Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

query about depression

Options
  • 05-04-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

Are there physical symptoms with depression? i.e. like knots in the stomach etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

For me it does. I get headaches and nausea when I'm bad...but I can't speak for everyone.

www.aware.ie has some great information that's worth checking out if you think you're depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

Personally i suffered with aches & pains all over my body , but I also associated that with long periods of inactivity , ie lying at home on the sofa for days / weeks & not eating properly .
    I can also suffer a 'nervous tummy' at times of stress, anxiety.
    Depression can have physical symptoms, but its also important to discuss these physical ills with your GP, just to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks i'm just wondering because a friend of mine suffers from depression and is going through a bad patch at the mo. We were out the other day and she said that she felt like there was something on her skin - like she had a cloak over her? I knew she just wanted to go home and go to bed.
    I had never heard of this before.. but she says its probably just as a result of her depression. Can anyone relate to this? I would like to understand better so I can support her better..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

sporina wrote: »
    thanks i'm just wondering because a friend of mine suffers from depression and is going through a bad patch at the mo. We were out the other day and she said that she felt like there was something on her skin - like she had a cloak over her? I knew she just wanted to go home and go to bed.
    I had never heard of this before.. but she says its probably just as a result of her depression. Can anyone relate to this? I would like to understand better so I can support her better..

I guess it could be like feeling a 'weight on your shoulders' . in her case perhaps she feels the misery/darkness/loneliness etc enveloping her. I would be very lethargic , it can nearly feel like something physically holding you down.

Support her by making sure she is getting the helps she needs , from her GP / counsellor , medications. Remind her of the good times, encourage going for walks etc , remind her she wont always feel like this she will get better . Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

Signs/ Symptons depression:

• you can’t sleep or you sleep too much
    • you can’t concentrate or find that previously easy tasks are now
    difficult
    • you feel hopeless and helpless
    • you can’t control your negative thoughts, no matter how much
    you try
    • you have lost your appetite or you can’t stop eating
    • you are much more irritable and short-tempered than usual
    • you have thoughts that life is not worth living (Seek help
    immediately if this is the case)

Common signs and symptoms of depression
    • Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. A bleak outlook—
    nothing will ever get better and there’s nothing you can do to
    improve your situation.
    • Loss of interest in daily activities. No interest in former hobbies,
    pastimes, social activities, or sex. You’ve lost your ability to feel
    joy and pleasure.
    • Appetite or weight changes. Significant weight loss or weight
    gain—a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month.
    • Sleep changes. Either insomnia, especially waking in the early
    hours of the morning, or oversleeping (also known as
    hypersomnia).
    • Irritability or restlessness. Feeling agitated, restless, or on
    edge. Your tolerance level is low; everything and everyone gets on
    your nerves.
    • Loss of energy. Feeling fatigued, sluggish, and physically drained.
    Your whole body may feel heavy, and even small tasks are
    exhausting or take longer to complete.
    • Self-loathing. Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. You harshly
    criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
    • Concentration problems. Trouble focusing, making decisions, or
    remembering things.
    • Unexplained aches and pains. An increase in physical complaints
    such as headaches, back pain, aching muscles, and stomach pain

Advertisement