Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The carrying of a drivers licence?, or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

k_mac wrote: »
    I have prosecuted people myself. That's the only proof I can offer. If that's not good enough I suggest going to a district court and observing the summons cases. Most people will brought to court for drivin licence will be prosecuted for all three driving licence offences.

Caselaw (judges decisions in courts) clarifies ambiguities in the legislation.

I'm sorry but its not good enough...are you saying that you prosecuted persons for failure to produce they're licence at a checkpoint?...i think not!...You may have prosecuted people that failed to produce at a later date?...is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I carry it but Im not one bit happy about it. Carrying it increases the likelyhood of it being loss or stolen. Now our driving licence is an acceptable document for the purposes of opening bank accounts & generally stealing identity. It is wrong that we should have to carry a document such as this at all times.
    If we are required to carry a driving licence , it should be the in card format giving details of category etc but not acceptabe to banks etc & perhaps then have the long format document which can be kept safely at home which would be suitable for identification purposes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

as.eirinn wrote: »
    I'm sorry but its not good enough...are you saying that you prosecuted persons for failure to produce they're licence at a checkpoint?...i think not!...You may have prosecuted people that failed to produce at a later date?...is this true?

There are three seperate offences. i have prosecuted for all three.

1) Failing to produce a licence when demanded
    2) Failing to produce a licence within 10 days following a lawful demand
    3) Driving without a valid licence

You can doubt it all you want. Thats the way it is.

There are three seperate offences. i have prosecuted for all three.

1) Failing to produce a licence when demanded
    2) Failing to produce a licence within 10 days following a lawful demand
    3) Driving without a valid licence

You can doubt it all you want. Thats the way it is.

with the greatest respect, failing to produce 'when demanded' says nothing about 'there and then' and that's the crux of the matter...i cannot find anything about 'on the spot' or 'there and then' or 'immediately' because as far as i can see there is no law...i will doubt it and furthermore will not comply until i see it in black and white...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I just carry it just to keep them guards quiet. When i approach a check point i remove it from the sun visor and keep it in my hand and they normally wave you on. I wouldnt sute any of them to have to do me for anything..

mickdw wrote: »
    I carry it but Im not one bit happy about it. Carrying it increases the likelyhood of it being loss or stolen. Now our driving licence is an acceptable document for the purposes of opening bank accounts & generally stealing identity. It is wrong that we should have to carry a document such as this at all times.
    If we are required to carry a driving licence , it should be the in card format giving details of category etc but not acceptabe to banks etc & perhaps then have the long format document which can be kept safely at home which would be suitable for identification purposes etc.

correct, it is wrong to have to carry documentation around, if your are road legal it is displayed on the windscreen of your car...if it was 'right' to do so it would have the full backing of 'law'...it doesnt!!! imho!

with the greatest respect, failing to produce 'when demanded' says nothing about 'there and then' and that's the crux of the matter...i cannot find anything about 'on the spot' or 'there and then' or 'immediately' because as far as i can see there is no law...i will doubt it and furthermore will not comply until i see it in black and white...

Road Traffic Act 1994

25.—The following section is inserted in the Principal Act in substitution for section 40 of that Act:

"40.—(1) ( a ) A member of the Garda Síochána may demand, of a person driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle or accompanying pursuant to regulations under this Act the holder of a provisional licence while such holder is driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle, the production to him of a driving licence then having effect and licensing the said person to drive the vehicle, and if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence there and then, he shall be guilty of an offence.

There it is. I think someone already posted this though. It applies to the driver or someone accompanying a provisional licence driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

correct, it is wrong to have to carry documentation around, if your are road legal it is displayed on the windscreen of your car...if it was 'right' to do so it would have the full backing of 'law'...it doesnt!!! imho!

As I said I still do carry it though. I admit I have accidentally left home driving without my wallet (which contains licence) on occasion. In all cases, I would be able to produce it within 20 mins if I had forgotten it. It does seem pretty crap that I could get prosecuted for this though. Will the gardai generally allow a person to produce it or is it one of those laws that they decide to enforce if they stumble across a cheeky fecker at the checkpoint?

As I said I still do carry it though. I admit I have accidentally left home driving without my wallet (which contains licence) on occasion. In all cases, I would be able to produce it within 20 mins if I had forgotten it. It does seem pretty crap that I could get prosecuted for this though. Will the gardai generally allow a person to produce it or is it one of those laws that they decide to enforce if they stumble across a cheeky fecker at the checkpoint?

