Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the hell happened to Irish Dancing?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

guardian.co.uk

credible - that is irish dancing competitions.

Not real irish dancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I was never a huge Irish Dancing fan. I remember being made to do it in school and was never really good at it. I wanted to do ballet instead but they weren't having any of it. :rolleyes:

That said, I saw an amazing display of Irish dancing at a friend's wedding last year. The bride was a teacher of it and some of the girls she taught came and danced at her wedding and what a fantastic show they put on. I was highly impressed.

However, I agree with the costumes. I used to love the old costumes with the beautiful embroidery and celtic designs. They look so tacky and horrible now and the business with the wigs is just unreal. Most girls have beautiful hair and they should be allowed to show it off and look individual, not look like curly-headed clones of each other.

It is a big part of our heritage and it's great that it's still going strong but seriously....sort them costumes out!

Jen ;->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Men? Look at all the totty you can chat up!

By the time you fight your way through their families to get chatting, it's time to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Aviva_Lasvagas

For me, Irish dancing was never the same after Graham Norton (Acting the Preist) and his youth group were seen dancing in that caravan in Farther Ted – OP, I think you have your answer now... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

It just looks ridiculous now. Some of the girls in the guardian feature look like they are trying to crash one of the really tacky traveller weddings.

I don't doubt that it is still popular and that the girls who take part are talented, but it looks like the kiddie pagents in the US now. Any parents with an ounce of sense should be leading the backlash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Irish dancing is a martial art invented by the IRA:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Riverdance happened and brought that sh*t mainstream
    I think its great. So do a lot of people, judging by the way four times the population of the country have paid hard earned cash to see the show the world over. Speaking of the which, thirty two nations joined in that competition. I think the art will survive the AH treatment to be honest. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

From an American newspaper.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/2010/03/world-irish-dance-championship.html

Whats with al of the didgy wigs? Does it make them look like Irish cailíni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Those pictures. I wasn't sure I was looking at a dancing competition or a mass knacker wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's all Flatleys fault.
    Good News, Everyone! He's Back. Lord Of The Dance returns to Dublin in November.

I wonder if they'll let me backstage with a big bag of marbles ..? I'm with Leary on this one :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Seeing Riverdance live is brilliant, mind you, I saw them as part of a bigger show, so they only did a short slot. Don't think I could sit through two hours of it though.

Strange this thread's just been bumped, I was literally just watching a sean nos dancer on youtube, I much prefer it to Flatley's version of 'Irish dancing'. This is what Irish dancing should be, not an orange bloke prancing round at the front with hundreds of dancers behind him dancing their arses off.

Starts about 2mins 10secs in.

Not bad looking either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

know a lad who won the world championships in Irish dancing a few times. He's convinced that winning it makes him more Irish than all of us. it is headwrecking cos he thinks that if you don't like irish dancing then you don't appreciate Irish culture. Have no idea what the pink shirts and waistcoats are about, it's like a cheesier version of strictly ballroom (if that's possible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

brummytom wrote: »
    Not bad looking either

I much prefer the woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

God, those new costumes are pretty awful! :eek:

I used to dance competitively as a child, and really enjoyed it. None of my daughters dance competitively, though those who are interested can dance - I just refuse to have them participate in the "fashion farce" that the whole thing has become, and the expense is ridiculous.

It's a pity, really - Irish dancing is great exercise, and pretty good for learning self-discipline, as well. You'd be amazed how long it can take to perfect some of the steps to a decent standard.

Noreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

axer wrote: »
    Anyone know of any Irish dancing classes in Blanchardstown or close by?

You could take a look here if you're still looking. I think Eileen Fagan, who is listed there, is based in that area, knowing her through other things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

I love irish dancing, well to be more precise sean nos and set dancing..

Set Dancing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWdd1P9kcKE

Sean Nos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZLA5q1EfA

Theres nothing Oirish or plastic about them, they represent just as much of irish culture as trad music does..

That competitive step dancing a pile of shíte though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My mum told me about the wigs and the fake tan a few weeks ago and I was speechless, especially when she said that they're marked down for not looking like Oompa-Loompas.

Kids have enough time to grow up and make their own fashion mistakes. The only shred of hope that I can cling to is that they'll associate fake tan with being forced to do stuff as a kid, and they'll grow into normal coloured young adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

axer wrote: »
    Anyone know of any Irish dancing classes in Blanchardstown or close by?

The O'Shea school in Scoil Oilibhéir in Coolmine is one of the best known. She trained a lot of the Riverdance lot.

Have to agree with a lot of the sentiments about make-up and fake tan. My two youngest daughters dance competitively and it makes me sick to see them at 10 and 12 with wigs, tan and make-up on. This is all the fault of the Americans. They take to any competitive activity and look for any competitive edge. Many Irish families can't compete, but they still try their darndest, and end up with their kids looking like the previously mentioned oompa loompas. Many of the Feis results are fixed with adjudicators awarding prizes to Teachers' own children, rather than the best dancers. My 12 year-old has been dancing for 8 years and has never beaten her own teacher's child, even though she's danced better on many occasions (not my opinion, but that of her teacher and other parents).

I long for the day when she quits. Her older brother has already switched to Athletics.

Riverdance was good, though...:D

Flatley and Butler have an immense stage presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Have to agree with a lot of the sentiments about make-up and fake tan. My two youngest daughters dance competitively and it makes me sick to see them at 10 and 12 with wigs, tan and make-up on. This is all the fault of the Americans. They take to any competitive activity and look for any competitive edge. Many Irish families can't compete, but they still try their darndest, and end up with their kids looking like the previously mentioned oompa loompas.
    I wouldn't blame anyone except the judges. After all, they should be judging the dancing, not what they look like; it's not a beauty competition. If I were a parent with a child in dancing I'd be up in arms.

Advertisement