Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climatology MId Term 2 gone from blackboard???

Options
  • 05-04-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

hey guys.. im kinda freaking out here, I just went to do the climatology midterm on blackboard but its gone? i double checked the deadline and its definitely supposed to be there till 12pm today !?
    Anyone else having this problem? I emailed the lecturer but Im panicking cos its a bank holiday and if he doesnt read that till 2mro does that mean Ive lost my 25%?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Yeah, it's disappeared alright. I emailed Dr. Mills.

It'll be sorted, don't worry. The email said 12, so it'll be fine. Should've been later anyway, imo, with the weekend that's in it. I've been up since 8 revising and now I feel massively deflated!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

oh so it's not just my blackboard then ?
    You are my lifesaver, I was freaking out, cos I'd spent the last week studying my ass off and I was gonna do it last night but then said ah sure I'll wait til 2moro morning, get a ncie sleep, get up early , and then crack on!
    I nearly had heart failure when i went to do it haha !
    Do ya think He'll see our emails today seen as its the bank holiday ? or would it be 2moro would ya say ?

I don't know, to be honest. I'd hope he has better things to be doing on an Easter Monday!

Yeah I hope he has a life cos lets face it an extra day of going over those notes would be savage!

Ps I think your in my modern america module as well I vaguely remember you replying to my "oh crap wats the essay titles thread" haha

McNuggy10 wrote: »
    Yeah I hope he has a life cos lets face it an extra day of going over those notes would be savage!

Ps I think your in my modern america module as well I vaguely remember you replying to my "oh crap wats the essay titles thread" haha

Yeah, I'm a last-minute kinda guy. Next year will be different, I swear! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm a last-minute kinda guy. Next year will be different, I swear! :D

Story of my life haha! Think I decided I'm gonna go into his office in the morning, make it look like im making some sort of effort or something!
    if i Hear anything in the meantime from him i'll let ya know! :)
    Once again thanks for preventing my heart failure haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You are my lifesaver,

Love is in the air?:p

It's open again until 6pm tomorrow.

Regards,
    Your Lifesaver.

*swoon* haha thanks a mill dude!! :P
    Howd you get on in it?

250 out of 430. How about you?
    It was a tough exam, this kind of stuff really isn't my cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Mills' mcqs were always tough, when I did it we had to do the mcqs in the 2 our exam, if you want pressure try that one!:p Then doing the 3 medium and 1 long question. Ya's don't know how easy ye have it!;) Out of curiosity, what's his last exam like, is he still doing the earth's energy budget and Irish climate?

El Siglo wrote: »
    Mills' mcqs were always tough, when I did it we had to do the mcqs in the 2 our exam, if you want pressure try that one!:p Then doing the 3 medium and 1 long question. Ya's don't know how easy ye have it!;) Out of curiosity, what's his last exam like, is he still doing the earth's energy budget and Irish climate?

Wow, that would be tough alright. However, having to do two 45-min online MCQs does bring a unique pressure and your biggest danger is complacency really. It's hard to bring yourself to a mentally sharp state when you're your own invigilator and you're doing the exam in your bedroom!
    First MCQ was earth's energy budget among other things, second one was clouds, precipitation, mid-latitude cyclones etc.etc.

Wow, that would be tough alright. However, having to do two 45-min online MCQs does bring a unique pressure and your biggest danger is complacency really. It's hard to bring yourself to a mentally sharp state when you're your own invigilator and you're doing the exam in your bedroom!
    First MCQ was earth's energy budget among other things, second one was clouds, precipitation, mid-latitude cyclones etc.etc.

Yeh I was thinking that alright. He does the same stuff over and over again! Sound man though, really goes out of his way. Yeh it's tough doing an exam that way I suppose, I've done open book exams in my postgrad and they weren't easy. Is he still doing the final exam with the essay questions?
    The best exam essay question to do is on the Irish climate. The energy budget is tricky to remember (i.e. all the numbers, and it's very easy to get confused which is the last thing you want to be in an exam). If you read the general stuff on the Irish climate and throw in [URL="Climate Change in Ireland: Recent changes in Temperature and Precipitation' IRISH GEOGRAPHY"]this article from McElwain and Sweeney[/URL] with reference to the more up to date stuff from the 4th assessment report from the IPCC, 2007, you're guaranteed an A! Jaysus, I miss Climatology!

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yeh I was thinking that alright. He does the same stuff over and over again! Sound man though, really goes out of his way. Yeh it's tough doing an exam that way I suppose, I've done open book exams in my postgrad and they weren't easy. Is he still doing the final exam with the essay questions?
    The best exam essay question to do is on the Irish climate. The energy budget is tricky to remember (i.e. all the numbers, and it's very easy to get confused which is the last thing you want to be in an exam). If you read the general stuff on the Irish climate and throw in [URL="http://Climate Change in Ireland: Recent changes in Temperature and Precipitation' IRISH GEOGRAPHY"]this article from McElwain and Sweeney[/URL] with reference to the more up to date stuff from the 4th assessment report from the IPCC, 2007, you're guaranteed an A! Jaysus, I miss Climatology!

Fair play to you ES, thanks for the advice. Yeah, it's a one hour essay question exam. Should be ok and the pressure is off somewhat having almost passed already through the MCQs.
    Dunno how you miss Climatology though, it's all gobbledigook to me! I'm a human geographer through and through, I think...:D

Fair play to you ES, thanks for the advice. Yeah, it's a one hour essay question exam. Should be ok and the pressure is off somewhat having almost passed already through the MCQs.
    Dunno how you miss Climatology though, it's all gobbledigook to me! I'm a human geographer through and through, I think...:D

If you think that's gobbledygook, you should have a gander at what I have to do now!
    That's brilliant that's a one hour exam, the time will fly and makes things a lot easier, two hours was always a killer.
    Ah Millsy was always a legend at explaining things to us in an understanable manner, really made the hard science of it enjoyable. One thing I will say though, in the exam try and show him use examples of litterature that he wouldn't expect.
    Eg. say you're talking about the energy budget, you go into say radiative forcings and all that malarch (it's all in the 4th assessment report from the IPCC). Then take something like artic tundra (this is frozen peatland), which is massive, massive store or "resevoir" of methane (x400 more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2) and write a paragraph on how "increase melting of arctic tundra has the possiblty to act of releasing CH4 (he'd love the chemical symbol!) and this may act as a positive feedback mechanism for radiative forcing". There's tonnes of stuff on this. You could also say something like; "however, increased CO2 may promote increased photosynthesis of C3 and C4 vegative plants and this may act as a negative feedback for carbon sequestration" etc... stuff like that will definitely get ya an A, probably and A+.

250 out of 430. How about you?
    It was a tough exam, this kind of stuff really isn't my cup of tea.

yeh i was pretty much the same got 280/430
    But putting that with the other exam I'm 3 % from passing the module which is proper relief!!
    His MCQ's make me panic when im answering with the timer at the top and they're so complicated , It gets me in a fluster haha..

Have we even done that stuff though there with the Arctic Tundra?
    It sounds so complicated!! haha

Have we even done that stuff though there with the Arctic Tundra?
    It sounds so complicated!! haha

It's not too complicated, you're just describing a possible series of events, and if you haven't covered it all the better cos it shows you're thinking outside of the box. I'll put it to you like this, how many people will be doing the climo exam, 250 maybe? Anybody reading that more than 15 scripts will go google-eyed reading the same stuff. So throwing down something different will separate you from the heard. I might not know much, but it was exactly this that got me a good grade in climo and fluvial. Jaysus I really do miss climo!:D

Good luck in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I remember doing Climatology in 2nd year. Loved it!! Was raging I didn't get Topics in Climatology last semester. Mills' MCQs were always tough but good.

RosyLily wrote: »
    I remember doing Climatology in 2nd year. Loved it!! Was raging I didn't get Topics in Climatology last semester. Mills' MCQs were always tough but good.

ahh so the key to pleasing Mills is using references.. NOTED!!
    So like.. has he given any hints on the exam does anybody know?
    or is it gona be folowing his structure from this semester where he examines the material hes covered since the last MCQ? but in essay form this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dozer11

How you guys set for the exam? Bit of a strange structure!? 4 questions out of 8 then 1 question out of 4? What area you concentrating on. My focus in gonna be on energy budget and severe weather I think and of course Climate of Ireland which he said on numerous occasions will be on the exam! Cheers for the tips El Sligo. Very helpful indeed!

• Advertisement

dozer11 wrote: »
    How you guys set for the exam? Bit of a strange structure!? 4 questions out of 8 then 1 question out of 4? What area you concentrating on. My focus in gonna be on energy budget and severe weather I think and of course Climate of Ireland which he said on numerous occasions will be on the exam! Cheers for the tips El Sligo. Very helpful indeed!

Im having a bit of a panic.. I dont know the structure of the exam :(
    Obvz I know he said the Irish climate quite a bit but is it just going to be everythin covered since the last MCQ? or a what we've done overall type of thing??
    Im only like 2% away from passing but not knowing the structure is worrying and there's nothing on blackboard about it !! :confused:

Im having a bit of a panic.. I dont know the structure of the exam :(
    Obvz I know he said the Irish climate quite a bit but is it just going to be everythin covered since the last MCQ? or a what we've done overall type of thing??
    Im only like 2% away from passing but not knowing the structure is worrying and there's nothing on blackboard about it !! :confused:

There are two sections. The first section is worth 60 points - you have to answer 4 ques out of 8. The second section is worth 40 points - you answer 1 ques out of 4. Yea I agree there should be more detail about the exam on blackboard! He said he handed out sheets re. the exam but I never saw them and have been to the majority of lectures!! I think the exam covers everything we've covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

dozer11 wrote: »
    There are two sections. The first section is worth 60 points - you have to answer 4 ques out of 8. The second section is worth 40 points - you answer 1 ques out of 4. Yea I agree there should be more detail about the exam on blackboard! He said he handed out sheets re. the exam but I never saw them and have been to the majority of lectures!! I think the exam covers everything we've covered.

It's only an hour exam so i'm assuming Section 1 will be questions that require fairly short, to the point answers.

60mins/100points gives you a breakdown as follows

Section 1 - 36mins - 9mins per question.
    Section 2 - 24 mins.

I hope section 2 will be on climate change in Ireland.

Delighted with the paper, was very fair I thought!

Advertisement