Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: Alice Milligan (1866-1953)

Options
  • 05-04-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    I'm currently finishing cataloguing a collection of Alice Milligan's papers and was just wondering do people remember or know who she is?
    Also has anyone heard of a Rev. Peader Mac Loingsigh , Dunnabib? (is this right?), Castlefin, Donegal c. 1940's. And is there a place called Marth or Barth Hill, Ballymore, Donegal (this particular letter is dated 1909). Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Hi,
    I'm currently finishing cataloguing a collection of Alice Milligan's papers and was just wondering do people remember or know who she is?
    Also has anyone heard of a Rev. Peader Mac Loingsigh , Dunnabib? (is this right?), Castlefin, Donegal c. 1940's. And is there a place called Marth or Barth Hill, Ballymore, Donegal (this particular letter is dated 1909). Thanks.

Marble Hill is near Dunfanaghy. Sorry I don't know about Alice or the Rev.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

on the main road just before the turn off to Marable Hill there is a Church, i think Church of Ireland, its called Ballymore Church

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Also has anyone heard of a Rev. Peader Mac Loingsigh , Dunnabib? (is this right?), Castlefin, Donegal c. 1940's.
    That would probably be Doneyloop or Dunnaloob as referred to on OS maps. Its about 2 miles from Castlefinn beside the Tyrone (N.I.) border.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Hi

check out the http://www.edmundrice.ie/erc_dublin.html

The Allen Library is based there and have a whole archive on Alice, some very interesting stuff. You must make an appointment to view the material as it is only open to researchers and not the general public. The Lady that works there is currenty working on the Alice and could provide you with plenty of info. An amazing lady by all accounts.

Good luck with your research

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

muffler wrote: »
    That would probably be Doneyloop or Dunnaloob as referred to on OS maps. Its about 2 miles from Castlefinn beside the Tyrone (N.I.) border.

And that's probably where that priest lived in the parochial house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sinnomore

Bligh wrote: »
    Hi

check out the http://www.edmundrice.ie/erc_dublin.html

The Allen Library is based there and have a whole archive on Alice, some very interesting stuff. You must make an appointment to view the material as it is only open to researchers and not the general public. The Lady that works there is currenty working on the Alice and could provide you with plenty of info. An amazing lady by all accounts.

Good luck with your research

On Bligh's recommendation, I spoke with this amazing lady in the Allen Library and wholeheartedly agree!

I was sorry to hear that she will soon be made redundant, but she can be sure that Tyrone would welcome an archivist of her calibre. I wonder if she has been introduced to the wonders of the North West?

As for Alice, well maybe you could both keep the Boards informed of the progress on the research being undertaken. Locally, we would be interested in any forthcoming exhibitions of her work or her personal effects.

Keep up the good work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Alice Milligan

Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to say thank you for all your help, appreciate it. The catalogue is nearly complete approx 85 pages!! It would be wonderful if it was exhibited sometime. What I was curious to know is has anyone in Donegal any clue who she is? Although not from Donegal it was one of her favourite places and the collection contains some sketches of places in Donegal. Some of her stories are set in Donegal and she had a number of friends also from there. Has this poet/playright/author/nationalist been completely forgotten?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wiblick

The National Library of Ireland, on Kildare Street Dublin is currently hosting an exhibition about Alice Milligan, in No's 2&3, the Discover space, next door to Alliance Francaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Alice Milligan

I've seen the exhibition and was disappointed that they did not ask to use anything from the collection I worked on. Although privately owned it will hopefully be given to the State.
    It's an amazing archival collection not just about Alice but about the literary & cultural movement at the time as well as political issues such as the Boar War, arrests after 1916 Rising etc. Has anyone else seen the exhibition and what did the think of it?

Advertisement