Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading mobile processor (dell studio)

Options
  • 05-04-2010 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Ok i've been thinking about upgrading my laptops processor.
    After googling around, i found that is very much possible (even have dell guide on how to do it).
    My concern though is selecting the correct processor upgrade and if it will actually be worth the upgrade in terms of peformance.

If anyone could recommend a processor that will work while giving a noticable upgrade (at a resonable price!) i would be most thankful!

Cpu-z information on my processor:
    Dell Studio 15 (1555)

Name Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P7350
    Codename Penryn
    Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz
    Package (platform ID) Socket P (478) (0x7)
    CPUID 6.7.A
    Extended CPUID 6.17
    Core Stepping R0
    Technology 45 nm
    Core Speed 1994.9 MHz
    Multiplier x FSB 7.5 x 266.0 MHz
    Rated Bus speed 1064.0 MHz
    Stock frequency 2000 MHz
    Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T
    L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L2 cache 3072 KBytes, 12-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID/VID Control yes
    FID range 6.0x - 7.5x
    Max VID 1.100 V

Chipset

Northbridge Intel PM45 rev. 07
    Southbridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) rev. 03

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

whats the spec of the rest of your laptop and what do you use the laptop for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

whats the spec of the rest of your laptop and what do you use the laptop for?

Cheers for reply, yeah sorry should have put that in original post.
    Its a dell studio 15 (1555)
    Windows 7 x64
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7350 @ 2Ghz (Performance Rated at: 3.2835 GHz)
    4gb ram
    512mb hd ati mobility 4570 (with modded drivers)

It was my desktop replacement as I was going overseas and wanted something for playing games and doing the usual computer stuff.

I wasn't looking for something to max out crysis just something that could play recent (low/medium settings) and old games (high/medium) on if I wanted to which it does fairly well... yet I feel I could get more out of it.

I know the card is a medium range dx9 card (or low end dx10) and am not expecting miracles from it as I know its limitations but the processor i feel can do better.

Just want to know if an upgrade is worthwhile for the processors that are available(which are?). Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Biggest improvement would be selling it and grabbing one of the shiny i3+HD5650 Dells to replace it! :P Big boost to CPU and GPU! ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

on a quick glance, it seems that there are a number of processors available to you, including the Quad Core Q9000 CPU. Your board accepts 45nm CPU die casts on the 478 socket (P)

The P8700 (Dual Core) and the T9600 (Dual Core)

Unfortuneatly the power requirements for the q9000 is high (45W) compared to your current CPU (35W), but honestly, that T9600 is 2.8ghz Core 2, it'll actually perform much better than the Q9000, as it's only clocked at 2ghz per core.

As for price on the T9600, you're looking at... 200 euro and upwards (if you're VERY lucky). Theres a few on ebay going for that. Retail prices are around 300 euro though :(

http://www.computeruniverse.net/list.asp?groupid=30000092&home=false&props_mastergroup=Falsch

EDIT: And yeah, the new Dell, and Acer i3s/i5s with the ATI 5650 are fantastic, and attractive prices too. Seems like portable gaming is taking a stride in the right direction finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Thanks cherryghost thats along the lines of what I was looking for and the price range I was worried about. I'll keep an eye out for the T9600 to see if i could pick one up cheap.

Also damn you Solitaire, I'm now looking at those new Studio 17 with envy and even comtemplating selling my laptop to fund a purchase grrr :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement