Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hiring an aupair

Options
  • 05-04-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

after much thought, i want to get an aupair for a year starting september. id like to know peoples views/experiences please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 miss polly

Can be quite snappy with the kids and its also hard having someone in your house 24/7. Difficult trying to please her with food, days off etc.

Had two bad experiences but I had one brilliant one who was great with the kids (athough a little snappy) and was great doing housework although I never asked her! You could get a great one which is great but you could also get one that is disastrous! Spend a long time choosing!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

where did you find your au pairs miss polly?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Hi

I worked as an Au-Pair in Germany for one year in 1992. I loved it and I learnt so much about the language and culture there. There were a few other Au-pairs from Ireland, UK, Hungary and Finland in the same village. We are all still friends, two still live in the area having met & married locals!!

It is great if you get the right au-pair, but it can be awful if you dont.

Things like days off, hours per day, whether housework is included or not. I know, from my own experience, that I would work 6 days a week and one weekend night where the parents went out. my flights home for holidays etc were paid for by the family. I took care of the younger children while they older ones were in school and cooked dinner and did housework.

There are some agencies that link up Au-pairs with families.
    However it was 1992 and a lot has changed then and it was me going to a foreign country, dont know if it helps much but I loved my year as an au-pair!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 miss polly

Got my first one through the Shamrock Aupair Agency. The next one was the first girls sister and the next girl was a friend of theirs. The first two only came for the summer months but the last one stayed for a year, she was brilliant. I would get one again if I was guranteed someone good.

Advertisement