I would say it could be a lot to do with the mood of the fella that stops you. I remember the day that law come in their was checkpoints everywhere but i was never asked for it again

• Advertisement

Road Traffic Act 1994

25.—The following section is inserted in the Principal Act in substitution for section 40 of that Act:

"40.—(1) ( a ) A member of the Garda Síochána may demand, of a person driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle or accompanying pursuant to regulations under this Act the holder of a provisional licence while such holder is driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle, the production to him of a driving licence then having effect and licensing the said person to drive the vehicle, and if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence there and then, he shall be guilty of an offence.

There it is. I think someone already posted this though. It applies to the driver or someone accompanying a provisional licence driver.

this is wrong...it has been updated since

your cannot be prosecuted for this as far as im aware...nowhere have i found anyone prosecuted for this...simply produce it within ten days...simple as that!!!

this is wrong...it has been updated since

Only the wording. The offence is the same. Unless you can show otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

smoochie06 wrote: »
    I dont carry mine with me because i drive different cars all the time so its not as easy as saying just throw it in the glovebox.

I agree with the other posters who say we need a credit card sized one. Then i would be able to keep it in my wallet with no hassle.

Just fold your licence in half and it fits easily inside your wallet.

SARASON wrote: »
    I just carry it just to keep them guards quiet. When i approach a check point i remove it from the sun visor and keep it in my hand and they normally wave you on. I wouldnt sute any of them to have to do me for anything..

the gardai are there to serve you...they are public servants sworn to uphold the law and your rights...why would you think they'd 'do' you for anything?...why would a citizen be afraid of the gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

your cannot be prosecuted for this as far as im aware...nowhere have i found anyone prosecuted for this...simply produce it within ten days...simple as that!!!

Mother of god around and around and around.

There is a three part summons for no licence, failure to produce there and then and failure to produce within ten days at a station of your choice. Thats it.

Hundreds get summons every month for this offence. It is an offence. The wording of the above post only added that it was amended by the Road Traffic and Transport Act of 2006. Simples.

You are wrong, deal with it. If you wish to challenge it.....next time you are asked for you licence at a checkpoint, tell the Garda you have it but you are not showing it to him...tell him you will produce within ten days. Im sure you will get a very quick lesson the failure to produce there and then....and if you are so unlucky that it is me that stops you.....you will very quickly be introduced to Section 107 of the RTA.

• Advertisement

Only the wording. The offence is the same. Unless you can show otherwise.

i think it was shown in an earlier post...nothing about 'on the spot', just the request and or demand 2006 i believe...

the gardai are there to serve you...they are public servants sworn to uphold the law and your rights...why would you think they'd 'do' you for anything?...why would a citizen be afraid of the gardai?

Well im definitley aint afraid of them but what i was refering to was a certain number of traffic corps members love prosecuting people for anything. Normal ags members are much more easy going

Mother of god around and around and around.

There is a three part summons for no licence, failure to produce there and then and failure to produce within ten days at a station of your choice. Thats it.

Hundreds get summons every month for this offence. It is an offence. The wording of the above post only added that it was amended by the Road Traffic and Transport Act of 2006. Simples.

You are wrong, deal with it. If you wish to challenge it.....next time you are asked for you licence at a checkpoint, tell the Garda you have it but you are not showing it to him...tell him you will produce within ten days. Im sure you will get a very quick lesson the failure to produce there and then....and if you are so unlucky that it is me that stops you.....you will very quickly be introduced to Section 107 of the RTA.

3 times ive been stopped, 3 times ive not shown it but agreed to call to the station...all was well with this resolution...introduced to nothing in the RTA and went on my merry way...So, i must be the luckiest motorist OR there is no law 'proper' that can be inacted in this case...which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

You're not impressing anyone by trying to show your fearlessness here.

I, and I'm sure many other people, would 'fear' the thoughts of getting fined or getting points for something as stupid as refusing to carry a piece of paper in my glove compartment.

As nice guy always says and as k_mac has so very politely been trying to explain to you (don't know where you get your patience!), this sort of things goes on ALL the time.

