Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Army Manoeuvres 1940

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Great find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

We could hardly muster that much today?

And what's with the German Helmets and the Tommy Helmets for the artillery guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Hey, I'm pretty sure I recognise those blankets and sheets! :D Same one's I used the last time I was in the currage! :P

Yeah there was a wicked bed block in that second vid. Brought me all out in a sweat!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

You think that's bad? I was using one of those handcarts last week!!!

• Advertisement

LMAO. Good thing I was'n holding a pint/short/warm hot sweet brew. Great clips for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Interesting the way they were "talking up" the army in the first video. Reminded me of one about the Aircorps where they had footage of some Hurricanes (I think) and a similar plummy voice

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Brilliant! Great vid, love the narration! Anyone know what the eqpt. carried in 1:24 is it some form of early Anti Armour or is it just part of the MG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Nearly fell over laughing at the peakers on top of gas masks!

I'm nearly certain the classroom at 2.25 is in the building beside ADR HQ while the calisthenics class looks like it's taking place on the square (now carpark) between the armoury and Connolly Barracks. Haircuts/shearing possibly taking place in the barracks up by the Cadet School.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

gbee wrote: »
    We could hardly muster that much today?

And what's with the German Helmets and the Tommy Helmets for the artillery guys?
    The 'German' helmets were British made copies as worn pre-war. They soon acquired British helmets for obvious reasons. Clearly the Gunners had had theirs issued but not the infantry.
    You think that's bad? I was using one of those handcarts last week!!!
    I remember using them back in the 1980s. They must be be longest serving piece of equipment in the army. They were used to carry the Vickers HMG. But obviously have gone through several reincarnations since. Also we were still using the Tommy helmets back then. The induction and training film looks horribly familiar. Even the uniforms in the FCA when I joined were similar.

Great find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement