usual good humour, happy to run about etc. Having returned home after an hour or two I felt she was "protecting" her back left leg and a physio friend agreed with me. I gave her half a paracetemol and she had plenty of rest for the day and she perked up completely. The only thing she didn't do as normal was roll onto her back demanding tummy tickles!

So Saturday night, again she was slow to jump onto the chair and slow on the stairs. Again on Sunday we went to the park for a walk and she was running around like a pup. She was in good spirits however this evening she's again slow to jump and seems stiff. I felt her leg on Saturday morning and again today and it seems fine. She showed no signs of pain when I checked it out. I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow but I was hoping someone on here might make a suggestion as to how I can make her comfortable tonight. I don't want to give her more tablets unless I should.

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Hi, don't mean to scare you but I think paracetamol can damage a dog's liver and that's why you're better off getting painkillers from your vet. Only your vet can give you the best advice regards your Cairn's leg but hopefully she'll be ok. You're probably doing the right thing by keeping her quiet and reducing the activity. If she's not in obvious pain it might be a pulled muscle. I have a Westie and he fell off the back of the couch last year (long story) and when I touched his leg there was no reaction but he was limping. After expensive trip to the vet only thing they could pin it down to was a pulled muscle. I was glad we took him to the vet though because he was screaming in pain. After a couple of weeks he was back to his loony self :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If this goes on for more than a few days, I would recommend seeing a vet. It is prob something minor but she may need some anti inflams to help the healing process and to keep her more comfortable. Keeping her quiet and generally restrict any activity (don't walk her until you get this sorted and try ot lift her up the stairs/onto the couch etc.) will help keep her comfortable too.

Advertisement