Besides, where exactly do you think you're living? You live in Ireland... you could drive the length and breadth of the country 5 times over without ever being pulled over by the guards so I don't see how this effects your 'movement'.

Get over yourself and stop trolling.

If you're not even willing to listen to the people that would be responsible for prosecuting you, then go ahead... don't comply - don't produce your license on the spot and run the risk of getting a needless amount of hassle/points/fines from a Garda who has had a really sh1tty day.

Oh and when this happens, please post on how your day in court went here so we can all laugh and say 'I told you so'.

3 times ive been stopped, 3 times ive not shown it but agreed to call to the station...all was well with this resolution...introduced to nothing in the RTA and went on my merry way...So, i must be the luckiest motorist OR there is no law 'proper' that can be inacted in this case...which is it?

The law has been give by K mac.

This is the amendments that the Road Traffic and Transpot act of 2006 made. Please note that are all substitutions. You cannot just leave out words in an Act.....they must be subsitituted or stated they no longer apply.

13.— Section 40 (inserted by section 25 of the Act of 1994) of the Principal Act is amended—

(a) in subsection (1), by substituting—

(i) “learner permit” for “provisional licence”, and

(ii) “production of and presentation to the member for his or her inspection” for “the production to him”,

and

(b) in subsection (1A) (inserted by section 18 of the Act of 2002) by substituting—

(i) “learner permit” for “provisional licence”, and

(ii) “the production of and presentation to the member for his or her inspection” for “the production to him”.

• Advertisement

The Gardaí can use their discretion. In your case the Garda was satisfied for you to produce your licence at a later date. It doesn't change the fact that you committed an offence. You were just let off with it.

Vertakill wrote: »

+1

Im am sick of this freemen ****e to be honest. Try posting in indymedia......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Exactly! People get let away with offences all the time if they're a minor mistake or if there's a genuine reason.

The OP is just purposely trying to be as difficult as possible rather than actually having a valid reason for not carrying it and I hope the next Garda that he/she encounters won't be so lenient.

If you just produce your license on the spot, the Garda can then get back to doing something useful, rather than taking all your details down and having to file that with their station or whatever it is they need to do.

And then you have to take the time and petrol to go down to the station and produce all your details to the Garda there....

And what exactly have you gained from all of this? Hardly a sense of freedom because you're still complying to 'the man' by going down to the station.

+1

Im am sick of this freemen ****e to be honest. Try posting in indymedia......

looks like the end is nigh, feathers ruffled...let the swearing ensue!

I, and I'm sure many other people, would 'fear' the thoughts of getting fined or getting points for something as stupid as refusing to carry a piece of paper in my glove compartment.

As nice guy always says and as k_mac has so very politely been trying to explain to you (don't know where you get your patience!), this sort of things goes on ALL the time.

Besides, where exactly do you think you're living? You live in Ireland... you could drive the length and breadth of the country 5 times over without ever being pulled over by the guards so I don't see how this effects your 'movement'.

If you're not even willing to listen to the people that would be responsible for prosecuting you, then go ahead... don't comply - don't produce your license on the spot and run the risk of getting a needless amount of hassle/points/fines from a Garda who has had a really sh1tty day.

Oh and when this happens, please post on how your day in court went here so we can all laugh and say 'I told you so'.

no point insulting and goading me, i asked a simple question at the start...it still remains...
    Where are the people who were prosecuted for not producing on the spot?...thats all.

looks like the end is nigh, feathers ruffled...let the swearing ensue!

This appears to be the main aim of your thread from what I can see.
    no point insulting and goading me, i asked a simple question at the start...it still remains...
    Where are the people who were prosecuted for not producing on the spot?...thats all.

Your question has been answered a number of times by different people. If you want the name of someone prosecuted you won't be getting it on this forum unless they give it to you themselves.

i will keep you updated sir/madam...sorry i havent impressed upon you the needless carrying of a licence...you are free you carry yours...im now over myself!...thank you for your comments, much appreciated...

I want to ask if anyone else does not carry they're drivers licence? I have never done so, nor 'am likely to do so in the future.

If that is your simple question, then I think it's been answered several times over here...

It's funny how you have such a large (and badly written) story already in the motors section from a while back and still don't realise how much hassle could've been avoided?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055817203

I especially like this bit:
    "I somehow annoyed the garda in charge"

Anyways, I'd imagine anyone who was prosecuted for something as silly as not producing their license, would be too embarassed to even tell their story here.

i will keep you updated sir/madam...sorry i havent impressed upon you the needless carrying of a licence...you are free you carry yours...im now over myself!...thank you for your comments, much appreciated...

I'd love to know who would be influenced enough to, commit an offence, and now stop carrying their license due to your 'debating' here...

This appears to be the main aim of your thread from what I can see.

Your question has been answered a number of times by different people. If you want the name of someone prosecuted you won't be getting it on this forum unless they give it to you themselves.

it wasn't, it was a genuine question that i had, i asked for no swearing...i replied as best i could, without getting annoyed...just wanted some clarity and i am a little wiser now...

thankyou...

• Advertisement

If that is your simple question, then I think it's been answered several times over here...

It's funny how you have such a large (and badly written) story already in the motors section from a while back and still don't realise how much hassle could've been avoided?

I especially like this bit:

Anyways, I'd imagine anyone who was prosecuted for something as silly as not producing their license, would be too embarassed to even tell their story here.

I'd love to know who would be influenced enough to, commit an offence, and now stop carrying their license due to your 'debating' here...

i was never prosecuted for any offence under the RTA...i do not wish to influence others, just to inform and to be informed...I've nothing to be embarrassed about, my English is average as is most peoples...to slag off my grammar shows where we are at...what is wrong with the telling of a story (however badly) it is written on boards?...

i leave it there as now were discussing my lack of Education...no doubt you'll require the last word on this...thanking you for your time...the floor is yours!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...Where are the people who were prosecuted for not producing on the spot?...thats all.

At home/work/on holiday? :confused:

Just so we are clear. The op was mistaken. It is the law to carry your licence and you may be prosecuted if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Seeing as you have refered to the above link, you may have noticed the ammount of thanks it has attracted, suggesting the OP is not unique in his experience with "the law". Could you explain what the problem was with requesting a piece of paper to record his compliance with the garda's requirement to produce. Why the obstinant refusal to provide this? As in all walks of life, some garda are just thick. I do carry my licence, by the way, as I believe it is a legal requirement.

PS. Andrew33 -"does a ban on firearms stop anyone getting shot in Ireland?"- when did this ban happen?

Slick50 wrote: »
    Seeing as you have refered to the above link, you may have noticed the ammount of thanks it has attracted, suggesting the OP is not unique in his experience with "the law". Could you explain what the problem was with requesting a piece of paper to record his compliance with the garda's requirement to produce. Why the obstinant refusal to provide this? As in all walks of life, some garda are just thick. I do carry my licence, by the way, as I believe it is a legal requirement.

PS. Andrew33 -"does a ban on firearms stop anyone getting shot in Ireland?"- when did this ban happen?

I think he was referring the the fact that if the op just kept his document swith him when driving he wouldn't need to worry about this stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I leave my drivers licence in the glove compartment of the car as it is too akward and clumsy in the wallet and after a few months gets worn to crap. I can't beleive we still haven't introduced a Credit card sized drivers licence it is a disgrace. The old licence are so easy to forge and it would make for easier carrying in the wallet.

I also beleive we should have a National ID card as having to produce your passport on an internal flight with Ryanair to Dublin for a day is beyond stupid, and a passport is harder to carry than our oversized driving licence and is alot more important and valuable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

it wasn't, it was a genuine question that i had, i asked for no swearing...i replied as best i could, without getting annoyed...just wanted some clarity and i am a little wiser now...

thankyou...

Based on the advice given, will you carry your license with you in future?

I just leave mine in the glove box, i know it's always there if I need it. Only ever been stopped once and having it there saved me the hassle of a trip to the local station.

EDIT: Also OP, if we had credit card style licenses, would you be more likely to carry it with you, or is this not part of the issue for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Stinicker wrote: »
    I leave my drivers licence in the glove compartment of the car as it is too akward and clumsy in the wallet and after a few months gets worn to crap. I can't beleive we still haven't introduced a Credit card sized drivers licence it is a disgrace. The old licence are so easy to forge and it would make for easier carrying in the wallet.
    Yeah, credit card size licences are way way overdue. I never leave my licence in the car, I prefer to keep it in my wallet. The plastic sleeve has got a bit ragged over the years but the licence itself is still in good nick, I rarely have the need to touch it so it stays wrapped up nice and cosy in its own zipped pocket.
    I also beleive we should have a National ID card as having to produce your passport on an internal flight with Ryanair to Dublin for a day is beyond stupid, and a passport is harder to carry than our oversized driving licence and is alot more important and valuable.
    Producing your passport is merely Ryanair company policy, other airlines accept other legally acceptable forms of photo ID (e.g. driver's licence) even for flights to UK. I don't see why RYR would change their policy to accept another form of ID when they already refuse other forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I drive different vehicles most days, sometimes I forget to take my licence from one to another, have been stopped without it a few times and never got any grief.
    a credit card style licence would make it easier to carry in the wallet but then again I sometimes forget that too.

