Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are you single?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

bnt wrote: »
    I don't want children, which tends to limit my options somewhat. (With this world in the state it's in, having kids is foolhardy, and no, I'm not going to inflict more people on it just to cover my pension - if I ever get to retire.)

I might meet someone who says she doesn't want children, and she might even mean it at that time, but I've seen what happens when the baby clock strikes 30 and the friends are all pushing strollers. All good intentions go out the window, and women will lie, cheat, steal, whatever it takes to get the bun in the oven, and damn the consequences.

Works both ways, trust me.
    I'm 26 and I've already started dumping blokes because they get all freekin broody. Stupid hourglass figure. :mad: *cuts hips off* :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

single on weekdays... the weekend.. well thats a different story ;)

You pretend you're in a relationship to avoid women ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Until just over a year ago, I would have said shyness/being a complete social retard.

I've had enough of blaming myself though. They just weren't patient enough to get to know the real me, so their loss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Wow... That sounds bitter! What happened?!

And "having kids is foolhardy"... Bit much? Jesus, I'm not even twenty and to me kids are still an STI but I wouldn't exactly call having kids a stupid thing to do...
    It didn't happen to me, if that's what you mean - I was just a witness to the carnage, and that's all the detail you're getting.
    bronte wrote: »
    Works both ways, trust me.
    I'm 26 and I've already started dumping blokes because they get all freekin broody. Stupid hourglass figure. *cuts hips off*
    Oh, I believe you. There are times when I imagine how it might go. I'm pretty sure I could do a better job at it than my own parents, and I would probably find the experience rewarding. Then I wake up and realize that such thoughts are selfish, since the world does not need my progeny.

As for the wisdom of having kids in general: I'm guessing you haven't seen Idiocracy, have you? It might be a comedy, but there's many a true word spoken in jest. :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Ah i dunno, i beg to disagree... No matter how busy i am i always have time for boys :D when i like them!

Hmm... Maybe cause i'm female; but eh friends with benefits are everywhere:D

Oh if I actually felt something for them that would be a different story.
    But I haven't felt any strong feelings for anyone in all this time.
    There is the odd one every now and again to pass the time but I wouldn't be bothered going out of my way to see them on a regular basis.

I'd prefer friends with benefits who know how to keep their mouths shut. ;)

But small towns all around not a hope of that. Everybody knows everybodies business :mad:
    Pyr0 wrote: »
    Single for a good few months now, eight I think. Been in relationships pretty much since I was 14, I'm now 20 ! I kinda like trying to be happy by myself and not needing someone there, makes me feel stronger as person to an extent. I've seen one or two people casually over those months but neither of them I 'felt' something with or saw it going anywhere good.

I'm still feeling the burn of my last relationship which was the most serious one emotionally for me, brought me down a few steps when it ended. I guess I'm weary of becoming close to someone like that again, as Abitar put it.

That's basically me. Yet I'm quite happy the way I am now at the same time. Whoever my next relationship is with...whenever that even happens, they sure as hell will have to get along with my mates.
    If they even dare to refer to one of them as a nerd/hippie/freak they will get their asses dumped then and there. :mad:

Relationships are a nightmare when you have to balance them with your friends and either side hate each other! >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I turned 36 and given that I'm not "settled" one of my nieces declared that it made me officially a bachelor. :pac:

Now technically i ain't single either, but I've never felt any overwhelming desire to settle down or have sprogs (eww) so I can't see any reason to do it. I suspect many people go down that whole settling down route for their own emotional/physical/financial security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Oh if I actually felt something for them that would be a different story.
    But I haven't felt any strong feelings for anyone in all this time.
    There is the odd one every now and again to pass the time but I wouldn't be bothered going out of my way to see them on a regular basis.
    Ah, i know what you mean here...
    I'd prefer friends with benefits who know how to keep their mouths shut. ;)
    Like exactly what will they say? Oh; he's my FWB? Doesn't make sense!:confused:
    But small towns all around not a hope of that. Everybody knows everybodies business :mad:
    Very true!
    That's basically me. Yet I'm quite happy the way I am now at the same time. Whoever my next relationship is with...whenever that even happens, they sure as hell will have to get along with my mates.
    If they even dare to refer to one of them as a nerd/hippie/freak they will get their asses dumped then and there. :mad:

Relationships are a nightmare when you have to balance them with your friends and either side hate each other! >.<
    Hahaha.... If you like me, you've gotta like my mates:pac:
    That's bs! My relationshp with my mates is and would always be seperate! Ofcourse it would be ideal if a bf gets along with them but i couldn't be bothered! He's dating me not them!

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Like exactly what will they say? Oh; he's my FWB? Doesn't make sense!:confused:

I'm female :p
    So in our local little towns it's alright for the lads to shag whoever they want but a female wanting a healthy sex life is simply scandalous! Just shocking! :p
    Hahaha.... If you like me, you've gotta like my mates:pac:
    That's bs! My relationshp with my mates is and would always be seperate! Ofcourse it would be ideal if a bf gets along with them but i couldn't be bothered! He's dating me not them!

