Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Notes

• 05-04-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up regading fake notes in circulation. I got petrol in Tesco Ardkeen this morning and went to pay gave the girl a €50 note. Couldn't believe when she told me it was a fake. Fairly embarrassing as the place was packed but fair dues to the girl for copping it.

Even more embarrassing was the gardai were called.

So just be careful and make sure you check all your notes as according to the Garda there are a load of these in circulation and I can assure you its not a nice feeling when you get stung unwittingly by one of these.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i got stung with one of my customers at work as i work as a sales rep and was out of pocket fifthy yoyo,s because it had to come out of my pocket when lodging end of day cash sales in the post office and it was only copped in the post office while lodging it!!! was majorly embarrassed as i use the same post office on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I know how you feel - especially when I had 2 cops questioning me in front of a full shop - and people I knew passing in and out - God knows what they thought - Luckily the Tesco security man was sound and put me at ease about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Can I ask where you got the 50 Euro ie was it from a bank machine or from a shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

About six months back I got one in the post office in Poleberry , Noticed it when I got home , when back and demanded they change it and they did [after a bit of debate] , OK if I got it in the general public fair enough I'm stuck , But from a post office ,Bank etc not having it ,
    Ps I was lucky 9/10 times I don't think people would be so lucky.:D

Roanmore wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got the 50 Euro ie was it from a bank machine or from a shop?

No problem, I was in England last week and had some sterling left over - my father is going over next week so he swapped it with me - €100 in total (2x €50) - one was fine but as I'm not an expert in spotting these I didnt know the difference - the father hasnt a clue where he got it either - as it was his 70th a few weeks back he got a few bob for that so he reckons it could easily have been given to him for that but to be honest it could have come from anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Piratez

Very easy it can happen and I would say passed on by some other unsuspecting person.

Piratez wrote: »
    Very easy it can happen and I would say passed on by some other unsuspecting person.

Yip, the big problem is that they are not checked by some businesses when they are presented.When they do eventually cop them a lot of the time they are put back into the system as they will then be at the loss for the money - so its a viscious circle.

Big problem for you and me is that they are hard to cop and how many of us actually check for them anyway

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Yip, the big problem is that they are not checked by some businesses when they are presented.When they do eventually cop them a lot of the time they are put back into the system as they will then be at the loss for the money - so its a viscious circle.

Big problem for you and me is that they are hard to cop and how many of us actually check for them anyway

+ 1

I would hate to hand one over and then be pulled aside. Surely every business should check these.
    Slightly OT but in Dungarvan today checked 4 bank machines and all said they could only dispense €50 notes, what is all that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

A friend of mine will always insist that his change is checked before accepting it. He reckons its only fair that a retailer be transparent in their dealings.

It can be funny, particularly in a pub where he's not known, for him to have a heated debate with the person serving him who is refusing to scan his change.

wexfjord wrote: »
    A friend of mine will always insist that his change is checked before accepting it. He reckons its only fair that a retailer be transparent in their dealings.

It can be funny, particularly in a pub where he's not known, for him to have a heated debate with the person serving him who is refusing to scan his change.

He's right considering my experience today - wouldn't wish it on anyone - can you imagine what everyone thought!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Roanmore wrote: »
    + 1

I would hate to hand one over and then be pulled aside. Surely every business should check these.
    Slightly OT but in Dungarvan today checked 4 bank machines and all said they could only dispense €50 notes, what is all that about?

i've noticed a lot of ATM'S have gone that way the last while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was we told by the cops that a dud can't come out of a bank machine as they have gone through the bank system.

In Ardkeen a few people who handed in forged notes blamed the machines in store.

In relation to the €50 only available in the bank machines, it's just that they haven't been filled up yet, you'd be shocked how much cash those things take but they don't show up as needing filling until they are empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

its very easy though to spot them if you look closely
    the one i was given none of the security features matched up when looked at through holding it up infront of some light and the water mark is weird also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha your father scabbed ya. Luckily Im poor so dont have to worry about dud 50's

seanybiker wrote: »
    ha ha your father scabbed ya. Luckily Im poor so dont have to worry about dud 50's

Yeah, was wondering why he bought that printer a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭suirfire

Hi Guys the best way to check if its a fake or not is to turn it over to back (the side with the map of Europe on it ) and in the bottom right hand corner u will see a shine 50 if u turn the note back and forth the 50 should change colour from purple ish to black its a quick and easy way of checking them

there is a lot of fakes going around

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

What were the guards like? Were they understanding or were they implying you were circulating fake money?

On a positive not I knew a few people back in the day that used to photocopy a few notes and tie them to some sting and pull it along a people tried to pick it up hilarious to watch. I heard of someone getting in serious trouble with the guards for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Getting stuck with a dud €50 is unusual.

Normally you don't get a €50 as change. I mean, how often do you ever spend a €100 note?

Whenever I go to the pub I always spend my 'big' money first, when I haven't a drink on me. That way if there is a dispute over the change (whether a dud or just the wrong change) they can't say I was drunk.

I doubt I use much more than €200 cash a month now anyway. I use my cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

seanybiker wrote: »

I hear ya. I counted out some change the other day cause I didn't wanna break a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You can be sure anyone working with money everyday will use the scratch test. In the top middle of the note there is a rectangle. Try scratch this area from left to right and you should feel and hear ridges.

We have never had a fake note that passed this.

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/html/security_features.en.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah i sue the scratch test in work all the time, have a marker to check them aswell to make double sure of ones that are sketchy.

Got one last week but i followed the fella who gave it to us and took him back to the shop.
    its so annoying getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You can be sure anyone working with money everyday will use the scratch test. In the top middle of the note there is a rectangle. Try scratch this area from left to right and you should feel and hear ridges.

I work in a company, we take in a lot of money, (Mostly 50's) you pick up a couple of ways to check a dud one

I worked in the wacky apple one night (2 years ago) a person wanted to pay with a €500.00 note, the bar manager wouldn't accept it, in the end we had to just give them free drink, technically we had to accept it, but i doubt many places will accept a 500 note,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    I work in a company, we take in a lot of money, (Mostly 50's) you pick up a couple of ways to check a dud one

I worked in the wacky apple one night (2 years ago) a person wanted to pay with a €500.00 note, the bar manager wouldn't accept it, in the end we had to just give them free drink, technically we had to accept it, but i doubt many places will accept a 500 note,

You only have to accept legal tender to pay off a debt. So unless the person was paying off a tab you could insist on being paid in magic beans.

dayshah wrote: »
    Getting stuck with a dud €50 is unusual.

Normally you don't get a €50 as change. I mean, how often do you ever spend a €100 note?

Yeah true, but as I said it was my Dad's 70th a few weeks ago so it was probably doing the rounds.

As regards the cops they were ok - like what can they do in reality- My best make is a Garda and he was telling me it seems to be rampant at the moment which makes sense given the economy at the moment.

But as I said I'll be making sure I check them in future - it wasn't a nice experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Murty Walker must be back in town ;)

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    In relation to the €50 only available in the bank machines, it's just that they haven't been filled up yet, you'd be shocked how much cash those things take but they don't show up as needing filling until they are empty.

Not quite true, there is a shop near the Industrial Estate (back entrance) which has asked that the machines only be filled up with €50 notes by the shop owners.

Advertisement