Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Playpen: Syncosised.

• 05-04-2010 10:00am
    Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭

Ladies and Gentleman, boys and girls, sockymonsters and Deise_girls... Please welcome to the playpen a man who needs no introduction.
    Well actually that's a total lie. He really does need an introduction, otherwise he would've just opened this damn thread himself, and not kept on at me to do it for him. Perhaps he thinks I can add some sort of credibility to his 2 star account. Actually, no that's doubtful too. For you see, Syncosised does not need any added credibility. I can count him among one of my 4 bestest friends (a group of nerds) and in that group, it is in fact he who gives us some credibility. He is the "straight" character, or as normal as one can be in the company of 4 other weirdos. He had a girlfriend for a long period of time, teh wimminz seem to find him endearing (no idea why) and he goes out to social events on many occasions.

Syncosised, or Gearóid as some other, less interesting people call him, was on the interwebs long before me. And most certainly long before some of you young'ins! He used to use my n00biness against me, in unimaginable, horrible ways (events which are now sworn to secrecy). But if you ask him nicely enough maybe I'll let him tell you some of them. :)

So here you go! The first play-pen entrant you don't already know everything about! By the time this week is over, ye should all know him at least as well as I do. So BEGIN! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Thank you for that wonderful introduction, and it only took you a week to come up with it! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    He used to use my n00biness against me, in unimaginable, horrible ways (events which are now sworn to secrecy). But if you ask him nicely enough maybe I'll let him tell you some of them. :)

My question is this, rephrased into the form of a question.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Do you, or do you not fully support the G4E campaign?

/only in joke in this thread, promise!

What is your favourite Fake Dog Film and why?

If you could add one aspect of boards.ie to the FDF boards of rage, what would that be?

phpBB or VBulletin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

The usual ceisteanna, I s'ppose....

Me or deise?

John or Edward?

What would you order in a chinese?

Whats your fave typa cheeeeesee!?:D

GAA, yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Is your illustrious goal-keeping career over? (Take that, 'no in-jokes' Paul)

Why do you hate Wind Waker?

What happened to the big palm tree thing outside your house?

Favourite video-game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

What are you doing with your life? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

what pizza toppings do you like?

are you a good dancer?

what's your all time favourite band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

What first brought you to boards?

How'd you meet D4RK ONION?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Did you ever rick-roll D4RK ONION? If so, was it really funny?

Favourite video game console?

How much programming/scripting experience do you have?

Best branch of mathematics?

Where'd the username come from? Have you ever looked up synco on Urban Dictionary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Does subtle product placement annoy you?

If you have 5 Pepsis and you drink 3, how much more refreshed are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

What's your favourite part of Galway?

What's the last song that gave you goose bumps?

What's the best dream you've ever had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

What do you look for in a girl?:pac:
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

What songs do you play the most on your mp3/i-pod/computer?

Do you play any instruments?

Have you been to the cinema lately, if so, to see what?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Favourite album?

Favourite tv show as a kid?

Favourite tv show now?

Ducks: Yay or nay?

Seeing as you're a nerd computery guy?

Favourite OS?
    Favourite browser?
    Text editor (or IDE, or WYSIWYG)?
    Media player?

Reasons for the above if you want me to judge you based on your reasons rather than purely the name of what you use.

Some non-nerdy questions now.

Favourite dinner(s)?
    Favourite sandwich(es)?
    Favourite food not covered by the above?
    Favourite soft drink(s)?
    If you're a drinker, favourite alcoholic drink?

Put your music library on random.
    First 5 songs that play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

What's the best piece of advice you were ever given?

Favourite website (apart from Boards,of course)?

Best compliment you've ever received?

5 things you like about yourself?

Languages you'd love to learn to speak?

Any fears/phobias?

Any interest in politics?

Are you ticklish?

What do you do when you need cheering up?

Favourite girls name/girls names you like?

Favourite boys name/boys names you like?

Pet peeves?

Guilty pleasures?

Bottled water,yay or nay?

Proudest achievements?

Best "mistake" you've ever made?

:)

Favourite website (apart from Boards,of course)?
    HA, I wonder what this will be?!?!

Lots of questions to get through, let's get going!
    He used to use my n00biness against me, in unimaginable, horrible ways (events which are now sworn to secrecy). But if you ask him nicely enough maybe I'll let him tell you some of them.
    My question is this, rephrased into the form of a question.