Alot of my different groups of friends are themselves seperate.
    Fair enough my future other half doesn't have to like them all but he will have to at least try and like them. Instead of taking one look at their appearance and writing them off as saddos.
    I'm not going to date someone who constantly disrespects the people in my life who will always be in my life long after they are gone, ya know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I'm not going to date someone who constantly disrespects the people in my life who will always be in my life long after they are gone, ya know :)

No disrespect, but maybe that is part of the problem. If you want to meet someone to settle down with, you can't enter into the relationship with that attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I voted that I'd like a relationship but haven't met anyone, but I should also have voted that I'm kind of ok with being single, wouldn't mind meeting someone but I'm not trying that hard, also.

I guess the second one is true there as well. I know someone who's married and he says he envies me at times as I can do whatever I want. And I'll be honest, while I would like a gf, I love being able to just do whatever I want. I don't have the expectations of someone wanting me to go out and do this and that or the other thing.

If I want to go out, I'll go out. If I want to stay in, I'll stay in. The thing is I could stay in every weekend for months, or I could go out every weekend for a few weeks straight. It really depends on my mood and how I'm feeling. And I like that I can just decide that myself. I don't have anyone sort of pressuring me into going out or going different places. If I want to do something, I'll do it, if I don't, I won't. It's great to have that choice.

I also have a hard time getting excited about stuff I've no interest in and I think when you are seeing someone, you're sort of roped into going to things as the person you're seeing wants to go to them. I guess that is part and parcel of the whole relationship thing.

As the saying goes, to get something you always have to sacrifice something else. But then I don't really see a relationship as being the end of "freedom" as such. Obviously you'll do things with your OH, but at the same time I believe you aren't joined at the hip and it's ok for you and them to go do your own thing with your own friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Hmmm interesting question :confused: I could have chosen a few of the options....too much hurt from previous realtionships which causes me to push nice guys away, I've so many walls built up around me :(
    Insecurities which could cause problems, fear of commitment and when I'm on my own it's safe, I'm happy but when another person is involved that's a scary place :o
    Man I'm depressed now :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I would like a girl friend but some times I dont i like being able to do what i wanna do be sponatinous etc... which i m to adegree, reletionships in my veiw get serious to quick and ultimitly thats what disstroys them.. plus people dont really have the same opinion on whats morally right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I'm not that bothered to put the effort into a relationship at the moment.

It's not being picky but there isn't anyone I find interesting enough to be in a relationship with, at the moment I friends rather than boyfriends.

No disrespect, but maybe that is part of the problem. If you want to meet someone to settle down with, you can't enter into the relationship with that attitude.

No worries, I knew someone would pick up on that part :D

That's why I was saying if or whenever I have another relationship.....well I know what I want now. Fair enough compromise has to come into the equation sometimes in relationships. But whoever I end up with will have to be an open person and will be the type who LIKES to meet new people and make new friends no matter what music/clothes/job they have/like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

is it just me or would anyone find it weird havin a gf? i wouldnt no wat to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I dont see the point of a relationship apart from regular sex. 99.9% end in heartache for one or the other and even if you are with each other for the rest of your lives one of you are gonna die 1st so the other will live the rest of their years heartbroken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

A string of messed-up relationships put me off for a long time, and now I just don't feel like it any more. I wouldn't mind being in one, but I'm not so interested that I'm actively pursuing it.

Couple that with the fact that I work unsociable hours, and even at the best of times I'm not particularly sociable anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

After 115 odd posts and currently in a relationship topping the poll how am I the only one pro-relationships??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Everyone post a pic and I'll tell you why you're single.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Because Im socially inept and my only human contact is internet message boards...
    (that is the most common answer isn't it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

After 115 odd posts and currently in a relationship topping the poll how am I the only one pro-relationships??

I don't think you are the only one who is pro-relationships. I always suspect there are people who say they're ok with being single but you get the feeling they are just saying that and it's not actually true. I'm not pointing any fingers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

I'm defo pro-relationships. I think a lot of the doubts people have here is because they haven't met the right person to be honest. The right person isn't going to nag you or make you do stuff you don't want to do, not all women are like that (or men!)! And when they do meet the right person it's not an effort cos you're mad about them and you want to spend time with them! And it's a great feeling too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

I'm single and I would hate to be in a relationship. I had boyfriends from 16 until last summer and I'm now officially on strike from guys.
    I got into an intense relationship with a guy when I was in a bad, dark place and he took advantage of my vunerability. Now a year after he broke up with me he's harrassing me and won't leave me alone, he's bad news. I'm don't trust any guys now and the thoughts of being in a relationship again makes my skin crawl.
    I'm single but not interested in guys or dating, I won't be for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Single due to the fact i seem to mostly attract the bunny boiler typers and have had enough drama for several life times.

