Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McAfee Renewal Value

• 05-04-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I've had McAfee on my computer for the last 4 years , I think it must have been part of the package when I bought it.

It is expiring today and when I click on the icon it says the price for the year is 39.99 sterling.

It seems expensive to me. Is there better value options out there ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Definitely remove it from your PC, go to settings and add/remove programs

After you have got rid of it then use one of the excellent free anti-virus programs

AntiVir/Avast/AVG

Make sure its one of those actual names, there are a lot of fake ones out there. Best place to get them from is www.download.com.

Personally I like Avast.. can be put into silent/gaming mode.. and it isn't a big system hog like McAfee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

McAfee can dig its heels in and be a bugger to remove, use the McAfee removal tool to make sure all traces are gone after You remove it in add/remove programs
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/McAfee-Consumer-Product-Removal-Tool.shtml

I recommend Avast also, best of the free ones out there. Avast will ask You to register with Your email on setup, but is still free and they won't spam You.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Avast-Home-Edition.shtml

You'd be suprised how much quicker Your pc will be without McAfee, its an absolute hog of program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Definitely remove it from your PC, go to settings and add/remove programs

After you have got rid of it then use one of the excellent free anti-virus programs

AntiVir/Avast/AVG

Make sure its one of those actual names, there are a lot of fake ones out there. Best place to get them from is www.download.com.

Personally I like Avast.. can be put into silent/gaming mode.. and it isn't a big system hog like McAfee

That’s a bit more like it :) Didn't know you could get it for free.

Probably a silly question but would the free anti virus protect Microsoft email as well

Avira Antivirus seems to be the most popular, anyone have experience of using this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Barr wrote: »
    That’s a bit more like it :) Didn't know you could get it for free.

Probably a silly question but would the free anti virus protect Microsoft email as well

Avira Antivirus seems to be the most popular, anyone have experience of using this?

Avira has pop ups asking you to purchase the full version which are annoying, but they can be disabled if you look up how.

If you are using Windows 7 or Vista then MS Security Essentials would be another free one to look at.

Avast has various "shields" including an email shield, for POP3 mail clients like Outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Avira has pop ups asking you to purchase the full version which are annoying, but they can be disabled if you look up how.

If you are using Windows 7 or Vista then MS Security Essentials would be another free one to look at.

Avast has various "shields" including an email shield, for POP3 mail clients like Outlook.

Meant to say I have windows Vista if that makes any difference.

How does MS Security Essentials compare to say Avast ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

I also have windows vista, had trouble with with virus while using McAfee so dell recomended I uninstall McAfee and install AVG. No problems since, clean as a whistle and free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They're both very good, but Avast has an email scanner that integrates into outlook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Co-incidentally I've just setup a PC for my parents. One of the first things I always do is remove whatever anti virus program is installed and install Avast. I used to be a fan of AVG but a few years ago I noticed it started to be a resource hog so I switched to Avast. Anyone know if AVG is still resource-intensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I'd say Avast, Avira (bar nagging screen), and MS Security Essentials are all fairly even. AVG has gone down a bit in recent years.

Whatever one you choose, you might install Spybot Search and Destroy as well. Schedule it to do a scan very second week or so.

All in all the threat of Viruses and Malware is massively overrated. The best bet is to go with an AV that stays quiet and doesn't slow your system down. MS Security Essentials or Avast would be my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I find it very good, have it running on a few computers, it's well worth a look as it's completely free, you don't have to upgrade it and you won't be asked to pay any money at all...
    To shift all the old anti virus off your computer use app remover, you can download it here for free
    http://www.appremover.com/

once you've the anti virus removed reboot your computer and download ms security essentials, http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

All this is completely free ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

+1 for Microsoft Security essestials. Very light on resources and works well. No annoying popups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

The best free antivirus programs around at the moment (as already suggested) are Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast Home and Avira Antivir...it was also suggested earlier to install Spybot, however, you might want to have a look at the free version of Malwarebytes...

Advertisement