Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie paramedic recruitment help!

• 05-04-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey there fellas,

Im a paramedic in australia and was thinking of moving to Ireland. As a base qualification we have a diploma of paramedical science but I have my degree of paramedicine which is a 3 year degree we can study at university.

I was wondering about recruuitment into ambulance over there. Do you think that i would have to do any training a If so is their many jobs for paramedics out there?

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hey there fellas,

Im a paramedic in australia and was thinking of moving to Ireland. As a base qualification we have a diploma of paramedical science but I have my degree of paramedicine which is a 3 year degree we can study at university.

I was wondering about recruuitment into ambulance over there. Do you think that i would have to do any training a If so is their many jobs for paramedics out there?

Thanks for your input.

PHECC, the Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council are the statuatory body who over see all pre hospital care in Ireland. www.phecc.ie will redirect you to their site.

Take a look at the 2007 educational requirements, although some aussie Paras became A/Ps here it depends on what you studied. Contact them for more details on crossing over.

In regards job you must apply to the HSE, Irelands health service when they recruit. You will have to complete an app test and an interview. Also you must have a C1 and D1 licence to cover you to drive a mini bus and small rigid truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Are you crazy or something?.

Moving to Ireland to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aussieparamedic

thanks for the reply,

My fiance is Irish and lives over here with me but she is homesick and wants to move back there. We wont be coming over for a while so hopefully things will get better.

One other question : Wat is a C1/D1 license? its probably just called something else over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

thanks for the reply,

My fiance is Irish and lives over here with me but she is homesick and wants to move back there. We wont be coming over for a while so hopefully things will get better.

One other question : Wat is a C1/D1 license? its probably just called something else over here?
    C1 license is the license you need to get over here to drive a small truck most people apply for the C license as this gives you the C and the C1 and it cost the same for the test and the lesson this also applies to the D1 which is the minibus license but people do the full D as you get your D1 as well. Hope this helps if not check out www.rsa.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 medicfar

1,your licence is no good
    2, so you will have to do a theory test
    3,than six months waiting before you can do the B test for a car
    4, then another theory test and another six months waiting before you can do the c1 test
    5, and the same for d1
    one to two years before you can apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Presumably if you have the relevant category on a foreign licence, you can still get it converted when you come to Ireland. I know several people who have done this in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

thanks for the reply,

Would you not look at moving to UK as a compromise between the two of you? Might be better chance of getting recruited there and their economy will not be as bad as Irish for as long .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

medicfar wrote: »
    4, then another theory test and another six months waiting before you can do the c1 test
    5, and the same for d1

nope Australian licence can be converted easily

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

5, and the same for d1

You dont need to wait 6 months after the theory test before applying for a C or D licence test, its only the B licence that has the wait.

@ The OP, Have you got intouch with phecc to see what equivalancy they would offer with your current austrailian qualifications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 COS1

5, and the same for d1

I done my C test on the wednesday and my D1 on the friday of the same week, withen 2 months of applying for for both theory tests. Anyway all he has to do is fill in a form, hand in his Aussie licence for an Irish one, its that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Damo68

First off When you exchange your license you can keep your C but not you D1.
    This will not transfer and they will only tell you this when you submit your license. Trust me I was in the Motor Taxation Office yesterday trying to get my D1 from my UK license onto my Irish.
    Second and take this with a pinch of salt or a handfull maybe. Don't get me wrong I was born and raised in this country and it is a great place to visit but Irish women have been the ruination of men for years. I lived in Australia for three years. Do not fool yourself into thinking that if you move here later on down the line things will be better.
    Ireland hasn't come close to the downward spiral of destruction that it is facing. Things will never be the same again in this country. I am 50 yrs old so I have seen bad times in Ireland but this time we're F**ked.
    I know at least four Aussies that followed the scent of the Irish lass to it's green shores and they get knocked up dig in the hooks and hang onto mammy's coat tails.
    the fact that your shelia is homesick should be an early warning sign, earth to Aussie, bail out. Don't move to Ireland. If you want kids in the future think of them, you don't want them growing up in the damp and misery that keeps this land green. come on holidays, enjoy the crack then piss off home.
    There is not a lass in this fine country that is worth moving here for.
    Remember " He who dips his stick, must pay for the oil"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 COS1

What a load of Nonsense.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

Damo68 wrote: »
    First off When you exchange your license you can keep your C but not you D1.
    This will not transfer and they will only tell you this when you submit your license. Trust me I was in the Motor Taxation Office yesterday trying to get my D1 from my UK license onto my Irish.
    Second and take this with a pinch of salt or a handfull maybe. Don't get me wrong I was born and raised in this country and it is a great place to visit but Irish women have been the ruination of men for years...................................

..................the fact that your shelia is homesick should be an early warning sign, earth to Aussie, bail out. Don't move to Ireland. If you want kids in the future think of them, you don't want them growing up in the damp and misery that keeps this land green. come on holidays, enjoy the crack then piss off home.
    There is not a lass in this fine country that is worth moving here for.
    Remember " He who dips his stick, must pay for the oil"

what????????:confused:
    he didn't ask for your miserable 'dr phil' advice!

the answer is already posted above,

checkout the phecc website - phecit.ie - there may be an exam, but hopefully it should be straight forward.
    phecc will tell you what level you would be accepted as(paramedic or advanced paramedic) and might give you advice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit
    with respect to your driver licence, see the citizen info site, they are a great source of info on tax, and work permits etc too

the ambulance service is still under staffed, keep an eye out for recruitment on careersinhealthcare.ie ~(i think)

good luck with the move,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

5, and the same for d1

wrong. 6 month wait is only for B category, no waiting for other categories.

wrong again. australian licence is "good" and can be exchanged here as there is an agreement to recognise it as an equivalent licence for 12 month duration, and thereafter (before the 12 month expiry) be swapped for an Irish one. make sure it's a manual (i.e. stick-shift) licence though as one restricted to Autos won't be accepted.

Advertisement