Still working on a filtering system but i still havent figured out a nice way of saying to a girl

"Are you sane?"

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Agent J wrote: »
    Single due to the fact i seem to mostly attract the bunny boiler typers and have had enough drama for several life times.

Still working on a filtering system but i still havent figured out a nice way of saying to a girl

"Are you sane?"

LOL the problem there is a lot of them don't know that they're not sane !!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

previous serious girlfriends left me due to my lethargic attitude. Last one broke up due to long distance issues. God I loved her... f*cking bitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

I always tend to look for faults in girls I date before looking for positives. Does this make me shallow, picky, or do I just have high standards?

I met this girl recently, who I had been attracted to for a little while beforehand. So she gave me her number, we met up, text for a bit, met up again, and then for no real reason I just decided I couldnt be bothered.
    This sort of thing happens alot with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

bazmaiden wrote: »

Also resembles a horn.

Very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

tink2 wrote: »
    LOL the problem there is a lot of them don't know that they're not sane !!!

I know, thats only the first test.

Next comes the questionnaire... then the psychologist taking notes on the first date. "Its ok, you can ignore him. He'll just be taking some notes during dinner"
    While my friends perform background checks on her.

Yeah it'll be a while before i even think of going anywhere near anyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'm a long time single. Wouldn't mind being in a relationship but just haven't met the right person. But at the same time,i'm ok with being single. Also,i think i'm better having my own life sorted 1st before i find someone to share it with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

The biggest problem with being single is that girls have all the boobs :mad:
    I just wanna play with them, its not like I wanna talk to a woman or anything

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Going out with a girl a while now, we're both young and stupid so you can't know how it will go in the future, but I'm happy with things for now and that's all I realy care about.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Gay dudes are so lucky. They can have real interests in common with their partner. They'll both enjoy going to chick flicks, both enjoy endless hours of clothes shopping, both enjoy interior decorating. And to top it all off they get to shag each others brains out too. Compare that to a straight man who has to endure chick flicks, shopping and interior decorating for just alittle bit of shagging.........maybe.

Yeah, im single btw! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Like to play, and don't have to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Like to play, and don't have to ask.

Golf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

By choice at the moment - and genuinely happy this way... but that could change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Misery loves company :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I am single because the other option made me unhappy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've concluded the only reason I'm single is because I'm so insanely hot that guys are too afraid to come near me and I can't bring myself to lower myself to go ask someone. *sigh* beautiful people have it so hard sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

lonad wrote: »
    Golf?
    Ask Tiger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

cafecolour wrote: »
    Folks that are single, why? By choice or because you have met the right person yet?

It may sound harsh, but from what I've seen mostly, single people are just loosers. The don't look after themselves:

- Hair can look really good if you want. If there is a will there is a way.
    - Dentist, dentist, dentist. Make sure your teeth are white and your breath is nice and fresh.
    - Skin, pimples, allergies or other skin diseases/conditions - go to the doctor if you need to. It's 21 century.

They often don't have any style, any intersting personality, any skills, they happen to be boring, sleazy and just have "something" that keeps the opposite sex far, far away. More than likely it's overall sexual unatractiveness and lack of confidence.

Not all of them obviously, but at least singles I know. All that "I don't mind being single" is in 95% a smoke screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I picked "I'm single and far too stuck in my ways to be in a relationship." but to tell the truth it's probably because I'm ugly.

azezil wrote: »
    I've concluded the only reason I'm single is because I'm so insanely hot that guys are too afraid to come near me and I can't bring myself to lower myself to go ask someone. *sigh* beautiful people have it so hard sometimes.
    Try bare-knuckle boxing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Pictures or get out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

you should pray to god that your afliction wears out fast..... :)

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    It may sound harsh, but from what I've seen mostly, single people are just loosers. The don't look after themselves:

- Dentist, dentist, dentist. Make sure your teeth are white and your breath is nice and fresh.
    - Skin, pimples, allergies or other skin diseases/conditions - go to the doctor if you need to. It's 21 century.

They often don't have any style, any intersting personality, any skills, they happen to be boring, sleazy and just have "something" that keeps the opposite sex far, far away. More than likely it's overall sexual unatractiveness and lack of confidence.

Not all of them obviously, but at least singles I know. All that "I don't mind being single" is in 95% a smoke screen.
    From what I've observed, single people like the ones you describe, are in the minority rather than the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

that is some sweeping statement Dr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Youve changed Dr Phil. You used to be encouraging and helpful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Pfft. Are you taking the piss?

Or maybe they just want to be single.

• Advertisement

Dr. Phil has one good point there.....TEETH.

Brush your teeth for the love of all that is holy!!!
    It's not that feicing hard >.<

Advertisement