Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novatel Wireless MiFi / Vodaphone probs

Options
  • 05-04-2010 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I recently acquired the above MiFi unit. I live 'up north' & it worked easily there with a friends 3 sim on coming down south for Easter & bought a Vodaphone sim to allow me a MiFi hotspot when here but I can't get to work despite the best efforts of staff at vodaphone/Gorey. When trying it out with the 3 sim i did not set up any APN details - should I need these with Vodaphone? & if so what re they? or is there something else I might be missing? Everything can get to the MiFi but it can't get the net. Thanks in anticipation.
    k :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭missyfirefly

bigbadk wrote: »
    I recently acquired the above MiFi unit. I live 'up north' & it worked easily there with a friends 3 sim on coming down south for Easter & bought a Vodaphone sim to allow me a MiFi hotspot when here but I can't get to work despite the best efforts of staff at vodaphone/Gorey. When trying it out with the 3 sim i did not set up any APN details - should I need these with Vodaphone? & if so what re they? or is there something else I might be missing? Everything can get to the MiFi but it can't get the net. Thanks in anticipation.
    k :(

Do you use mobilink connection manager with this or just the router homepage?

Are you required to enter Voda's APn anywhere etc... I'd imagine you'd need to enter this somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bigbadk

I just use the router home page - yes it does say there to set the APN (though using the 3 card it worked w/o) and I have tried to enter APN details I found on another part of this site w/o success. The staff at the shop had no idea what APN was!

I've never seen one of these so I don't know the procedure on how to set one of these up, so forgive my ignorance in advance.

Which model is it? According to novatels site diff routers have different nets listed.

Does it unlock the sim? Or do you have this pin disabled already?

Is there a diff APN depending on billpay/prepay?

Can you post up all the details that it's lookng for a we'll see if we can figure it out?

thanks, http://www.novatelwireless.com/mifi is the link to the site, as I said when I got it i just popped the 3 sim into it and it just worked, very well. You can use up to five wifi devices on it. I bought a Vodaphone PAYG sim in Gorey to use it whilst here for my laptop, iPhone etc but i just can't get it to connect to the net. The instructions do say to set up the APN settings first but no matter what I tried it would not connect, though if you know what I should be inserting then I shall try it. It is disappointing as it worked so easily in Belfast & I know it works, a guy I know uses it & has just gone to UA, bought a sim there and it works perfectly - its probably just some simple setting I need but I just can't figure it. AFAIK the sim is not locked. The model I have is the 2353
    tia
    -ken

Can you use the internet with the sim in your iphone?
    Is it a standard voda prepay sim or is a prepay mobile broadband sim?

Are these the apn settings you used?
    APN: hs.vodafone.ie
    Username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

• Advertisement

I believe it is a new prepay sim with a data bundle - if that makes sense. And those are the settings have tried.

Advertisement