Sit down, young Pygmalion, and let me tell you a tale. It begins in the year 2006 or so, before the time of Facebook, when online communication consisted of Bebo comments sometimes peppered with a very special "luv", shared once a day. Back in this grand time, I, before my time as syncosised, and Paul, before his now infamous run as D4RK ONION, were having a friendly conversation about the day's events and what have you. At this time, I felt it appropriate to share with Paul a link I had found which I believed he may find useful. At this link was a "crush calculator", which rather amazingly determined your compatibility with your crushes based entirely on yours and their name. Well, poor old Paul poured his heart and soul into this text form, only to be (hilariously) informed that these details were not used to determine crush compatibility, but rather emailed to me so I could have a good old evil chuckle about it. Many of my friends were duped by this clever site, and took the whole prank in rather good spirits. However, our dear Paul was displeased that such information had been so coyly extracted from him. Three weeks later, when the now-Onion eventually started talking to me again, we had a good laugh about it.

And that, my fellow C&Hers, is how a young, innocent Paul we knew and loved became the old, bitter Onion we tolerate today.

>_>

I demand proof tbh!

>_>

I demand proof tbh!

Same, sure just post up the list of names and I'll believe it.

• Advertisement

I retract my statement!

I never did tell anyone those names and I never will!

Keeping it moving ...
    Do you, or do you not fully support the G4E campaign?
    How grimly predictable! I knew you would ask this, and this topic is long dead!

What is your favourite Fake Dog Film and why?
    I would have to say Streets of Rage because it was the first Fake Dog Film I was ever a part of. I spent my first few nights in Galway during the filming of that too. All around, it was really good fun to film, and the spirit was tremendous. :)

If you could add one aspect of boards.ie to the FDF boards of rage, what would that be?
    I like the idea of Thanks, but I think it leads people to not reply to a post even if they had a good response to it

phpBB or VBulletin?
    phpBB all the way. I'll always choose the free, open source option. Though in this case, I do actually prefer phpBB.

Me or deise?
    It's not a popularity contest, I think you're all just great. icon14.gif

John or Edward?
    Like love and marriage, you can't have one without the other. But in this case, neither, thanks!

What would you order in a chinese?
    Vegetable satay with fried rice, delicious!

Whats your fave typa cheeeeesee!?:D
    A tough choice between some extra mature cheddar or delicious St Tola's organic goat's cheese, lovely stuff.

GAA, yay or nay?
    Yay! I like watching hurling, though I used to prefer playing gaelic football.

As I'm being hassled over on IRC, here's some more!
    Is your illustrious goal-keeping career over? (Take that, 'no in-jokes' Paul)
    Well if my "career" was considered illustrious, then I'd hate to ruin its memory by returning and playing terribly, so yes! Though probably not really.

Why do you hate Wind Waker?
    Slight spoilers here for anyone who's not played it ... but seriously repetitive at the end when you've to just keep collecting rupees for that flipping Tingle. I wasn't really sold on the cel-shaded style either. In any case, no Zelda game could ever be like Ocarina of Time, so it always had that against it.

What happened to the big palm tree thing outside your house?
    I don't even know! I came home from college from weekend and it was gone. I can only suspect that you, Mr Mantis, stole the top half of it, and are now asking this question in a vain attempt to cover up your theft. Well you won't fool me!

Favourite video-game?
    Has to be Ocarina of Time. That game has no equal, it was just so amazing and so brilliant and excellent and really, really good.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    What are you doing with your life? :)
    Studying Electronic and Computer Engineering in NUI Galway. I'm starting placement tomorrow, up here in Galway. It's for 5 months, and I'm hoping it'll be challenging and interesting. I don't have any plans beyond college yet, though I'd love to move to London for a year some time. I've always wanted to have a season ticket for Tottenham. :)
    what pizza toppings do you like?
    Pretty much any vegetable you can think of - peppers, onions, mushrooms (probably my favourite), tomatoes, olives, pineapple, jalapenos, and various types of cheeses. :D

are you a good dancer?
    I'm going to go and say no!

what's your all time favourite band?
    That's a tough one. I suppose one band I keep coming back to are Supergrass, their new stuff is really good. It was brave of them to try a whole new style of music and I think it really works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Have you seen a doctor about your debilitating OoT fanboy condition?

These tales are taking a long time!
    Craguls wrote: »
    What first brought you to boards?
    Looking back, it would appear that 7 years ago I was looking for advice on where to import games from. I recall also poting about the Gizmondo soon after. My more recent arrival was last Christmas, around the time of my exams. :) Onion had been going on about it constantly, and once I saw that Insect Overlord was also on here, I figured I'd give it a go. I don't really post anywhere but C&H though!