• Advertisement

TheColl wrote: »
    Based on the advice given, will you carry your license with you in future?

I just leave mine in the glove box, i know it's always there if I need it. Only ever been stopped once and having it there saved me the hassle of a trip to the local station.

EDIT: Also OP, if we had credit card style licenses, would you be more likely to carry it with you, or is this not part of the issue for you?

I will not...,a lost cause maybe?, but one I feel strongly about. A legal requirement is'n't good enough I'm afraid...I will however produce at a later date when requested to do so...credit card style licenses aren't the issue at all...I never minded dropping it in and getting it processed, no complaints about that either...just wanted proof of doing so but that's another story (badly written)

I'll leave it there...Thanking you,
    All the best.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Producing your passport is merely Ryanair company policy, other airlines accept other legally acceptable forms of photo ID (e.g. driver's licence) even for flights to UK. I don't see why RYR would change their policy to accept another form of ID when they already refuse other forms.

But with a National ID card you can also travel within the European Union without your passport. Some people (myself included) travel to Europe several times a year and often use Ryanair who accept European ID from the countries that have it eg. Poland.

Contrary to common belief you do not need a Passport to travel with Ryanair to an EU/EEC state if you have a National ID card issued by a country which does so, Ireland does not. The UK are trialling them but they are not offical yet.

I will not...,a lost cause maybe?, but one I feel strongly about. A legal requirement is'n't good enough I'm afraid...I will however produce at a later date when requested to do so...credit card style licenses aren't the issue at all...I never minded dropping it in and getting it processed, no complaints about that either...just wanted proof of doing so but that's another story (badly written)

All the best.

So what was the point in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The UK are trialling them but they are not offical yet.

They are official, and any British citizen who is resident in the UK can get one.
    http://idsmart.direct.gov.uk/who-can-get-the-card.html

They are official, and any British citizen who is resident in the UK can get one.
    http://idsmart.direct.gov.uk/who-can-get-the-card.html

But not valid for O'Leary air yet! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

But not valid for O'Leary air yet! :eek:

It is.
    THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:

• A valid passport – (see below - */and ** below)
    • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries issue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom)
    • A valid German Government issued Kinderausweis travel document
    • A valid Italian Certificato Di Nascita which has been endorsed as "VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO" valid for travel. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport - see ** below.
    • A valid Italian AT/BT card (Italian domestic flights only).
    • A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    • A valid Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    • A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country
    http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

All the best.

:confused::confused::confused:

Cool, I looked it up recently after the whole passport office debacle and it wasn't listed then! Nevertheless I am not entitled to one so it has no effect on me! Ireland really needs to get one of these though!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

OP, if you carried your licence with you, you wouldn't have had to deal with:

I hope you can come to terms wit the whole licence thing - let it go - move on with your life - you can do this, you can carry your licence...maybe you should see someone about this

Maybe your licence be with you where ever you may go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

All the best.

Do you feel equally strongly against displaying your motor tax, insurance and NCT (if applicable) disks?. Do you still display them even though you have all paid tax, insurance and had your car approved? If yes, then how can you be so resistant to one law yet choose to comply with other equivalent laws (displaying your tax disk is equivalent to producing licence on demand)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

There are constantly people before the courts charged with failure to produce a licence there and then. It is invariably accompanied by another charge of failing to produce within 10 days. When there is a prosecution the defendant is usually convicted of driving without a licence and the other offences are taken into account. If the licence is produced within 10 days a prosecution for failure to produce there and then will not proceed, at the discretion of the prosecuting garda. The chances of a judge convicting in a case where there was no other offence is about nil, and it is probably not worth the hassle of bringing a prosecution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement