Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The carrying of a drivers licence?, or not?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Jo King wrote: »
    There are constantly people before the courts charged with failure to produce a licence there and then. It is invariably accompanied by another charge of failing to produce within 10 days. When there is a prosecution the defendant is usually convicted of driving without a licence and the other offences are taken into account. If the licence is produced within 10 days a prosecution for failure to produce there and then will not proceed, at the discretion of the prosecuting garda. The chances of a judge convicting in a case where there was no other offence is about nil, and it is probably not worth the hassle of bringing a prosecution.

I really dont know why there is such annimosity to the OP who merely posed a question. and the narkyness of such opposition fom the conformists!

If Jo King is right and no body has been charged with not producing there and then(and no ther charges) then the law to produce there and then is an ass.

Earlier today someone replied that there were in effect 3 possible summons,
    1 not produced there and then
    2 not produced in 10 days
    3 no licence at all.

If 1 is true then why have 2 at all.
    clearly there is such ambiguity.

By the way , A Garda can take the car off you if tax is up, is there no such draconian measure for a no licence( on him) guy

Rugbyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

rugbyman wrote: »
    I really dont know why there is such annimosity to the OP who merely posed a question. and the narkyness of such opposition fom the conformists!
    No animosity or narkyness from the 'conformists', just people trying to explain to a poster who consistently refuses to believe something that has been irrefutably shown to be law.
    If Jo King is right and no body has been charged with not producing there and then(and no ther charges) then the law to produce there and then is an ass.
    It's still law though and it applies to foreign drivers too who may not hang around long enough to produce in a station.
    3 no licence at all.

Clearly there's no ambiguity. If a driver failed to produce a licence there and then but later produces within 10days he may be prosecuted for 1 but cannot be for 2.
    By the way , A Garda can take the car off you if tax is up, is there no such draconian measure for a no licence( on him) guy
    Tax has to be expired by at least 2 months before it can be seized, hardly draconian since 2 months is ample opportunity to sort your motor tax before becoming liable to seizure. However, I don't think there is any such law for not producing a licence on demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

3 no licence at all.

Rugbyman

The animosity is due to the fact that the ops question was answered a number of times but he just ignored the answers.

Jo King did not say noone was charged with it. He said that he has never seen anyone charged with it without the other two.

The offence of not producing in 10 days is to give the person a chance to prove they have a licence and not get charge with offence 3.

A garda can take a car for no tax, insurance, nct, or if they dont believe you could have a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I'm fcuked if they think ill be carrying my licence around with me I drive up to 4 different vehicles per day, if my licence was in my pocket or wallet it would be in giblets in a few months. Whatever happened to the credit card size licence proposal?

What a fantastic thread :rolleyes: 'tis a bit like the numpty in school that always had some utterly retarded reason for not doing the homework :D
    Andrew33 wrote: »
    does a ban on firearms stop anyone getting shot in Ireland?

It hasn't stopped those who have been shot but I would be fairly confident that it has made that group smaller than if there was no ban on firearms

Mother of god around and around and around.

There is a three part summons for no licence, failure to produce there and then and failure to produce within ten days at a station of your choice. Thats it.

Hundreds get summons every month for this offence. It is an offence. The wording of the above post only added that it was amended by the Road Traffic and Transport Act of 2006. Simples.

You are wrong, deal with it. If you wish to challenge it.....next time you are asked for you licence at a checkpoint, tell the Garda you have it but you are not showing it to him...tell him you will produce within ten days. Im sure you will get a very quick lesson the failure to produce there and then....and if you are so unlucky that it is me that stops you.....you will very quickly be introduced to Section 107 of the RTA.

Very well put, I must say I admire your patience for putting it like that.

This thread had a Victor Meldrew air to it :D

RoverJames wrote: »
    What a fantastic thread :rolleyes: 'tis a bit like the numpty in school that always had some utterly retarded reason for not doing the homework :D

It hasn't stopped those who have been shot but I would be fairly confident that it has made that group smaller than if there was no ban on firearms

Very well put, I must say I admire your patience for putting it like that.

This thread had a Victor Meldrew air to it :D

If the government followed through with their credit card style licences as other countries have this thread probably wouldn't exist..

bryaner wrote: »
    If the government followed through with their credit card style licences as other countries have this thread probably wouldn't exist..

I don't know to be honest, I would think the OP wouldn't be carrying the credit card one either, that's must my opinion though.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I don't know to be honest, I would think the OP wouldn't be carrying the credit card one either, that's must my opinion though.

I know what your saying, my point only being if it's in your wallet like the rest of your cards it takes a lot of hassle out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ho hum [again].

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

as.eirinn wrote: »
    no point insulting and goading me, i asked a simple question at the start...it still remains...
    Where are the people who were prosecuted for not producing on the spot?...thats all.
    as.eirinn wrote: »
    your cannot be prosecuted for this as far as im aware...nowhere have i found anyone prosecuted for this...simply produce it within ten days...simple as that!!!

I have never seen this offence (ie. failing to produce driving licence there and then at the roadside) being prosecuted on its own. It is usually prosecuted along with the other two driving licence offences.

(I don't carry my driving licence with me as I fear that if my car was ever broken into, the first thing taken would be my driving licence!)

Jo King wrote: »
    There are constantly people before the courts charged with failure to produce a licence there and then. It is invariably accompanied by another charge of failing to produce within 10 days. When there is a prosecution the defendant is usually convicted of driving without a licence and the other offences are taken into account. If the licence is produced within 10 days a prosecution for failure to produce there and then will not proceed, at the discretion of the prosecuting garda. The chances of a judge convicting in a case where there was no other offence is about nil, and it is probably not worth the hassle of bringing a prosecution.

Well said Jo King, I concur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What's the big deal? They are not all that heavy. Carry it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I've said this before but itsmy opinion that we should help the cops
    if they wanna lookat your lisence it's because they want to know who you are; in which case it's a quick andeasy way to show them
    or what you driving history is or simply because someone has toldthem to doa checkpoint to catch people without lisences

Assuming that you are not who they are looking for and you hold avalid lisence it's nice to be helpful to someone who is simply tryi ng to make the roads safer or mabey catch someone naughty

this impinges on my rights stuff is childish in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Thank you! 1.Question everything the govt does and challenge it if it deserves to be challenged. 2.Carrying an ID card does not make the world or Ireland ANY safer. 3.It will not impede the criminals one bit 4.(does a ban on firearms stop anyone getting shot in Ireland?) 5.but it would give the authorities the right to arrest you on the spot for not being able to prove who you are even if you've done nothing more than nip to the shops for a litre of milk! "The price of freedom is eternal vigilence (and surveillance)"

I'm amazed nobody has pulled up this post.

1. Yes challenge the government at every oportunity
    2. Of course ID cards would make Ireland a safer place. Imagine you are wanted for a crime or on warrant and stopped by a Garda...give a bogey name and address and on you go...
    3 Yes it will impede criminals...see above
    4. Of course a ban on firearms stops people getting shot. OK there are plently of illegal handguns out there but imagine the scenario if they were legal here and every house had one? United States or South Africa spring to mind where hundreds of thousands are killed by legally held firearms usually stolen.
    5. ID cards are in issue all over Europe including the UK..where is the evidence that the Police are abusing their powers in this respect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Papiere gefallen.

/Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

I don't know which is worse, how you spent your free time thinking about this and writing that long a post about carrying your license or the fact that I'm replying to this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

veetwin wrote: »
    I'm amazed nobody has pulled up this post.

1. Yes challenge the government at every oportunity
    2. Of course ID cards would make Ireland a safer place. Imagine you are wanted for a crime or on warrant and stopped by a Garda...give a bogey name and address and on you go...
    3 Yes it will impede criminals...see above
    4. Of course a ban on firearms stops people getting shot. OK there are plently of illegal handguns out there but imagine the scenario if they were legal here and every house had one? United States or South Africa spring to mind where hundreds of thousands are killed by legally held firearms usually stolen.
    5. ID cards are in issue all over Europe including the UK..where is the evidence that the Police are abusing their powers in this respect?
    I'm amazed the thread hasn't been pulled up. The question/s have been answered, and all the predicted responses repeated and regurgitated. FYI... firearms are not banned in this country, there are over 230,000 legaly held firearms registered here. And we still don't have the dire murder rates some would seem to anticipate. Despite our stringent licencing system there are all too many illegaly held ones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Slick50 wrote: »
    I'm amazed the thread hasn't been pulled up. The question/s have been answered, and all the predicted responses repeated and regurgitated. FYI... firearms are not banned in this country, there are over 230,000 legaly held firearms registered here. And we still don't have the dire murder rates some would seem to anticipate. Despite our stringent licencing system there are all too many illegaly held ones too.

I thought it was a given that when we were referring to firearms that we weren't talking about grandad's .22 or double barrel shotgun. When I was referring to fireams I was thinking more along the lines of handguns and assault weapons. And I don't get your post...are you advocating a ban or not? Also what other questions have been answered and regurgitated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

veetwin wrote: »
    I thought it was a given that when we were referring to firearms that we weren't talking about grandad's .22 or double barrel shotgun. When I was referring to fireams I was thinking more along the lines of handguns and assault weapons. And I don't get your post...are you advocating a ban or not? Also what other questions have been answered and regurgitated?
    Well I didn't read as given that you didn't mean grandads .22 or shotguns, which are both very capable of killing, you stated "firearms", which they both are. And not all hand guns are banned either. I wasn't making a stand for or against a ban, I was pointing out an erroneous statement. The questions I was refering to, were those presented in the OP.

Advertisement