How'd you meet D4RK ONION?
    Sit down, young Craguls, and let me tell you a tale! It all began in the year of 2004, as I finished my Junior Cert with flying colours. Perhaps not flying quite so high, and muted colours ... various types of floating greys, I would say. I felt that, being younger than most of my classmates, a year between these results and the beginning of my Leaving Cert years would be beneficial - a year to help me transition from Junior to Leaving Cert; a "transition year", if you will. Well it just so happened that my school had been toying with this idea, and offered this year of certificate transition for just the second time in its history. As I began this year, I noticed a shy boy in the corner. He kept to himself and no-one really talked to him. Well, behind him was a fair-haired boy in coversation with another young gentleman. This young boy was nicknamed "Fish", for reasons that never, ever became apparent to me. Many transition year bonding sessions, such as a stormy trip to the Burren, hilarious first aid classes, an epic trip to Delphi, people locking themelves in cupboards, jumping out of windows and skipping class to play football led me to become friends with this "Fish" character, who later turned out to have a decidedly less exciting name, Paul. From there on, zany Irish college adventures and unforgettable Leaving Cert classes meant that we formed a friendship that lets me tell lots of embarrassing stories about him on the internet.

I genuinely can not believe you dragged that nickname up. I will keel anyone who uses it... EVER

Whoops, perhaps I shouldn't have said that! :O
    Davidius wrote: »
    Did you ever rick-roll D4RK ONION? If so, was it really funny?
    Many's the time I have rickrolled poor Onion. Unfortunately no single occasion sticks out in my mind, though Onion may be able to name one! :)

Favourite video game console?
    Nintendo 64, as I'm sure you're expecting me to say. Fantastic controller with the analogue stick and Z-trigger, as well as the rumble pack. Great games, such as Ocarina of Time (of course :P), Goldeneye, Mario 64, Mario Kart and more. No console has matched it in my mind.

Seems like an appropriate place to answer your other question ...
    Have you seen a doctor about your debilitating OoT fanboy condition?
    I've tried, but there's a massive queue. :D

Now, back to the others ...

How much programming/scripting experience do you have?
    I've studied Java and C in college, as well as some Assembly for the 8051. I know some PHP and JavaScript too and know quite a bit of HTML and CSS, I design websites for money sometimes.

Best branch of mathematics?
    Calculus, definitely. I find it's the most useful and physically applicable of the lot, especially when it comes to my course.

Where'd the username come from? Have you ever looked up synco on Urban Dictionary?
    I don't even remember anymore, something to do with a cross between synchronised and something ending in -sised, maybe synthesised. And no, or at least not until just now. But that sounds spot on! :D

Keep the questions coming! :)
    Does subtle product placement annoy you?
    Not at all!

If you have 5 Pepsis and you drink 3, how much more refreshed are you?
    I believe it's three and one, but regardless, the answer is Pepsi! Do I get partial credit? :D
    Monzo wrote: »
    What's your favourite part of Galway?
    That's a tough one. Do you mean for going out or in general? For the latter I would say The Salt House, really nice pub with loads of interesting imported beers, and they have Scrabble, Timberrrrr (i.e. cheap Jenga) and chess. I love the Eye Cinema too, fantastic place, it's a pity more cinemas can't be like that. In general, I'd say I like the outskirts of the city, I go cycling around a lot and it's really beautiful in some places.

What's the last song that gave you goose bumps?
    I know this will come across as a shamless plug, but not many songs have given me goosebumps. Anyway, it's Distance by Vancougar. We made the video for it, and even then I find it quite emotional.

What's the best dream you've ever had?
    Nothing immediately springs to mind, but any of those ones where I dream I'm having an exam and it's all really terrible. Then I wake up and I realise I've finished those exams and it's the summer. Then I go back to sleep and have lovely dreams. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

syncosised wrote: »
    Nothing immediately springs to mind, but any of those ones where I dream I'm having an exam and it's all really terrible. Then I wake up and I realise I've finished those exams and it's the summer. Then I go back to sleep and have lovely dreams. :)

God damn I hate those dreams. One morning I woke up dreading Geography Paper II!

Q) Best James Bond film, and why?

Best and worst Inis Oirr memory (2006 or otherwise)?

• Advertisement

More!
    AllInOne wrote: »
    What do you look for in a girl?:pac:
    :P
    The usual stuff like a sense of humour, intelligence, good looks and all that. I think ambition is really important as well. I have to say I'm really not attracted to someone who has no ambitions or isn't making the most of themselves, that just annoys me.
    AllInOne wrote: »
    What songs do you play the most on your mp3/i-pod/computer?
    Recently I've been listening to the album Flashy by Electric Six, rarely a day goes buy I don't listen to a song from it!

Do you play any instruments?
    I have a guitar, but what I do with it could hardly be construed as playing! I used to be adept at the piano and the old tin whistle, but sadly those talents have since faded. I imagine.

Have you been to the cinema lately, if so, to see what?:P
    I think the last thing I saw was "I Love You, Phillip Morris". I quite liked it, it was funny but also pretty serious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement