Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband to go - several questions

Options
  • 05-04-2010 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

could anybody tell me something about Broadband to go in Cork? I am from Germany and will do a placement there for 6 weeks. Afterwards I want to travel around in Ireland for 2 weeks.
    I had a look at Meteor, Three, Vodafone and 02 and my choice would be the Meteor 30 day pass, because it's the cheapest with the best conditions (19.99 Euro, 7.5 GB) I think. Does anybody has a better idea?

What is about the signal in Cork? Are there any problems?
    And what happens when my 7.5 GB are used up before the 30 days have ended?
    Do I understand it right, that there are really no contracts? I will just buy the stick for 19.99 Euro, top up for 19.99 Euro and then I can use it for 30 days to use 7.5 GB?
    Sorry for my unprofessional questions, but I am really a layperson in things like that. :confused:

What is about Skype? Is it allowed or is it blocked when you use it with the broadband stick from Meteor?

I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance,

Julia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭missyfirefly

Julia198 wrote: »
    Hi all,

could anybody tell me something about Broadband to go in Cork? I am from Germany and will do a placement there for 6 weeks. Afterwards I want to travel around in Ireland for 2 weeks.
    I had a look at Meteor, Three, Vodafone and 02 and my choice would be the Meteor 30 day pass, because it's the cheapest with the best conditions (19.99 Euro, 7.5 GB) I think. Does anybody has a better idea?

Pre-pay Mobile Broadband is Definately the way to go but which one depends greatly on what you need it for and the Coverage in areas you are going to.
    What is about the signal in Cork? Are there any problems?

This all depends on where you are - it's very difficult to make general sweeping statements about particular areas as it is different for everyone.
    If you know where you are staying in Cork check meteors website for coverage in that location. Be advised that Meteor are new to mobile broadband in ireland so they do not have nationwide coverage for mobile broadband- this might influence your decision when it comes to travelling around Ireland at the later part of your trip. All providers have coverage maps that will give you an indictation of coverage that are worth checking out. FYI - Meteors coverage map is really difficult to read... Way too much Orange!!!
    And what happens when my 7.5 GB are used up before the 30 days have ended?

Top-up and Choose another Pass me thinks...
    Do I understand it right, that there are really no contracts? I will just buy the stick for 19.99 Euro, top up for 19.99 Euro and then I can use it for 30 days to use 7.5 GB?

You're correct - No contracts, no obligations.
    Sorry for my unprofessional questions, but I am really a layperson in things like that. confused.gif

No Bother - Everyday's a school day!
    What is about Skype? Is it allowed or is it blocked when you use it with the broadband stick from Meteor?

Skype works for meteor however again this all depends on the coverage you get.

Have a good trip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Julia198

Hey, thank you very much! Your reply is really very helpful!

Regards,
    Julia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,

I was just wondering are these refurbished broadband devices for €20 worth getting or are Meteor and the like just trying to get rid of them becasue there maybe a fault with them

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭missyfirefly

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering are these refurbished broadband devices for €20 worth getting or are Meteor and the like just trying to get rid of them becasue there maybe a fault with them

I'd say there's probably a certain element of this but refurbs I thought are modems that were returned because of coverage and not because of an actual dodgy dongle.

They're then tested and repackaged, and resold at a cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I was looking at this today and Im a bit confused/disappointed.

I was looking for a mobile bband setup where I could top up like a phone and not be restricted to a time period.

I understand the data restriction but I would like to have say, 20 euro credit and be able to use that when ever I need it and not have to use it within a certain time period. The same as a mobile phone.

It seems I can only find day, week and month passes.
    I thought I was close with Three, but then realised the prices were pounds and I was on .co.uk :(

I may be missing something though.

EDIT:
    I think I did miss something. I get the impression from Meteors website that if I top up by 20 I dont have to put a day pass or anything. I can just pay for what I use and whenever I need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Gazmantoo

You can top-up your credit by however much you like, but you then have to decide how to 'activate' your credit.
    Lets say you topped up by €20...

You can now either use €2.99 of that €20 credit to buy a 1 day pass for internet surfing, (but this has a download limit of 500mb during that day)

or...

You can use the whole €20 credit in one go to buy a 30 day pass for internet surfing (this has a download limit of 7.5gb during that 30 day period).

Obviously, if you will use the internet every day, you get much better value by using your €20 credit to by a 30 day pass.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

If you use up your 7.5GB before the 30days are up meteor do not let you buy another one until the 30days are gone by since buying the add-on ..
    if your travelling around ireland meteor wouldnt have the best coverage at all if your over more in the west of the country there is virtually no 3G signal from meteor only EDGE or even worse some areas are only GPRS (Very slow ) however if you can get a good enough 3G signal meteor would be the fastest out of all networks as they have alot less customers than the other 3 networks ..the best for 3G coverage around ireland would be

1>Vodafone have the best and most covered areas here
    2>3 would be second best for 3G signal
    3>o2 doesnt have alot of 3G yet but in alotof areas they do

its very hard to pick when it comes to mobile broadband but id suggest maybe you just go for meteor as they are best value if you don't use more than 7.5GB in a month you should be fine ...also skype should be ok on meteor once you have A 3G signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The OP asked this question back in April, and needed it for short term, so I'd doubt this is needed to be answered any more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement